Pedal-system Enquiry: Alternative Disengagements?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Hello -

Are there any clipless pedal systems out there that require a particularly unique method of disengagement?
In other words, with most pedal systems & interfaces, to disengage the cleat from the pedal one would rotate their ankle outwards to a certain extent parallel to the pedal's plane and then once past a threshold the pedal releases the cleat. Are there any pedal systems that require something different from that? Any pedal systems that require rotation of the foot in a different direction entirely, or rotation along a different axis?

Which ones? (Link/source if available)

Doing research. :mrgreen:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

ave

by ave

Obviously the Aerolites. Tilt the foot.

by Weenie

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Aerolites = tilt/rotate the foot on the x or y axis as opposed to rotation on the z axis where the z axis is parallel with the leg...

Thanks, I didn't know (I don't own aerolites and have never used them).

Any others?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Estelja

by Estelja

The early Shimano MTB pedals when using the SH-51 silver spd cleats would intentionally release straight upward when pulled hard enough. We called them the Noobie Cleats in the shop. I don't know if those will still work that way in the newer Shimano pedals.

taina

by taina

I've released straight up unintentionally from Shimano SPD, Mavic Race, and Speedplay Zero, in each case when coming to a sudden complete stop. No harm done at any time, except to reinforce my klutz self-image.
Saura mon coeur que mon cul poise.

adapted from Rabelais

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I think it's time for a new pedal system. The M2racer seemed like an ideal pedal...unfortunately it's nearly impossible to find a new set. The aerolite, while nice, has its flaws. We need a new pedal system that can rival the aerolite and M2racer in terms of weight. I'd love to see a parts of passion, mcfk, or even a AX version of a pedal. It's due time. ;)

Liggero

by Liggero

VP should license and release again m2racer type pedals, just like they did with the bebop system.
Happy Trails !!!

mjduct

by mjduct

I think that some research should be done as to peoples natural reaction when freaking out...

whatever motion they do should be the release mechanism of the pedal.

having crashed a few times while clipped into a pedal... I can honestly say I have no freaking clue what was going on around me besides OH!@#$!#@!@

by Weenie

thprice

by thprice

Keywin have been around a while.
They are about to release a lighter carbon/Ti model.
Never tried them.