Quarq Garmin Edge front of bar mount

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

sancho3000

by sancho3000

DesignCycles wrote:You can also try the FlipLoc from Design Cycles. It comes in two versions, one for standard 31.8mm handlebars and another for 22.2mm aerobars.

Do you plan on making one for edge 800 too?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DesignCycles

by DesignCycles

sancho3000 wrote:
DesignCycles wrote:You can also try the FlipLoc from Design Cycles. It comes in two versions, one for standard 31.8mm handlebars and another for 22.2mm aerobars.

Although the FlipLoc was not designed for the larger overall dimensions of the Edge 800, I know of a few who are using such a setup without any problems. The issue I have seen when incompatibilities occur is the 800 bumps into the stem bolts as you give it a quarter turn. The geometry of these bolts obviously vary from on stem to the next. As for future development, we have added it to the list, but the current priority is a mount for the 310XT/910XT. We will post updates on our site and FB page if you want to follow our new developments.
www.designcycles.net

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Just picked up the Bar Fly - not bad at all. Pricey for a piece of plastic though...

Sometimes I wonder why we bother with the Garmin for racing at all - KPH / MPH is irrelevant. If you see someone in front of you, you are not the fastest. If you are racing you know what a "proper" cadence feels like. If the grade is steep my legs and lungs are telling me that already. ;-)

In all seriousness tho, I think Garmin needs to start working on making units like the Edge 500 a lot lighter. It's massive compared to the "old" standard Cateye etc. Sure, it does more, but it's HUGE.

deek

by deek

The Garmin is still useful for racing. Power is always useful. Distance is useful in a road race and time is useful in a crit. The Edge 500 was also only 14g heavier than my Cateye once you included the mounting hardware as well.

DesignCycles

by DesignCycles

sancho3000 wrote:

We have been busy testing some new versions of the FlipLoc mounts. There will be an updated version for standard 31.8mm handlebars and another for 22.2mm aerobars. Each will be compatible with the Garmin Edge 800/500/200 and Forerunner 310XT/910XT. We also have some colorful and lightweight hardware that will become standard equipment very soon. Keep up with our site or FB page for updates.
www.designcycles.net

DesignCycles

by DesignCycles

sancho3000 wrote:

The FlipLoc STD-X for the Edge 800/500/200 is now available and all our items are on sale through the end of the year. See our site for more details: www.designcycles.net

DartanianX

by DartanianX

mellowJohnny wrote: In all seriousness tho, I think Garmin needs to start working on making units like the Edge 500 a lot lighter. It's massive compared to the "old" standard Cateye etc. Sure, it does more, but it's HUGE.

Soon you'll be able to have the best of both worlds with the new Cateye GPS computer

http://road.cc/content/news/64890-eurob ... -computers

djconnel

by djconnel

Impressive! I've not done a RR in a few years, but if I did I would try to use the Edge 500 course navigation, since it shows an altitude profile of upcoming terrain. I think that would be useful on unfamiliar courses. It's not super-easy to use, and it's prone to signaling "off-course" when riding in GPS-challenged areas, but still I think there's benefit to knowing how far is left on a climb, or if the direction is going to change on a windy day.

The Edge 800 is stronger here, but it's too bulky for racing, I think.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

djconnel wrote:since it shows an altitude profile of upcoming terrain. I think that would be useful on unfamiliar courses.

Please note that the Garmin shows an altitude profile, but this is based on your virtual partner and its average speed. If you're riding slower or faster than your virtual partner than the Garmin will not show the altitude of the place you're riding, but of the place of your virtual partner. The off-course notifications are not caused by lack of satellite reception, but by the quality of the route (number of track points). It's kind of hard to explain it in English for me and it's slightly off topic but I thought this information could be useful for you.

If you have any questions about the Garmin's route function you can always PM me. I've used it extensively. And still do actually!

slyboots

by slyboots

Do you mean that while Edge 500 shows route based on your actual location, it doesn't do the same for altitude profile? And where does it get this "virtual partner" data from for a route just downloaded from internet?
I have no way to try it at the moment, but it sound rather strange and illogical.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

It IS strange and illogical. But I'm afraid it is true. You can change the average speed of your virtual partner with a variety of programs, such as Garmin MapSource, TCX converter, etc. But sometimes it is hard to judge upfront how fast you will be riding, especially in unknown terrain.

slyboots

by slyboots

Well, I did a hike with my Edge 500 yesterday and it showed altitude profile just fine. The main problem with both "map" and altitude profile is that there seems to be no way to change their scale manually, and automatic changes are rather bad for a tough hike on a hardly visible trail.