Matching clothing and bikes?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

sjc166

by sjc166

Does anyone else have issues with other riders wearing pro cycling jerseys that don't match the bikes they are riding? Maybe its just my OCD symptoms but I find it funny that someone could ride a Trek bike and wear a BMC jersey....or a Rabobank jersey and ride a Ridley bike.

It's not something that keeps me up at night but when I pass riders that have mismatching stuff I have a bit of a laugh to myself and shake my head.

Am I the only person that's picks up on this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

Wearing pro kit at all is questionable at best.

quattrings

by quattrings

I ride cannondale and wear saxo bank kit occasionally.
What's wrong with that? Is there a dress code in cycling?

I'm so scared the fashion police will pull me over now, I can never ride my bike again.

:roll:

record

by record

Yes, wearing any pro team kits if you are not riding for that team makes you fred.
A light bike does replace good fitness.

sawyer

by sawyer

It does arouse the interest of the fashion police yes. Depends a bit on how strong the associations are, and the colours ...

OTOH a full pro kit on a pro bike might look the part, but then people either think "he's a pro" or "he thinks he's a pro" ... either way the rider in question will be tested to destruction and normally humiliated.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

mjduct

by mjduct

record wrote:Yes, wearing any pro team kits if you are not riding for that team makes you fred.

Why?

I find the pro team kits from the brands that I buy kit from are of great quality, bright colors, and every year they drop the prices unbelievably low when they come out with a new one...

I think I got a 2010 Castelli Team Garmin Jersey and 2 pair of capo bibs this season for a total of 130 bucks!!! Thats over 500 bucks of kit at full retail.

and yeah, I rode my Ullrich-Era Bianchi Jersey on my Cervelo R5 2 days ago...

how can you not respect the Ullrich???

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

record wrote:Yes, wearing any pro team kits if you are not riding for that team makes you fred.

Pretty much.

And there is nothing worse than ridding a trek while wearing Bmc kit or some version of this.
It feels like some one is riding what they can afford and wearing what they'd prefer to be own.

It's very Fred-centric :roll:

I have one team kit and its a condor sharp jersey... It's black ( like my bike ), super nice to ride in, got it on sale and 3 of my riding buddies have em too.. Pretty funny when we all get out in em.

lone wheeler

by lone wheeler

So all three of you pretty much look like freds then?!

Camilo

by Camilo

I think any logo-festooned bike clothing looks ridiculous. Plus I just can't understand why anyone would wear logos of companies from which they receive no consideration. Status? I actually voted against having company logos on my club's jerseys, the rationale being " we can get them for $20 rather than $40". I don't care, I'm not a billboard for the local stockbroker or sports shop, have no desire to be.

I do wear logo-less jerseys from clubs I'm actually in, states I've been to, etc., but not with logos on them. It's one of the reason road cyclists look like such dweebs and poseurs. I don't know any other endurance sport where people just out training or (running, skiing) are so festooned with ridiculous, clownish logos, unless they're actually team kit for a team they're on (or maybe were on in the past).

But that's just me. "Some of my best friends wear the stuff" 8-)

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

Seriously? What does it matter what a guy wears?
K2

Do you suffer more when you train, or cannot train?

sjc166

by sjc166

It doesn't really matter what people wear in the grand scheme of things....but i know that people are really meticulous on WW regarding their bikes and i was curious if that passed onto what they wore as well.

eurperg

by eurperg

Simple: Red bike - red jersey, black bike - black jersey. Fellow riders with unmatching kit are heavily frowned upon... 8) :lol:

record

by record

Camilo wrote:I do wear logo-less jerseys from clubs I'm actually in, states I've been to, etc., but not with logos on them. It's one of the reason road cyclists look like such dweebs and poseurs. I don't know any other endurance sport where people just out training or (running, skiing) are so festooned with ridiculous, clownish logos, unless they're actually team kit for a team they're on (or maybe were on in the past).

That's true. I now run a lot. If I wore a national team kit while running I would look like an idiot. I don't get it why cyclist think it's cool. Well, only freds think it's cool. It's not. End of topic.

BTW For runners it's huge privilege that you can wear a national team kit, it's also kind of a reward for all your years of hard work. Same should go for cycling and in my opinion their kits should not be available for regular buyers, just like it is with running kits.
A light bike does replace good fitness.

artray

by artray

If You like it, wear it. I often wear mountain bike shorts and jerseys. I get the odd comment not nasty but a hint of "it's not the done thing". You will never please everybody. so please yourself . Thats my rule.

Liggero

by Liggero

sjc166 wrote:Does anyone else have issues with other riders wearing pro cycling jerseys that don't match the bikes they are riding? Maybe its just my OCD symptoms but I find it funny that someone could ride a Trek bike and wear a BMC jersey....or a Rabobank jersey and ride a Ridley bike.

It's not something that keeps me up at night but when I pass riders that have mismatching stuff I have a bit of a laugh to myself and shake my head.

Am I the only person that's picks up on this?

I completely agree with you. I have no team kit, but just in case, i have a full black bike, a chinese generic frame, with no logos, so i could ride any kit, or better none, hehehehe. cheers.
Happy Trails !!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com