Washington, DC area wheelbuilder

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

boysa

by boysa

Can anyone offer me a recommendation regarding a competent wheelbuilder in the Washington, DC area? I don't need any elaborate work done, just some truing, but of course want someone who is reliable.

Thanks,
Salvatore
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

On October 27, 2009 in Riding/Living in Washington, DC, HammerTime2 wrote:If you like to ride in the mountains, you like to ride in the mountains on relatively deserted roads, you like to just hop on your bike and in short order be in the mountains, you like to be able to ride year round without worrying about snow, ice, or sub-freezing weather, you like to have a large variety of road races (not just crits) nearby, then NorCal is great and D.C. blows. You have to love the girl more than cycling. It's as simple as that.
You better really love that girl, because you may resent her for making you give up the NorCal riding. By the way, once you move to D.C., you might not ever wind up leaving, whether you want to or not. Yeah, it's only for 3 years ... and it's possible it might be ... and it's possible you'll be stuck there the rest of your life.l.
Did I forget to mention the difference in density of high end bike shops and mechanics?

BTW, as your 3 years is nearly up, I hope you have paid attention to my warning above.

PM sent with specific suggestions I don't feel comfortable airing on the board.

boysa

by boysa

The clock is ticking! Should be out of here the end of this year. Where? No idea yet, but we should find out sometime this summer. I have to say the experience has been... well, let's just say it's been an experience.

BTW: She's worth it, and so is the little fellow who decided to join us!
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

KWalker

by KWalker

HammerTime2 wrote:
On October 27, 2009 in Riding/Living in Washington, DC, HammerTime2 wrote:If you like to ride in the mountains, you like to ride in the mountains on relatively deserted roads, you like to just hop on your bike and in short order be in the mountains, you like to be able to ride year round without worrying about snow, ice, or sub-freezing weather, you like to have a large variety of road races (not just crits) nearby, then NorCal is great and D.C. blows. You have to love the girl more than cycling. It's as simple as that.
You better really love that girl, because you may resent her for making you give up the NorCal riding. By the way, once you move to D.C., you might not ever wind up leaving, whether you want to or not. Yeah, it's only for 3 years ... and it's possible it might be ... and it's possible you'll be stuck there the rest of your life.l.
Did I forget to mention the difference in density of high end bike shops and mechanics?

BTW, as your 3 years is nearly up, I hope you have paid attention to my warning above.

PM sent with specific suggestions I don't feel comfortable airing on the board.

Weird, because MABRA turned out Ben King, Joe Dombrowski, Brent Bookwalter, and a shitload of other pros so the region can't be that bad.

As for competent wheelbuilders there aren't many, but for basic truing talk to Matt at CycleLife in Georgetown and tell him Karsten sent you. If that's too much of a stretch for you try Jared at Haymarket Bikes in Haymarket. I don't know him too well, but their shop does solid work. No matter what DO NOT go to City Bikes or Revolution Cycles. Freshbikes is a nice shop, but I don't know anything about their wheelbuilders, however, they have locations in Arlington and Bethesda if either are closer.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I never said there aren't any good riders in the area. That does not negate anything I said.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I am self-taught and not a professional. but I have built a few sets of wheels for myself, friends, and family. I can definitly tru a wheel... unless it is really ruined. And I work for beer!
:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

Yah, truing should be something that almost any shop can do unless its a really bizarre build.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike