Geneva airport onward train journey with a bike bag!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

xcnick

by xcnick

Hi all

I'm heading to the alps this July to see the tour stages (woohoo! 8) ) flying to Geneva and staying in Aix les Baines.

I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of advice about getting a train from Geneva airport. I can't seem to book a train directly from the airport to my destination,( http://www.sncf.co.uk/ ) it seems to be Geneva airport to Geneva, then Geneva onwards. I have called the helpline on the trainline websites only to speak to very unhelpful staff! What I'd really like to know is, is it best just to buy a ticket when we arrive for the train journey or should we book in advance, and can we just hop on with our bikes in bags?

Thank you :D

smck

by smck

There are a few choices but two main ones. A) is to get the coach from the airport straight to Annecy and either get a bus from there to Aix-les-Bains or a train. B) is to get the coach into the Geneva bus station and from there get another bus to Aix. I've never needed to book beforehand and the bikes shouldn't be a problem either.

http://212.203.98.98/WD160AWP/WD160AWP. ... NECT/GRweb is the gare routiere in Geneva.

To find the airport coach timetables, just go to the airport site www.gva.ch
"Je pédale, donc je suis" - René Descartes (I think :D)

2011 Canyon Aeroad CF
2012 Canyon Ultimate Al

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Privateer

by Privateer

SMCK is right- you'll need to get a coach.

The swiss rail website is http://www.sbb.ch" (in English). You might find it easier than SNCF.

If you do need to get a coach from the Geneva coach station (Gare Routiere), or a train from Geneva main station (Conarvin), you can get a train directly to Conarvin from the train station at Geneva airport (Cointrin). It's one stop to the main Geneva station (about 8 mins), and all trains from the airport go to the main station. You can buy a ticket at the station and jump on any train (or jump straight on and buy a ticket from ticket checker on the train).

xcnick

by xcnick

Thank you both very much for the info, very useful. Do either of you have experience with the bikes on one of the coaches, or even the trains? Looking on rail europe, bikes are FOC in a bag up to 120cm x 90cm but obviously bike bags are bigger than that! There'll be 2 of us with a bike each.
Last edited by xcnick on Mon May 28, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

basilic

by basilic

It seems to me that a train will be faster, under 1.5 hrs, e.g.:

Gare/Arrêt Date Heure Voie
Genève-Aéroport Lu, 28.05.12 dép. 14:36 1 IC 731
Genève arr. 14:43 4

Genève dép. 14:59 RE 96642
Aix-les-Bains-le-Revard arr. 16:02

The coach connections are closer to 3 hrs (but I have not searched too thoroughly).
If the bikes are packed they'll likely travel as personal luggage for free, if unpacked you'll pay a small fee.

xcnick

by xcnick

Thanks basilic I figured the train might be a better option. The info on the sites provided is far better than I could find myself!

Thanks again all :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com