HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:04 pm 

I am Staying in Riogordo, Spain nr Lake Vinuela at the end of July and hiring a road bike from cycling rentals, anyone know the area and any routes to recommend?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:58 pm 

Hi, nice place, maybe a little hot in the summer.

From Riogordo there's a nice climb to Colmenar, road A7204, then from Colmenar you either go down to Casabermeja (but from there you go either to Malaga and back from Alto del Leon) or from Colmenar you take A4152 direction Alfarnate and climb Puerto del Sol and go back to Riogordo passing near Periana.

There's a long loop from Riogordo, then Colmenar, over the Puerto del Leon, down to Malaga, then national seaside road to Velez Malaga, then Vinuela (find the old road, not the fast one) and then the long climb on the A7204 to Periana, and then Riogordo again
I did this loop, starting from Malaga town and 30 kms flat road to Velez, thne Vinuela, the hard climb to Periana, and getting home through Riogordo, Colmenar, Casabermeja. after 5 hours alone and a few gels and few coffees, during the 9 kms downhill to Malaga in the late january afternoon cold i wanted to quit cycling :mrgreen:

For longer rides, go to Colmenar (remember it climbs straight away from Riogordo) then Casabermeja, then either Almogia southbound or Villanueva Conception northbound on the A7075

or some loops through Comares, Benamargosa, El Borge etc

Just go to viamichelin.com and see the roads. On google street view you can find all the roads, and panels on the crossroads (i did so for my 5 days there last January)

the back country is quite wild, but i guess during the summer there will be more tourists going around, last winter I really saw few cars.

how many kms every day you plan to ride?

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:58 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:11 pm 

pastronef wrote:
Hi, nice place, maybe a little hot in the summer.

From Riogordo there's a nice climb to Colmenar, road A7204, then from Colmenar you either go down to Casabermeja (but from there you go either to Malaga and back from Alto del Leon) or from Colmenar you take A4152 direction Alfarnate and climb Puerto del Sol and go back to Riogordo passing near Periana.

There's a long loop from Riogordo, then Colmenar, over the Puerto del Leon, down to Malaga, then national seaside road to Velez Malaga, then Vinuela (find the old road, not the fast one) and then the long climb on the A7204 to Periana, and then Riogordo again
I did this loop, starting from Malaga town and 30 kms flat road to Velez, thne Vinuela, the hard climb to Periana, and getting home through Riogordo, Colmenar, Casabermeja. after 5 hours alone and a few gels and few coffees, during the 9 kms downhill to Malaga in the late january afternoon cold i wanted to quit cycling :mrgreen:

For longer rides, go to Colmenar (remember it climbs straight away from Riogordo) then Casabermeja, then either Almogia southbound or Villanueva Conception northbound on the A7075

or some loops through Comares, Benamargosa, El Borge etc

Just go to viamichelin.com and see the roads. On google street view you can find all the roads, and panels on the crossroads (i did so for my 5 days there last January)

the back country is quite wild, but i guess during the summer there will be more tourists going around, last winter I really saw few cars.

how many kms every day you plan to ride?

Thanks man, useful intel - you're right about the heat I stayed in a little place near Jete last year and just rode until i melted! The BH bike I hire is by no means a WW but when the sun is shining I forgot about it! Yep I have been reccying the routes that you suggested and had planned doing those loops taking in the lakes as well. I bet it's a very different place in the winter yeah?!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:20 pm 

Monkeyboy3333 wrote:

Thanks man, useful intel - you're right about the heat I stayed in a little place near Jete last year and just rode until i melted! The BH bike I hire is by no means a WW but when the sun is shining I forgot about it! Yep I have been reccying the routes that you suggested and had planned doing those loops taking in the lakes as well. I bet it's a very different place in the winter yeah?!

in winter it's not bad, but i really had the feeling of being alone in the wild when riding from one village to another. the landscapes are very nice. if you ride into Casabermeja do not enter the village, it's steep and not easy to find you way out. stay on the fast road and follow the road signs.