Being rude on a forum 101

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Dalai

by Dalai

bones wrote:Namecalling of any sort receives disciplinary action. Obscenity, profanity, also should receives same punishment. These are specific rules, not general ones. The problem is with the generalized interpretations because what is rude to you might not be rude to another. So, we must stick to the specifics. Someone calls anyone a troll or any other name, they should get banned. It clearly states such in the terms of agreement prohibiting namecalling, profanity, obscene language, etc.

Seriously? What word will you be allowed to use when it appears someone is intentionally posting merely to get a reaction? :roll:

I agree people should take a deep breath, reread their posts and ask the question if they would speak that way if they were face to face before hitting submit. But banning someone for suggesting another person is trollling might be going abit far?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Liggero

by Liggero

I completely agree...
Happy Trails !!!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Dalai wrote:Seriously? What word will you be allowed to use when it appears someone is intentionally posting merely to get a reaction? :roll:

If some one is intentionally posting to receive an aggressive reaction just try yo ignore the bad behavior and let the moderators know by clicking the exclamation button bottom right of that post. (please see the link to the small tutorial I made earlier on page 1)
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

jsinclair

by jsinclair

bones wrote:Namecalling of any sort receives disciplinary action. Obscenity, profanity, also should receives same punishment. These are specific rules, not general ones. The problem is with the generalized interpretations because what is rude to you might not be rude to another. So, we must stick to the specifics. Someone calls anyone a troll or any other name, they should get banned. It clearly states such in the terms of agreement prohibiting namecalling, profanity, obscene language, etc.

Really?

Personal message from bones about 3 days ago:

bones wrote:Stupid Aussie

Privateer

by Privateer

bones wrote: Namecalling of any sort receives disciplinary action. Obscenity, profanity, also should receives same punishment. These are specific rules, not general ones. The problem is with the generalized interpretations because what is rude to you might not be rude to another. So, we must stick to the specifics. Someone calls anyone a troll or any other name, they should get banned. It clearly states such in the terms of agreement prohibiting namecalling, profanity, obscene language, etc.

bones wrote: Bull. I know your game. Your posts factual? Yeah, factual in a way that supports the stuff you sell.

Tinea Pedis wrote:bones - enough please. First and last warning. This has already caused one thread to get locked

Need I go on?

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Lol I like this post more than some of the bike posts.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone. :D

I don't think anyone here can do this.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Tinea Pedis wrote:Guys, please :doh:

LOL I like how a "Let's not be rude" topic turns into name calling. :mrgreen:

bones

by bones

It is a hard job that the moderators do. I know a moderator personally and have spoke to him on a few occasions. They are unpaid, and most have day jobs. To expect them to take action on a subjective opinion because of one or more users opining on another being rude or being quote-unquote a "troll" is not fair to the moderator.

The terms of service is very objective in nature. Meaning, it takes out alot of subjective opinions. It provides the basis for which all users agree to and the moderators enforce. Subjective opinions like being mean, being rude, even being "trollish" are left out of the terms. However, specific objective criteria are directly spelled out. Things like namecalling, profanity, personal insults, those things are quantifiable actions and not opinions. And they are prohibited by the terms of service. The issue is the people who feel that they are somehow justified in violating these terms because they thought someone was "trolling" for a reaction when it is really unnecessary for them to violate the terms of service in their display of vigilance. Certainly, calmer attitudes must prevail.

limba

by limba

I think the mods do an excellent job. I hardly ever see any drama on the forum or dummies quoting pictures over and over. That happens all the time everywhere else.

billspreston

by billspreston

bones i hate to break it to you bud, but you are exactly the kind of user the OP is complaining about. I'll leave it at that.

KWalker

by KWalker

Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

bones

by bones

billspreston wrote:bones i hate to break it to you bud, but you are exactly the kind of user the OP is complaining about. I'll leave it at that.

billpreston, you and I both need to do better. We all do. When you start throwing rocks, people throw them back. And what needs to occur is calmer attitudes. Subjective insinuations got us to this point so we have to take a step back and look at how the board can improve. It is still weight weenies. And I think if people get back to the basics with the terms that they initially agreed upon this place can be better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gumgardner

by gumgardner

You can always block people that annoy you as well.