Being rude on a forum 101

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

109er

by 109er

Guys and gals, as a reader and member it's getting really hard to read this forum. I love this place and what it was originally and intentionally built for. It however, is becoming a place of bigotry and ignorance. No, not ignorance as in someone posting about something that in which they do not know, but instead the rude comments and snide remarks that follow. If somebody posts something that you don't agree with, simply send them a personal message...calling them out publicly on the board is uncalled for and it just creates pages of unreadable material. I don't go to the PRO cycling discussion to read peoples silly arguments. It's getting really lame pretty much everywhere on this forum and its coming from us, the users. So please, I'm asking, us, the users to make weightweenies a better place.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ozrider

by Ozrider

+100 109er

There are a number of real trolls that have popped up on WW.
There is a lot of really useful info and very knowledgable members that provide great builds, feedback and commentary that I have found really helpful when deciding on components, upgrades, etc.
Then there are the TROLLS who provide nothing but criticism of other members bikes, shoot down comments from other members and generally contribute nothing to this site with their inane comments and "facts" which tend to be anything but factual.

Time for the moderators and other users to call them out and have them removed from the WW Forum. Let's get WW back to being about light bikes, fantastic projects, feedback on various cycling projects, great photos and generally a nice place to read posts and gather meaningful feedback.

Cheers
ozrider
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

g_doraz

by g_doraz

+1 for the mods being more vigilant on this forum
Road bike: Pinarello Dogma 60.1
TT bike: Trek Speed Concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I concur.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

OrPe

by OrPe

Agree.

KB

by KB

It has been worse on here. A few years ago there were some people who just wound people up all the time and they were removed. Compared to then, it's much better now.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Ozrider wrote:Let's get WW back to being about light bikes, fantastic projects, feedback on various cycling projects, great photos and generally a nice place to read posts and gather meaningful feedback.

Cheers
ozrider

I couldn't agree more. I want to see more light weight bikes and components, homemade stuff, tunings, etc.

I also agree people are nicer today than they use to be. This place was troll city at one point and a lot of snide comments (alienator anyone?!)

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Kicking people off should be the ultima ratio really. After hanging around for a while you quickly see who's advice/comments to value how much. Much in the real world, when you come across a rather unpleasant individual it's usually the best to go out of their way, rather than winding them up.

In general, compared to other places on the web, things aren't going terribly badly here. That said, I mostly only read "Road", "Training" and "Gallery", and certainly never the Pro Cycling thread :D

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

g_doraz wrote:+1 for the mods being more vigilant on this forum

And Oz, we really do try.

But when we do any combination of the following will occur:

- the poster will either create such a scene that it becomes like a screaming child and it's just easier to let them have their way

- others will chime in with the classic "relax, get out and ride" or "you're over reacting", rendering any point or intervention we're attempting to get across useless

- or we get told that it's an open forum and free speech is their right

Banning people is a last resort and not something we ever want to do. However I joined for the same reasons as you guys did; that this place was amusing at times, informative for the majority and only rarely tedious and abusive. We're trying to uphold that, but it's tricky.

If however either of you believe you have what it takes to contribute then by all means drop Frankie a line and have a dip at being a Mod. Goodness knows we'd like to get it back up to the standard that the users have come to expect.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

Thank you, to all the Mods. You have been doing a great job (and a difficult one).

I have acutally been on the forum less, as of late, becuase it has seems like there is a wave of less than usefull conturbutions.

Even the forsale section has become more difficult. I have been coming accross a lot of scammers (like from craiglist.com, etc...). It seems about 50% responders to things for sale have been attempted scams. (at least for me, lately)

Do we send a PM to the Mods for things like that. (I don't want to be a complainer)

I will do my part to contribute in a meaningful way and thank you, to all, who do the same.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

hear, hear! I like what you are signaling. If you feel offended by a post, or feel that a post is inappropriate please follow the small tutorial i wrote a few moons ago:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=72487
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

bones

by bones

109er wrote:Guys and gals, as a reader and member it's getting really hard to read this forum. I love this place and what it was originally and intentionally built for. It however, is becoming a place of bigotry and ignorance. No, not ignorance as in someone posting about something that in which they do not know, but instead the rude comments and snide remarks that follow. If somebody posts something that you don't agree with, simply send them a personal message...calling them out publicly on the board is uncalled for and it just creates pages of unreadable material. I don't go to the PRO cycling discussion to read peoples silly arguments. It's getting really lame pretty much everywhere on this forum and its coming from us, the users. So please, I'm asking, us, the users to make weightweenies a better place.

I agree. +109. We all can do things to make this a better place. Disagreements are bound to happen in any forum. You are right that publicly calling anybody out is the real instigator, which devolves into namecalling, personal attacks, and getting moderators to come in and act as judges. It's simple. Stick to the rules, and this place is ok.

What has occurred in the past is that disagreements turn to arguments. Arguments turn into personal attacks, with namecalling, obscenity. Then the mods get involved and usually discipline the user with the initial disagreeable opinion, often leaving those who clearly violated the terms of service free to namecall and harass others. We need to get away from the kick out the supposed "troll" mentality. And just enforce the rules.

Namecalling of any sort receives disciplinary action. Obscenity, profanity, also should receives same punishment. These are specific rules, not general ones. The problem is with the generalized interpretations because what is rude to you might not be rude to another. So, we must stick to the specifics. Someone calls anyone a troll or any other name, they should get banned. It clearly states such in the terms of agreement prohibiting namecalling, profanity, obscene language, etc.

109er

by 109er

hear, hear! I like what you are signaling. If you feel offended by a post, or feel that a post is inappropriate please follow the small tutorial i wrote a few moons ago:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=72487]

Thanks for that Frankie. That seems to be the best way to deal with this sort of thing.
Last edited by 109er on Thu May 10, 2012 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

shadwell

by shadwell

I disagree there have been any disagreements.....

I agree to disagree on this point though so as not to disturb the Status Quo..... hmmmm Status Quo.........http://www.statusquo.co.uk/

And with that valuable contirbution.... away...............................

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Although this is a forum where there will always be contentious opinions and ideas (some of which I take umbrage to)...it's a good reminder that some of us are a little harsh (myself included) with our replies and opinions...