HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Post subject: Vitus Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:45 pm 

I have come accross an early Vitus bike from a friend and he has asked me if its worth anything. I have a read tons of posts around here and on the net and wanted a honest opinion if its worth listing it here or ebay or somewhere else. Its in original condition nothing broke but not clean with original components. It looks like this http://www.vitusbikes.com/vitus/heritag ... ZxNhXOkfR2 but with black tubes and all Shimano 600 except the bars are Cinelli and the stem is Cinelli and the seatpost is Campy. Any opinions are welcome. :thumbup:

Post subject: Vitus Bikes
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:45 pm 

Post subject: Re: Vitus Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:29 pm 

I have one. its bonded aluminum and it scares me. Its a cool bike, I just need to glue the tubulars and ride it more.Other than that I can't tell you much.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:58 pm 

shoemakerpom2010 wrote:
I have come accross an early Vitus bike from a friend and he has asked me if its worth anything. I have a read tons of posts around here and on the net and wanted a honest opinion if its worth listing it here or ebay or somewhere else. Its in original condition nothing broke but not clean with original components. It looks like this http://www.vitusbikes.com/vitus/heritag ... ZxNhXOkfR2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but with black tubes and all Shimano 600 except the bars are Cinelli and the stem is Cinelli and the seatpost is Campy. Any opinions are welcome. :thumbup:

They were widely used for one race by pros, then tossed. My Dad had one and it apparently cracked easily, as did many. For the most part they lost stiffness extremely fast and miiiiiight be a collector's item, but not a high dollar one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:47 pm 

I know what you mean by flexing. My buddy sat on it and I swear I could see the frame flex like a z-rim from 30 years ago. He took it to the shop and had them tune it a little. I am just thinking the frame would be the only thing someone would care about since the wheels and all the parts are corroded and probally 5 or 6 speed. If I list it what would a good price point be. I want to let him know if its even worth it to ship or go local. The problem with local I feel nobody in my area would be interested. :noidea:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:18 pm 

Its a vitus 979, I had one and its a bit of a collectors item nowadays.

I'd love another one but my GFsays I am not allowed to add to my collection.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:31 pm 

I will take pictures on Saturday and put it up here so maybe somebody wants a project to do. If it was me I would strip the frame minus the bb since that might be hard to get and build a ww special. The angles alone look very racy. Unfortunatley the funds don't allow another project for me at this time. thanks for the help fellows. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:31 am 

Vitus 979s were actually quite durable. I used mine as my only bike- racing and training- for 5 years. I quit riding and put it in the attic, then got it back out 10 years later when I got back into riding. I used it for a while, then turned it into a rain bike.

The 979 Carbone was noted for the tubes coming unbonded. The regular dural aluminium ones didn't have that problem very often. Harry Havnoonian had a service of re-bonding Vitus frames and even made his own similar frame for a while.

The later 979s have a really stupid seat post fixing screw- it's a set screw that pushes on the post. It does have a flat end but it'll dent light seat posts (i.e. American Classic). The screw also seizes in the lug.

The ride is quite nice. It's comparable to my better riding carbon frame. The fork is aluminium and not as nice riding as a good carbon fork. The frame is flexy. It doesn't bother me, and it didn't bother the large number of pros who rode 979s in the 80s. Many teams got 979s painted to look like the sponsor frames. It was one of the lighter frames you could get back then. It's heavy now at 1600g.

You can modernize 979s with newer kit but the frame is 126mm and can't be cold set. I'm leery of just spreading it with a 130mm wheel, so I found an old 126mm wheel in the attic that takes hyperglide cogs and did a 8 of 9 on 7 setup. You could do 9 of 10 if you have 10sp kit. The BB shell is normal 68mm english.

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:31 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:22 am 

KWalker wrote:
They were widely used for one race by pros, then tossed. .

I'm 99,99% sure thats a myth. There is no evidence for that story, actually, the evidence for catastrophic failures is also almost non-existent!

The reason is that if it fails, it fails at the bonds and this is announced by a lot of creaking. Nobody with a brain would ride on, you would need it to be rebonded.