HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:51 pm 

While waiting for my under guarantee replacement for my cracked rear Elite, my bike shop very kindly fitted a rear Campy Scirocco ( 2nd hand) to my cassette to use until my new wheel arrived.

Godfrey Daniels, the hub is smooth! Totally pissing over the stodgy elite bearings. It can't climb as well obviously, being 1020g, but it is as stiff, if not more so, and feels v. durable.

So I'm left with the need and hassle to fit ceramic bearings to my elites, or hang the expense and go further up the foodchain and buy Zonda or Shamal, Shamal to make the weight difference, plus UBS ceramics.

On the Elite front, are Formula 1 any good? Better than Enduro? Thanks for any replies.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:05 pm 

I'm glad you came to that conclusion: campagnolo wheels are for the most part durable and smooth.
The thing about wheels climbing I never knew they could do that.

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:05 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:37 pm 

Jet propelled Campy i guess. Is there anything those paranoid Italian Wonderdudes can't do tons better than anyone else? Any thoughts on the ceramics for me poor little old elites?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:57 pm 

Try VBX bearings on-line see if they have your size.

http://www.vxb.com/

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:55 pm 

ticou, to answer your question, we Italian wonderdudes do everything better. :mrgreen:

Jokes aside, I have found Campagnolo wheelsets to be excellent across the entire range. To the point that I am not certain that spending the extra coin for a set of Shamals over Zondas is worthwhile...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:10 am 

Zondas can be last years Shamals as far as I'm concerned. My old shamals, protons, nucleons and sciroccos are still spinning smooth and true. Never had to open them up and service them. I'd like to note that I don't run them in the rain.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:48 am 

Zonda's it'll probably be, and back to cone n' cup, yippee! I've always believed that to buy wheels that are more exp than your frame is probably a no no.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:24 pm 

ticou - doesn't surprise me the Scirroco was smoother than the Mavics. The Mavic hubs feel like a treacle and french mustard compound has been carefully applied to keep them from spinning freely.

Scirrocos are also stiff - see Adrien's test data.

But they are lardy and the hubs are not as good as Zondas and up in the Campagnolo range.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:39 pm 

There pretty purty from where I'm standing Sawyer;, I opened up my front elite for a clean, put it back with minimal tension, spun the two wheels together, and despite the scirocco being the village bike, i.e several years old and loaned out to I don't know how many people before me, and going against the pawls, the scirocco lasted a second longer in spinning than the elite front!!

I telephoned my order this morning. What's the need for ceramics on my undeserving elites when campy steel bearings are so good? So doing the math's, at least £140, plus, say, £15 pounds for fitting saved from not getting ceramics, I'm getting the Zonda's for £145 in real terms,plus a 3 year guarantee. Or -£45 from not also buying a pair of scirroco cx's for winter.

I wonder what I'm going to use as my winter wheels. Can anyone guess?

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:39 pm