Easton EC90 - audible difference in ceramic v steel bearings

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jlidds

by jlidds

I've just taken delivery of a new set of EC90 SL clinchers.

Can anyone confirm if there's typically an audible difference between the ceramic bearings (R4SL) and the steel bearings (R4)? The ceramic has arrived with the wheels but they sound very different (at least to me) from my friend's identical wheels with steel bearings. Just wasn't sure whether or not this is attributable to something else like general wear.

http://www.eastoncycling.com/bike/wp-co ... -Chart.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be gentle! I'm new to this game ...
Tarmac S-Works SL6
Tarmac S-Works SL7
Tarmac S-Works SL8
Venge S-Works
Look 695
Look 795 Blade RS
Aurum Magma
Time Alpe d'Huez 23
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Lab71 (for sale)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

woz9683

by woz9683

Unless bearings are totally shot you can't hear them at all without some kind of magnification. Are you maybe talking about the ratcheting of the freehub? A difference in lube like oil vs. grease

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

That's the freehub doing tick..tick..tick not the bearings.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

jlidds

by jlidds

OK, thanks for the confirmation.

I suspect Easton has changed the freehub between 2010 and 2012 wheels, noting that they're the same freehub. There's a very noticeable difference in ratcheting sound. The new one is almost silent compared to the 2010, which is the same hub.
Tarmac S-Works SL6
Tarmac S-Works SL7
Tarmac S-Works SL8
Venge S-Works
Look 695
Look 795 Blade RS
Aurum Magma
Time Alpe d'Huez 23
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Lab71 (for sale)

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

new one has grease in the freehub mechanism. old one has had most or all of its grease pushed away. it would probably sound similar if your friend would service his freehub body.