USADA Banned Armstrong new Doping Allegations

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Ghost234

by Ghost234

maquisard wrote:
airwise wrote:Why, if they had all of this evidence, did the Federal Investigators close their investigation almost overnight with no charges being made?

- The burden of proof required in a Federal case is much tighter. Cases can be thrown out on technicalities. This evidence didn't meet those requirements.

To further this:

To convict someone through the judicial system, they must be guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. This means that if there is ANY possible chance, that the evidence does not meet these requirements - he could be found innocent. (think OJ Simpson). Without a "smoking gun", the case is mostly circumstantial (although highly so) - and would likely have very little success in court. Not to mention the Barry Bonds case for perjury took years to resolve, imagine how long it would take federal prosecutors to prove Armstrong used PED's - thereby defrauding the US government beyond a shadow of a doubt. Armstrong would likely employ a must stronger defense than Barry Bonds.

However, to convict him through civil means, you simply have to prove that the burden of proof exists for such an event to have transpired a certain way. The USADA used this action to convict him. Because they (were to) proved that there was an overwhlelming chance that Armstrong did infact that PED's, he would be guilty (although he decided to not fight the charges).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I feel for a certain friend of Michael Barry's on here, who was convinced he was clean.

Guess you really never can know (short of the lab results and witness testimonies of course ).

J-Nice

by J-Nice

Check out the latest controversies in sport-

http://berzin.blogspot.com/

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

what a lovely read. especially Levi asking Bruyneel to set up a doping program for le Tour (78)vand Dave singing his EPO song (32). and they get what, six months? :lol:

after digging through both of them i feel the notion of either banning all pro cyclists on earth or forgiving all their sins and just letting them be as they are, is becoming more and more justified

oh, and one more thing, where is this devil Lance chasing his mates with bags of blood and forcing them to dope or else...?
Last edited by tymon_tm on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Only a matter of time before DZ's Epo song is put on youtube to music. lol

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Regarding Levi Leipheimer's affadavit:

On p. 2 paragraph 14. "I have more podium finishes in grand tours than any American cyclist other than Greg Lemond and Lance Armstrong." So with the USADA ruling, is Leipheimer now number 2 among Americans in grand tour podium finishes (presuming retracted results don't count)? Actually, Leipheimer signed the affadavit on September 21, 2012, which is after USADA stripped Armstrong's results, so does that make Leipheimer's statement not correct in some sense? It's also interesting to note, that Leipheimer admitted (p. 11) to doping in the 2007 TdF in which he placed 3rd. Does he get to keep that podium finish? And this was after what some poster here said was the 2006 ending date for admitted doping.

On p. 13 paragraph 98: My favorite quote. This is fantastic. "I recall in 2009 or 2010 discussing with Lance a theoretical new drug being discussed in the media. I asked him if he knew anything about it and his response was "you know I am always down for it" by which I understood him to be saying that he was always willing to try a new doping product.

Will this be the new Nike slogan "I am always down for it"?

worstshotever

by worstshotever

Hammertime, love that second quote.

Anyone else get the feeling that the text to Mrs. Liepheimer in Ca. while the Mr. was at LeTour was something of a solicitation to "just do it"? That's one way to punish a disloyal lieutenant.

rico

by rico

Ther have probably been lots of posts like this, but as a long time WW poster I...I almost don't know what to say. I remember driving back from what still ranks as one of my best races ever in 2004 with a more cynical teammate. He said 'Lance is on it'. I said if he's on it the sport is over for me.

And he was. Screw you Lance.

jsinclair

by jsinclair

@rico: the sport is bigger than one piece of shit

rico

by rico

Yeah I know. It won't stop me from getting on my bike :twisted:

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Can people now apply for refunds for their Trek Madones, as they were purchased under false pretenses?

tranzformer

by tranzformer

rico wrote:Ther have probably been lots of posts like this, but as a long time WW poster I...I almost don't know what to say. I remember driving back from what still ranks as one of my best races ever in 2004 with a more cynical teammate. He said 'Lance is on it'. I said if he's on it the sport is over for me.

And he was. Screw you Lance.

It really took one rider to turn you off to pro cycling? lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_do ... in_cycling

"Doping in cycling since 1886 and going strong."

Doping has been with us, is with us and will continue to be with us. Part of our history. Viva la epo!

rico

by rico

That's great. Thanks for proving how cool you are.

bikeman71

by bikeman71

tymon_tm wrote:what a lovely read. especially Levi asking Bruyneel to set up a doping program for le Tour (78)vand Dave singing his EPO song (32). and they get what, six months? :lol:?

I think I captured this very conversation with a photo I took at the Tour of California a few years ago...one of my favorites during a lucky encounter in a parking garage in Sacramento while the team was prepping for the prologue.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tranzformer

by tranzformer

rico wrote:That's great. Thanks for proving how cool you are.

Not sure what you are trying to say by your comment. Seems a little odd that you gloss over all the other doping in cycling, but LA was the last straw on the camel's back? I just don't get it. "He said 'Lance is on it'. I said if he's on it the sport is over for me. And he was. Screw you Lance." Obviously you are making a poor example to make a point. There are plenty of dopers prior to LA and after that you could have used to quite on the sport. Why LA? Let me guess, you really thought he was clean and are now completely shocked and feel like he lied to you?