olympics ,box hill not for the fans ,now we have to pay

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

The Olympics are being paid for by the public, has sponsorship money too and then the public pays again if they would like to see what they have paid for!

I'll watch it on TV, definitely not going to watch it even though it;s on my doorstep.

Previous Olympians can't even get tickets,the whole thing is a corporate jolly subsidised by the public.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

Agree with airwise on the boxhill point.

One other thing: there is going to be an almightly PR 5hitstorm about the sponsorship deals that have been struck at this olympics. It takes corporate sponsorship to a level that will makes aspects of the experience frustrating, not to mention tacky. Wait and see on this one.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

ticou

by ticou

I've already had the best view; on me big training day last summer, I was on my third ascent the day before the dress rehearsal and the whole Sky team with car passed me like I was standing still. That'll do, I'l watch it on the Box.

tinchy

by tinchy

:lol:
Most recent addition to Olympic course

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

dolophonic wrote:No this is not ok... how about if they try to charge for Alp D'huez.. Galibier ?

They re-routed RVV this year and put in payed spectator zones. I'm pretty sure the world didn't end.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

ross

by ross

artray wrote:I wanted to cycle to box hill or near by, park my bike watch the racing and go home. We are being charged £15 to watch a road cycling race and the chances of getting a ticket are zilch. If you do get a ticket theres going to be nowhere to leave your bike. We should never have to pay, it's just not the done thing. This could set a precedent, how long before the tour starts charging to watch at any of the big climbs. The olympics has turned into a big corporate party and to hell with the real fans .Seb Coe should be ashamed of himself.

So 9 laps of box hill isn't enough to warrant the £15 entry fee?

How about watching them anywhere else on the 250km course for free ya cheapskate

jooo

by jooo

MattSoutherden wrote:
dolophonic wrote:No this is not ok... how about if they try to charge for Alp D'huez.. Galibier ?

They re-routed RVV this year and put in payed spectator zones. I'm pretty sure the world didn't end.

The world didn't end but the route was just really bland, like an Olympics road race course.

ave

by ave

I hope real fans will not pay. It's just not right.

Leave the tickets for non-cyclist Cav fans.

artray

by artray

ross spouted "How about watching them anywhere else on the 250km course for free ya cheapskate"

How about making these olympics live up to there promise as the games for the people .
We have never paid to watch a road race so why start now . These games are a shambolic mess aimed to make money and serve the wealthy . It's Sh$t and unprincipled and it's cost a huge amount of money that we need not have spent i.e we have facilities and venues all over the uk for these events we did not need to build new ones and it would have given the whole of the uk a chance to watch. Instead it's all been built in London and cost a fortune . I'm a London tax payer and we Londoners have paid for these games ,yet very few will see any of it . My son's school as not recieved anything from the olympics not even 1 football. It is a disgrace . As for the cheapskate jibe , Ive flown over all over europe to see cycling so unless you know who you are talking about keep your mouth shut.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

ave wrote:I hope real fans will not pay. It's just not right.

Leave the tickets for non-cyclist Cav fans.

If you want to watch Cav you'll be at the Mall, he isn't going to be anywhere but in the bunch on the Box Hill section. I guess you're not a fan...

You seem to insinuate that "real cyclists" don't pay to watch their sport? If you're a "real cyclist" in the UK you HAVE to pay to watch your sport. the Classics, Giro, Tour of California etc are only on pay TV (unless you use an illegal streaming site of course, but that's your moral dilema), or you need to travel to the continent, which wasn't free the last time I tried.

artray, you don't mind paying to fly to see races abroad but won't pay 15 quid to watch it in your backyard? really?

I'd pay £15 to see the worlds best (sort of) go past 9 times, its less than a pie and a pint in my local.

And yes I live in London, which means I pay toward the games through my council tax, and I happen to think the Olympics are a good thing, stop bitching about the cost and enjoy it.

The Road race IS FREE just not on Box Hill or the Mall, the Olympics is a business and it has been since LA, get used to it
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

artray

by artray

For a start off, you do not pay to watch any race in europe , how you get there is your issue but the race is free, as it was when the tour visited here a few years ago. So lets not change a tradition thats is over 100 years old so some corporates can get the best view. I am not against the olympics ,just against the amount of money it has cost and the fact that only a small percentage of the public will get to see any of it. Olympic 100 metres final over 80% going to corporate ."THESE ARE THE GAMES FOR THE PEOPLE"
we were told, thats bullsh%t and if you have done your due diligence you would know that is FACT.
How come my son's local school is getting no benefit at all from these games. Its a farce. If you want to bow down and let yourself get walked all over then go ahead but if I want to bitch and moan about the way these games have been miss managed and designed for the benefit of the few then I will . where are the tickets for the Londoners who have the paid most ? You go and pay £15 if you want. But Im not givng these greedy corporate ars%h%les a penny more .We were promised that the cycling would be free. If your happy to bend over for Seb and his mates then go ahead. And has for me being a cycling fan ,Ive watched racing all over the world, also I was at the test run for the olympics and watched Cav etc etc and I can tell you that they made a right mess of it. where you there? because if you were, you would know that it was a complete cock up.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

wow! You've really got some issues to work through dude.

In the interim I sugest you go to your happy place and exercise your right not to buy any tickets
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

djconnel

by djconnel

Is be glad they're charging because it makes it easier to get a good viewing spot. If the race is important to you the one time expense should be worth it. If not, you can still watch somewhere else, and the memory of having seen the race will be almost as valuable.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Biff

by Biff

dolophonic wrote:World champs are free to watch, so are Grand tours... i understand why your pissed.

WC are´nt free to watch all around the course.Last year some norwegians bought the entire last 500 meters of the left side of the finishing straight.They were waiting for Thor or Edvald...I was quite amused at the sound of their collective sigh as it was announced that Thor had abandoned :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

artray

by artray

bikewithnoname spluttered "wow! You've really got some issues to work through dude.

In the interim I sugest you go to your happy place and exercise your right not to buy any tickets"

I have no "issues dude" and if your in a happy place all the time ,you need to stop taking the drugs and live in the real world. If you want to pay thats your choice but in the end we will end up paying to see stages of the tour. These games are making huge amounts of money through corporate dealings and the least they could do is to keep there word, that's all, keep there word and not lie and scrap a few more $ out of us for no reason other than to fill there pockets. The Olympic ideal has truly been flushed down the crapper. They are opening the biggest Mc Donalds in the world inside the olympic venue . Wake up.