Another BB standard....BBRight. Developed by Cervelo

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/new ... /4121.html

Article states narrower than bb90 but wider than bb30. Rotor, FSA and Zipp all already have cranks specifically for it as well as adapters already available for SRAM and Campag. Also said to be Shimano compatible.

Interesting that these guys have managed to keep this on the low down up until now. Clearly they would have been cooking it up for a while....

Oh and the Project California was also released, named r5ca and shipping in the next couple of weeks. However I was a lot more curious as to another bb standard being developed. Those with more knowledge in this area please, educate us.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Junior Varsity
in the industry

by Junior Varsity

its basically a longer BB30 spindle. Not too different, just a wider bearing stance.
Doing bike things.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Did bb30 have this many alternate cranks on offer when it came out?

I just found it interesting that Cervelo were able to release the new standard and immediately have 3 brands on offer for cranks. Rotor appear to be strategic partners with Cervelo and the TT, however Zipp and FSA's involvements are interesting.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Well, it seems that both Zipp and FSA are pretty 'close' to Cervelo, so they were clearly involved to help ensure that there several different options (obviously not considering Rotor).
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Every time I see then 'BBRight' I think of this

mmm....

And close no doubt, but surely Cannondale also had ties with brands like these when they were developing their new standard.

Junior Varsity
in the industry

by Junior Varsity

Cannondale first started with BB30 in 2000,2001 when most people were on square taper or octolink.

As far as "partners" FSA and ZIPP don't have to change their spindle mush at all, it's just a longer spindle with a wider bearing stance. I would bet it's basically the same Vuma crank minus the outboard cups.
Doing bike things.

mythical

by mythical

:| PressFit30 has more future...
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

So, should we start taking bets on which 'standard' is going to actually be the 'standard' in the next 4 years?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

feepish

by feepish

rotor has a bbright page.

it links to a couple of pdfs: the powerpoint from cervelo, and one about the 3d30 cranks.

some interesting bits:
    the cervelo doc mentions sram, don’t know if that’s accurate
    the rotor document says the 3d30 is compatible with bb30, bsa threaded, as well as bbright

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

When Cannonadale released the bb30 standard, none of the crank manufacturers knew if it would catch on. Now that it has, the crank manufacturers realize that the more different standards there are, the more money they make because people have to match the cranks to the bikes. If you get a true bb30 frame you can run any crank ever made with adapters. That is bad for the crank business. I am sticking with true bb30 on all future frames.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

How many standards are there going to be ffs? This is becoming like phone chargers, a great way for crank manufacturers to sell another bit of kit.

Doesnt "standard" kind of imply "standardised" (or at least, god forbid, standardized)?

Its becoming like Monty Python "Im the Messia".."No, Im the new BB standard"
"I saw you with elephants hosing down some dwarves on black and white TV" - Ode to Anthony H Wilson

raiderr

by raiderr

This is pretty stupid for every manufacturer to start coming out with their own BB standard. Of course everyone says that theirs is best. BBRight sounds awful.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

To make matters even worse, it looks like you will even need a new tool for the bottom bracket. On a properly built frame with bb30 and Cannondale Si cranks, there is almost no flex under my 175 lb. body so 40% less than almost nothing isn't saving much. And their 40% increase in stiffness was compared to Shimano cranks and a Shimano type frame. Bb30 and Si cranks if I remember are already like 30% stiffer than those.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

bikejunkie223

by bikejunkie223

I like the person in the article that says "this ups things a notch, having limited production handmade production bicycles" Hate to break it to you dude- it's hardly a new innovation, companies like Cyfac, Serrotta, Parlee, Crumpton and countless others have been doing it with carbon fiber for years...Small production custom one-offs are hardly unique
Current bike: Parlee Z5, Campagnolo Super Record 11, Edge Composites 45's on DT240's
Former bike: Cannondale System 6, SRAM Red/Force mix, Bontrager Aeolis 5.0's

Estelja

by Estelja

Notice how they don't say what the exact BB shell width is? I see this as the BB86 shell concept applied to the BB30 spindle diameter. I'll stick with BB30 for the extra ankle clearance alone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com