How snug should shorts fit?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ScottGoBlue

by ScottGoBlue

This may seem like a silly question: I'm wondering if I need to go down a size in shorts?

I tread the line between M and L, typically. I'm currently wearing Sugoi RPM shorts, size L. However, I've lost about 10 pounds since I started really riding harder. Now, I find that I'm constantly hiking my shorts up, or my chamois gets a little bunched underneath.

Does this mean I need to go a size M? Or should I be looking for better chamois? I've tried size M before, and it's a little uncomfortable for walking around, but I've never worn it on a bike.

Thanks, Scott

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

Different brands fit differently. With that said, it sounds like you should go down one size with Sugoi.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Thigh band should be snug, when you are out of saddle the chamois should remain contact.

Look into bib shorts as they are a little more forgiving in waist size changes..

sanrensho

by sanrensho

For myself personally, loose/bunched up shorts are a recipe for saddle sores. Sounds very much like you need to size down.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

They should be skin tight but not cutting off circulation.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Rick

by Rick

My opinion: They should be "quite snug", probably snugger than most people would at first consider a "good fit". The bibs should hold the short up snug in the crotch so it is sort of like wearing a jock strap to keep all the bits in place. The chamois should never "bunch".

I have the same problem; I am between medium and large in a lot of brands and gain weight easily. But every time I order large, I end up not liking the fit after the lycra has stretched a bit; so I now always go with medium even though it feels a little too tight sometimes.

I have some "favorite" shorts, but since they are team kits and the brands seem to keep changing models, I can never find one and be consistent. I generally have good luck with Pearl Izumi, Sugoi, and Castelli. I like the Castelli chamois and fit, but the legs are too short. They are barely mid thigh; I like the longer thigh style.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

cycling shorts are meant for cycling... (not walking...)

Should fit for when you're in a riding position, nothing else.
Official cafe stop tester

ScottGoBlue

by ScottGoBlue

Thanks for the responses, everyone. It seems like my instinct to go smaller are inline with everybody's feedback!

I'll definitely invest in a smaller pair. Debating on whether to step up to bibs, or stick with shorts.

Scott

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

Bibs, no question. You will never look back.

fa63

by fa63

+1. Wear bibs once and you will wonder why you ever even bothered with shorts.

KWalker

by KWalker

your bibshorts should be tight enough so that even the blind can tell if you're circumcised or not
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kac

by kac

KWalker wrote:your bibshorts should be tight enough so that even the blind can tell if you're circumcised or not

That's great!! But, if you're an engineer, they should be tight enough to let the casual and non-technical observer tell which way your vector is pointing

KAC