Just got a Dremel!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bcheung

by bcheung

...ok, now what can/should I do with it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ari

by Ari

Might be a good topic in the cycle chat forum...
Seven Axiom Ti, Reynolds UL Fork, Campagnolo Super Record 11

In Progress: Salsa Podio, Alpha Q GS10 Fork, Campagnolo Chorus 11

principiamacb

by principiamacb

If you had a mountain bike with v brake studs you could chop them off.

I think they look pretty smart even if i do say so myself.

Sorry about the photos. Ive lost my camera charger. Had to take them on my phone

stiffee69er

by stiffee69er

Amateur dentistry? :mrgreen:

availpunk9

by availpunk9

File off all the annoying lawyer tabs. Not sure what that does to fork warranty, but I do it anyway.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Basically anything now. Welcome to the realm of tuning your parts.
You can: drill small holes with it (with precision), cut things down, grind things down, etc:. All on a very small scale... and again, with precision.

So, to close off this thread: search weight weenies for whatever part you like (ex: RD)... see what others have done to tune with their Dremel (or equivalent rotary tool). Follow suit.

Most importantly: be patient and practice. If you're running an RPM too high, you'll be less able to control what you are doing.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Take the part off the bike first.

Clamp it down in a vice, or a clamp preferably held down by wood or a terry cloth and wood in a vice or clamp.

If you are drilling get a drill press to do precision work.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Starter

by Starter

Just as a chaser I'll add that you shouldn't be punching holes in or shaving down any load-bearing carbon part to lighten it...

I'm sure you know that, but you never know who reads these things, some idiot finds this thread archived in two years, and decides to drillium his fork blades... :lol:
Oof.

sakic

by sakic

principiamacb wrote:If you had a mountain bike with v brake studs you could chop them off.

first thing I thought off. grinding off the cable hanger on the old yellow judy sl :thumbup:

I love the dremel, got the first one in the late 80's, taking it to grinding down plastic on ski boots and cutting the tips down lower on dh skiis. Still have one hanging in the garage.

I have a 61cm head, so with my helemets I usually remove the foam and velcro and grind some "Spots", works very well for aero helmets with visors. gets them to sit right when in the pursuit position. Here in Aust we have silly helmet laws so you cant grind away everything, but on the track you can wear almost what you want in non mass-start events.

bcheung

by bcheung

Any tips for grinding down carbon lawyer lips? I really have no idea which wheel I should use, which RPM, etc.

ritcheykestrel
Shop Owner

by ritcheykestrel

Use a cutting disc and use the flat portion of it to grind down the lawyer tabs. When your down, use clear nail polish with acrylic to cover the portion you chopped off. You can get some nail polish from Sally Hansen from your local drug store and it works great.
Ritchey BreakAway | Ritchey Swiss Cross | Kestrel 500EMS | Kestrel 200EMS | Kestrel CSX | Moots YBB Air | GT Edge TI | Colnago Track | Cervelo P2 | Time Equipe | Time Equipe Tri | Mondonico Anniversario | Many MANY others!!

bhodgkiss

by bhodgkiss

your bike will be lighter in no time ;)

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Use a stone and dimple everthing in sight. :lol:

holycao86

by holycao86

If you make a single speed conversion at some point, gotta get rid of all the extraneous cable guides/stops.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

If you use a SRAM Red OG-1090 cassette, then you can grind down the splines on the middle of your cassette body to save weight. Easton offers a SRAM Red cassette body as a factory option.
http://www.bicycling.com/eurobike08_2/slide8.html
WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING AT:
Easton R4SL hub upgrades

WHY:
Easton upgraded the R4 hub found on its top-end wheels with a series of modifications. The R4SL rear hub's axle saves nine grams and has ceramic bearings. Easton offers three "standard" bodies: Campy, Shimano 10 and SRAM. The SL bodies rid of all the "unnecessary" splines. The SRAM SL cassette body, for instance is only compatible with Red cassettes. In the photo, the cassette bodies, from left, are: Campy standard, Campy SL, Shimano 10 standard, Shimano 10 SL. SRAM standard, SRAM SL.

http://www.sram.com/node/64/brand/sram-road/src/cat