USADA Banned Armstrong new Doping Allegations

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I'm not a Lance lover but it will be interesting to see which of your "hypotheticals" J-Nice prove to be fact or fiction...

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

J-Nice wrote:Wishful thinking...

Why is it wishful thinking?

J-Nice wrote:As for the character, ulterior motive, etc. of the accusers, much has been made of Hamilton and Landis, but there are ten riders who gave testimony.

Not all of them could possibly be lying, and all [b]stating the same lie to the letter.

That in itself could be an issue, in that the stories don't match. However the fact that USADA has launched this action would indicate that these sorts of matters are as watertight as they can get. The fact that some of the allegations in relation to the 09-10 period have not been mentioned/rumoured etc till now is also indicative of a tight evidential process.

But then I have seen what exceptional defence lawyers have done to "solid" cases before, so we'll all just have to wait.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

J-Nice wrote:These types of witnesses have, according to you, zero credibility. But these are exactly the type of people whose statements put people in prison.

Ah, you are an idiot. Maybe you should read what I actually wrote as opposed to your interpretation.

And, as I alluded to, you lack any real life experience as to what transpires in courts every day.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Juanmoretime wrote:I don't love Lance since I hear he is a real jerk in person unless it benefits Lance. I do think that if this evidence was known years ago and is just coming up now is BS. It appears more of a witch hunt retaliatory action then a legitimate and timely action for a doping failure. I also agree at Lance's level it is just a level playing field. It's their choice, future life and health they are playing with.

Why would USADA be interested in witch-hunting Armstrong though? Is there some old beef between them?

KB

by KB

I think you have to draw a line between Gravano / Gotti, and Lance.

Lance may not be the nicest person, but he hasn't murdered anyone to my knowledge. Do I think he is guilty. Yes, of course, but then who of his peers were not?; and I assume his accusers are angels with dirty faces; and those accusers will face the wrath of Lance's defence team.

As one old barrister explained to me many years ago when our company was defending an action, he said it's not the law, but who tells the best lies in court. To use a British aphorism: there's no honour among thieves.

If they take his Tours from 1999, then wonder how far down that list they go before they find somebody who is clean.

I'm no apologist for him, but some people seem to think he wouldn't have won a 4th cat race without PED's.

J-Nice

by J-Nice

KB wrote:I'm no apologist for him, but some people seem to think he wouldn't have won a 4th cat race without PED's.

This is an exaggeration, but when you consider the massive amount of drug-taking he is alleged to have done, it puts his talents into a different perspective.

As for the level playing field myth, consider how many riders had direct access to the testing announcements beforehand, and how it has been verified that during the 2009 Tour his team received preferential treatment when meeting up with the testers, giving the team plenty of time to commiserate with the doctors and do what they had to do to manipulate the testing procedures.

Tapeworm-as for me being an idiot, you can think what you want. The real idiots are the ones who truly believe this guy beat all those dopers clean, or that even amongst a doped peloton his natural talents allowed him to annihilate the competition.

The doping and the conditions under which he operated, a veil of protection from the UCI for him and his whole team from the very beginning, are just as potent as the doping program itself. This is what turned a husky classics rider who never exhibited Tour-winning talent in the mountains or on a time trial bike into a seven-time fraud of epic proportions.
Check out the latest controversies in sport-

http://berzin.blogspot.com/

J-Nice

by J-Nice

KB wrote:I think you have to draw a line between Gravano / Gotti, and Lance.

Lance may not be the nicest person, but he hasn't murdered anyone to my knowledge. Do I think he is guilty. Yes, of course, but then who of his peers were not?

My intent wasn't to compare the criminal activity, but to get to the point of witness credibility. Clearly the crimes of the mafia and doping in pro cycling are far and away in different categories, but some people seem convinced that attacking the credibility of a witness will be enough to clear Armstrong, when this is far from the truth.

The essence of my point is to illustrate that people get convicted all the time on testimony from witnesses many people would consider not credible, but it is usually at the heart and the basis for criminal convictions all the time. Tapeworm seems to think otherwise for some reason.
Last edited by J-Nice on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KB

by KB

J-Nice wrote: This is what turned a husky classics rider who never exhibited Tour-winning talent in the mountains or on a time trial bike into a seven-time fraud of epic proportions.

If that's the case we may also throw Wiggins out as well. A trackie even more than a road rider who suddenly becomes a potential GT winner. Like Lance he lost a lot of weight and became focussed. So, we must assume he also has something to hide.

J-Nice

by J-Nice

KB wrote:If that's the case we may also throw Wiggins out as well. A trackie even more than a road rider who suddenly becomes a potential GT winner. Like Lance he lost a lot of weight and became focussed. So, we must assume he also has something to hide.

You are welcome to conjecture at your leisure, but don't put words in my mouth. There is plenty to attack without having to make things up I never said.

As for Wiggins, there is no Contador and no Andy Schleck in the Tour and he has a team of extremely strong domestiques to shepherd him over hill and dale.

There are an inordinate amount of time trial miles that would favor him, and his next strongest challenger isn't known for attacking with brute force in the mountains. Both Wiggins and Cadel Evans ride conservatively in the mountains, and will only attack within meters from the line.

If Wiggins pulls it out, it will be due to gradual attrition and not any type of dominating feats of strength heretofore unseen in his background like Armstrong.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

J-Nice wrote:The essence of my point is to illustrate that people get convicted all the time on testimony from witnesses many people would consider not credible, but it is usually at the heart and the basis for criminal convictions all the time. Tapeworm seems to think otherwise for some reason.

Again, idiot.

Read what I wrote.

I know full well people are found guilty on a regular basis from the evidence provided by witness testimony. In many cases this is all there is. I also know full well that even highly credible and expert witness have have their evidence thrown out by exceptional defence lawyers due to a seemingly meaningless or trivial flaw in that evidence. This is nothing unusual.

And once again (for J-Nice who has reading comprehension issues) the fact that USADA has brought this matter to bear, and that the propensity of civil action after is high, would indicate that their evidence is as watertight as it get under the circumstances.

KB

by KB

J-Nice wrote:
KB wrote:If that's the case we may also throw Wiggins out as well. A trackie even more than a road rider who suddenly becomes a potential GT winner. Like Lance he lost a lot of weight and became focussed. So, we must assume he also has something to hide.

You are welcome to conjecture at your leisure, but don't put words in my mouth. There is plenty to attack without having to make things up I never said.

I didn't put words in your mouth; never attributed my comments to you, I merely pointed out a similar type of scenario where someone would come under suspicion.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

J-Nice has about 1331 posts on this forum and 1330 of them are bout how Lance will be convicted of doping. So please let J-Nice rant all about it. I think it's good for him. No need to get into long drawn out arguments over this.
I thin k Lance sleeps fine over this. Whether he actually does or doesn't is irrelevant to me. Everyone needs some type of job you know: Lance, the guys on the USADA....
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Not totally true Stella. J-Nice had at least 10 posts about how Bertie was stitched up.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

this is sad. mainly because how different sides play with people's naivety. officials, like usada here or aso there, draw a picture of few doping outlaws who profane the values of the great sport of cycling. the fact that their (fat guys) actions are aimed at high-profile cyclists only 'makes it' more credible for public opinion - they outperform, they cheat. the fact that at least some of those allegations are made based on other cyclist's testimonies, remains pretty funny from a logical point of view - reminds me of politicians who accuse one another of corruption or other misdemeanor.

media on the other hand say cycling is dirty, it's a lost cause in the battle for clean sport, a lonely island in the sea of fair play. every time there's a big story on cycling, it's about doping. every longer article, covering a grand tour or smth similar, mentions doping at some point.

cyclists themselves are of course clean. they don't take and don't know. neither do their managers and coaches. from time to time we whitness 'coming outs' from buddy formerly not in the know, but generally speaking - they're happy chaps unaware of existence of doping in their sport, unless we're talking former team mates.

how this relates to LA? how it doesnt. for those who believe in clean, professional sport, regardless of the discipline, i have just one question - can you please give me your dealer's number, cause i want the same stuff you're on
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

J-Nice wrote:He wasn't counting on the investigation going all the way back to 1998 and the possibility of losing ALL SEVEN Tours.
That would put Miguel Indurain back to having the record for most consecutive (5) TdF wins, and tied for the most total TdF wins. I liked Miguel Indurain. I never liked Lance Armstrong. Do you think Miguel Indurain might have partaken of EPO, among other things? His rise to dominance seems to coincide with what Greg Lemond (and maybe Laurent Fignon?) has hinted at as being the beginning of the EPO era in grand tour cycling.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com