Anyone else been ripped off by a fellow WW?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mr_tim

by mr_tim

What I would love to see would be each 'sale' thread to be open to the seller & buyer to leave comments / responses.

That would allow the buyer to confirm receipt & that goods tied with the description & for the seller to confirm no issues his side.

The thread would then be closed & left as a record for other buyers/sellers down the road.

I've had mixed experiences with buying items on ww. A couple of items I've received had problems that the seller(s) would have known about but seemingly didn't get disclosed to keep the asking price high. In both instances the seller had a 100+ posts & then has since gone silent so it appears as though they knew what they were up to.

Definitely ask for a lot of pics on higher value items b/c its the best way to be certain about what your getting before handing over the £/$.

Also always go for insured postage to avoid any worries once the item has gone (speaking as a seller) just in case it never turns up.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

mr_tim wrote:What I would love to see would be each 'sale' thread to be open to the seller & buyer to leave comments.

That's a great idea.

I have bought 1 or 2 things from JMT years ago with great success and still in use today!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

artray

by artray

You can check and see how long some ww have been on this sight .I have bought and sold stuff on this sight with no issues but have done my due diligence. I think you can get an idea of people from there input on this sight , There is obviously people that have different views and ideas to me but I would buy something from them no issue. My rule is , if your not sure then dont hand over your dosh.
Last edited by artray on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GripShifter

by GripShifter

just happened to me recently when I paid someone here through PayPal for a flat bar and never received a tracking number and communication was terrible. Needless to say I never received the bar and the seller never responded to the PayPal resolution process. I have bought and sold on ww with never an issue before. I would highly suggest being aware of PayPal's dispute and claim process as there are steps and timelines that need to be followed in order to get a refund. I did just that and received a full refund quickly. I will be more cautious next time and certainly will use PayPal again.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Have only purchased items on WW, and have always been fully satisfied. Great communications, and all delivered as expected, in the condition described/photographed, and on time.

Always bought from very well established members though.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I wonder how many of these uninsured items (with no tracking number) which are lost in transit were ever actually sent at all, or the item being sold even existed?

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Of the hundreds of items I've bought and sold on WW I've only had one person ever try to get me to take something back. I (still) think they broke/damaged the item either installing it or using it but I'll never know, because I told them to send it back to me and I never did hear from that person again (nor did they send it back to me).
Speedplay is the devil!

geraintnorman

by geraintnorman

HammerTime2 wrote:I wonder how many of these uninsured items (with no tracking number) which are lost in transit were ever actually sent at all, or the item being sold even existed?

Yes that is the impression I get too. Why waste other peoples' time?

carbon2329

by carbon2329

Everytime I put something on craigslist.com I get a dozen people contacting me say "they are interested in my item for sale....then they start asking me for my address and phone#..................for "thier pickup service, to pick up the item"......etc......
you know, then they want you to deposite $$ into their account so they they can then deposite thier payment into your acct. etc....etc....

I recently had someone interested in an item I was selling here on WW and before he/she offered his own address or ask for my Paypal address (so he could pay) he started asking "for my address and phone# for his pick-up service"......... (of which they don't really have here in the U.S., at least that I am aware of)

Seemed like a scam, and when I asked (politly, but directly) he/she said they were not interested, anymore, because it seemed like I didn't trust him.... :noidea:

The buyer only had about 20 posts on WW. Seemed like another craigslist.com scam. (I could be wrong, but if I was, he/she could have willing to continue the pushase, but they "jumped-ship" pretty quickley.

Just my recent experince.
The process should be pretty simple, if it's not, I don't proceed.

bones

by bones

Yeah, unfortunately there are a bunch of real con artists in here. Never ever go by a person's post count. I got burned once thinking someone was trustable after PMing him for a while. Probably eBay is your better bet. At least there, their is real verifiable feedback from legitimate people.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Anyone else have bad experiances with eme999 on this forum..??

That's what I'm talking about...
http://boardreader.com/thread/Wer_kennt ... 4.html?o=0

...unfortunately not in English, but as I see it's not the first time he's cheating..or how could we call that..does anyone know if he has some problems?? Bad health, just acting stupid,..?? Please let me know

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Got this from the WW member in question

hi,

I simply screwed up, i double sold them, someone bought them through paypal and I transfered the cash to my bank, then someone turned up at the house from a sale on another forum and my partner sold them to them. when i tried to return the funds it wouldnt work as my bank wasnt authorised on paypal and am having trouble sorting it with them..I felt bad for the guy and dont like messing people about like that.

I have sold loads of stuff through these forums with no troubles and I wont make that mistake again and appologies to all involved and time wasted on my screw up.

appologies.

whilst what has happened is not in the spirit of WW's, at least he was good enough to give an honest recount of what happened from his end.

rico

by rico

It happens. One of the main UK hi fi forums that I frequent recently introduced a new criterion for being allowed into the Classified section - you have to have posted at least 50 times elsewhere, and have had interesting things to say... Roobay probably knows what I mean.

GripShifter

by GripShifter

the ww Berk is asking about is the one i mentioned earlier in this thread that i won my PayPal dispute against for a bar that never showed up. no worries though as i received all my money back. all my other purchases/sales on ww have been extremely positive experiences.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roobay

by Roobay

rico wrote:It happens. One of the main UK hi fi forums that I frequent recently introduced a new criterion for being allowed into the Classified section - you have to have posted at least 50 times elsewhere, and have had interesting things to say... Roobay probably knows what I mean.

Yes i know exactly what you mean :mrgreen:
there has been a number of people getting taken by posters who just sell stuff on there
and ask people to send money via paypal as a gift, so not to incur any costs.
Thing is you dont have any rights when you do this so paypal cannot help.
It would be good to limit anyone posting a forsale unless they reach a minimum post count or member timed elasped.
i like people... i just can't stand assholes