HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sunscreen
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:30 am 

I've ridden nearly every day for the past two and a half years in the Alps or South East Asia and worn no protection.

I've never burned as I tend to sweat a lot when riding but I have noticed the ageing effect of the sun on my exposed skin. Or maybe that's just the ageing effect of getting near fifty...

Anyway, my vanity now makes sure I put on Riemann P20 before riding.

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:30 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 am 

wassertreter wrote:
Hey the Neutrogena sounds interesting -- is it chemical or physical filtering though? I've been moving to physical ones over the health concerns that were already mentioned above.

It is only chemical I believe... From their website all the active ingredients are some kind of chemical instead of physical block (no titanium dioxide or zinc oxide): Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 15%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 2.8%, Oxybenzone 6%

I've had a cyclist and runner friend recommend Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen to avoid the chemicals. Looking online it looks like they use zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide. That may be worth researching. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:25 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
And now for the most important attribute about sunscreens ... how much do they weigh?

But seriously folks, there doesn't seem to be much attention paid to how well the protection holds up under hours of intense sweating, as with cycling. Most sunscreens mention the need for frequent reapplication. Even the waterproof (e.g., Coppertone) or sweat resistant (e,g., Banana Boat) sunscreens can only hold up so well to prolonged sweating, and whether they accomplish more (vs. "regular" sunscreens) than reducing the amount of sunscreen getting into your eyes as you sweat is not clear to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:37 pm 

I burn easily. On the days where I'm spending 3hr+ on the bike I will often carry a small packet of sunscreen and reapply.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:03 pm 

I burn VERY EASILY, as well and I have used:

Coppertone 75+ (I think) the (UltraSport, sweatproof stuff) UVA/ UVB
== works great for up to 8hrs (for me).
But they added some type of "antioxident" to it an it made me GREEN :mrgreen: --to that is out for me now.

Neutrogena 100 UVA/UVB (mainly for my face & neck)
==works good for up to 8 hrs. (for me)
Pretty good stuff, but a littly pasty if you don't rub it well
It leaves leaves white marks on sunclass rubber etc...(it can be cleaned off)

Neutrogena 50+ (spray stuff) UVA/UVB
==works well for up to 4 hrs (so far) (for me)
I like this the best becase it is easiest. I can spray it in my hair and down the part in my hair (a lot of folks forget about these areas)

Banana boat (50+, I think) UVA only or UVB only (I can't remember off hand)
==It works great for up to 8 hrs (for me), but.....
I stopped using it because it is not both UVA & UVB (I double & triple checked the bottle and it says only one, I just can't remember which one)
I should look for another of this brand that is both UVA/UVB

Hope that is a little helpfull.
I am wrong the person for sun, so I don't take chances.

I get checked the same time each year, from-head-to-toe, by a Dermatologist.

I haven't needed to reaply, but maybe I should.

Last edited by carbon2329 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:07 pm 

And remember some of this stuff is full of parabens and other petroleum destillates which may or may not be a detriment to your health and may or may not cause malignant neoplasms after years of exposure (and the combined exposure from other paraben sources)...! :roll:

I'll wear sunscreen early in the season, and especially when I go training in the Canaries in the middle of winter, and then reduce the amount as the summer moves on and my tan and the body's response with pigmentation is improving.. and I apply the sunscreen early before I go out. Somehow I feel that it sticks better to my skin and requires more sweat before it is removed. If I start sweating with freshly applied sunscreen on my body, most of it just runs off.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:54 pm 

I have used Kinesys spray sunscreen the past couple years.
The sunscreen goes on shiny and slick but dries to a dull non greasy layer.
I don't really know how long the sun protection will last time wise?
but I have never gotten burnt or even tender after riding 6 hours in the sun and I sweat alot!

there are coupon codes online for 20-40% off http://www.kinesys.com/ that have always worked for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:00 pm 

wojchiech wrote:
do UV arm sleeves actually work? do they actually fully protect against UV rays and tanning? I'm thinking about getting a pair, my arms are tan enough :lol:

Yes. :D I use the white Pearl Izumi Sun Sleeves. They're supposed to have an SPF rating of 40. I ride under intense sun, and I have never been burned using them. My arms are a little tan, however, so a little must get through. 8)

I have hairy arms, which I hate slathering with sunblock.

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:42 pm 

I also use the Pearl Izumi UV arm sleeves. They are fantastic! I wholeheartedly recommend them. I can feel a tremendous difference when wearing them in the hot sun compared to riding with bare skin and sunscreen.

When I was riding in North Queensland, Australia I made some long treks out into the desert. I found the arm sleeves a much better option than sunscreen... and more comfortable than a long-sleeved jersey, which is what many of my riding companions wore.

Also, I have some extensive tattoos. I found that, even with SPF 50 or higher, my tattooed skin burned very quickly. I tried using zinc-oxide instead of sunscreen but even that runs off after a few hours in the sun. The arm sleeves are the best option.

I wear a coolmax beanie to keep my head from burning through the vents of my helmet. I'm not bald, but I guess things are thinning out up there. The one area that I am constantly smothering with sunblock is the back of my neck and ears. They tend to roast.

I use Coppertone Sport "breathable" sunscreen for that. It is SPF 50 and comes in handy 1-ounce tubes that are great to stuff in a jersey pocket.

English Custom Steel Internal di2
Litespeed Ghisallo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:46 am 

Are those Pearl Izumi UV arm sleeves basically light arm warmers, and as such , do you find them to make you hotter when riding on a hot day?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:10 am 

Absolutely not! Only the upper side is "solid" material. The back side, under the arm, is mesh. The material is very light. I honestly feel my arms cool off when when I slip them on during sunny days. The difference is amazing. They really do a great job "reflecting" the heat. I use only the white ones. Perhaps they come in other colors and the sensation is not the same. I don't know. But there is a noticeable cooling affect while wearing these. Once I put them on, I have never had the urge to take them off during a ride.

English Custom Steel Internal di2
Litespeed Ghisallo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:13 am 

at least 30 or 50+ factor for me, don't care about tanning at all, but I do care about burning my skin, face and arms.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:59 pm 

wojchiech wrote:
do UV arm sleeves actually work? do they actually fully protect against UV rays and tanning? I'm thinking about getting a pair, my arms are tan enough :lol:

Yes, they work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:12 pm 

100 on the face, neck, ears. Then spray 50 on the arms and legs. Afternoon rides in Orlando are brutal in the summer. Our uv index is always high. I don't burn but get darker, tan lines are bad at the moment. Do have friends that have developed skin cancer.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:12 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:24 pm 

Well, Peal Izumi also makes UV sun knees (leg sleeves) http://www.pearlizumi.com/publish/conte ... 71202.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . As with UV arm sleeves, they are available in white or black, although the Pearl Izumi logo on the white is an "unnecessary", albeit small, amount of black.

xnavl8v8r, which model of arm sleeves do you have,
the cheaper, heavier, higher protection (UP-50, UPF 40+ on top) http://www.pearlizumi.com/publish/conte ... 9.html#508" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , or
the more expensive, lighter, lower protection (UPF 40) http://www.pearlizumi.com/publish/conte ... 3.html#508" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
Have you thought of trying the UV leg sleeves?

There's also these http://seavenger.com/arm-warmer-cover-p ... p-745.html ? Has anyone tried them and compared to either Pearl Izumi model of arm sleeve?

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next