All I Want is a Pump That Works ...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I am after a compact/lightweight/travel style floor pump. My SKS Renkompressor that is about 30 years old is too heavy to take on a plane.

And the moral of this story is ...

Do not buy a Topeak MegaMorph because you get to about 8 bar and the adapter blows off the tyre valve.

Do not buy a Lezyne Travel Floor Drive because when you unscrew the 'air chuck' the valve core of the tyre unscrews as well.

Jesus Christ, bike pumps have been around for as long as the pneumatic tyre and still people are no good at making them.

Can someone please recommend me one that works? Thanks.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Why would you want a floor pump when traveling?
Why not buy a compact that goes in your pocket.
Are you pumping tubulars? If not you do not need it that often.
Something like a Specialized Air Force 4 pump or similar.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

daj

by daj

Replace the Lezyne head with a rennkompressor brass push-on head. Problem solved.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

daj wrote:Replace the Lezyne head with a rennkompressor brass push-on head. Problem solved.

Eureka ... I have just ordered an SKS traditional push-on head. I did actually see a picture of one being used in this way by one of the pro teams a while ago.

Presumably you can fit a trad pump head by using what us Brits call a Jubilee clip? A little metal clip that you tighten with a screwdriver.

djm

by djm

I've found that yes, on occasion the Lezyne pump head can unscrew the valve core. Rarely a problem though, if the valve core has been properly fastened in the valve.. Perhaps the SKS head is better.

sungod

by sungod

do the valve cores up tight and they won't come undone with the lezyne

i simply tighten the cores whenever i get new tubes or fit extenders, mine never come undone

use a valve core tool, and make them *tight*, you could use pliers if you don't have the tool

when travelling, the valves have the lezyne screwed on/off multiple times, they never comes undone

Musiker

by Musiker

One of the most praised pump heads is the "Hirame pump head" - But its bloody expensive..
However I bought a replica hirame pump head of ebay - That actually is pretty well made.
I am using it with my specialized airtool footpump (I dont think the build quality of that pump is very good, but it works flawlessly especially with the "hirame" head).
IMO this pump head is every penny worth so much better than the original pumphead!

Think it is this auction I bought it from:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIRAMI-PROFFE ... 642wt_1396" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: For floor pumps I actually think its the head that is the most important part.
Last edited by Musiker on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fa63

by fa63

I just started using a Giant Control Tower 1 floor pump, works like a charm all the way to 160 psi.

swaits

by swaits

Serfas FMP-500. Has a braided stainless hose and has never failed me. Not cheap, but you can buy it once and use it for a very long time.

https://www.serfas.com/products/view/48 ... loor-pumps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by swaits on Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uraqt

by uraqt

Just saw this today, I would guess this is the "next gen" heads just like an air compressor connection very good idea!!!

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/08/01/fou ... alve-head/

I am using a silca that was made before I was born and will work long after I am dead. :D

C

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

The irony is, that depending on when you were born, if you were using a silca made after you were born, it might stop working long before you were dead, as silicas aren't made as well as they used to be.

uraqt

by uraqt

Nice HammerTime2 :D

Medal base and gage, old school babay!!! Now that I am "bragging" it's molteni orange too!! when they changed to the new school ones I bought 3 for friends and family off ebay :D

C

ross

by ross

This will also prevent unscrewing of valve extenders, the button releases the pressure in the hose

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-floor-pu ... lip-chuck/

howler

by howler

its not a floor pump but i really like the topeak speed master blaster for travel. Its basically a frame pump so while its more work than a floor pump, its alot less to carry (especially when flying) and Iv never had any troubles getting up to 110-120psi with it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

uraqt wrote:Now that I am "bragging" it's molteni orange too!!
Pics, or they didn't happen. Mine is black with yellow lettering.