High prices for second hand parts?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

claus

by claus

Sometimes I'm looking at the "for sale" section or craigslist and wonder why people asks higher prices for their bicycle parts than you can find new (online). With the internet it should be easy to find better prices.

For example:
Look Keo Ti Blade: craigslist: current requests: $325 and $375,
online: $220.

Zonda Wheelset: used: $375 - $400,
new: $360 (I bought a set for $340 recently).

Are some people trying to make money or did they simply buy their stuff at the most expensive places?

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

have you tried selling on craigslist recently, you pretty much just start it a little high and let the low ballers offer 50% of your asking price, then the buyer think they've got a deal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

claus

by claus

I actually tried to buy a used Eurus wheelset (craigslist). The seller wanted $570 for it, even though it was more than 5 years old and I bought mine new for $550. He wasn't willing to go below $500...

And once I offered $220 for Look Keo Ti blades (craigslist again) telling the seller that they are available online for that much: no reply.

So my craigslist experience seems to be very different from yours.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Where can I buy the Ti blades for $220? I am actually looking for a pair.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Cmon do a search $233.95 free shipping at planetcyclery on ebay
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Private sellers tend to source their pricing off of MSRP (and competitive with in-store pricing) however many eBay sellers are selling their items *new stock supposedly* at a pricing just a little bit above distributor pricing (QBP, SBS, etc:.)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

My experience (selling), has been that I sell relatively new equipment (like 1-2 years old) that is in VERY VERY good condition. And 99% of the offers are offering 25%-40% of its purchased cost (online cost, most of the time).

My experince has been that people are looking for a VERY VERY good deal (I almost said, "something for nothing"....oh,...I guess I said it :D )

I have always been realistic on my purchase from private sellers. Realizing that if the item is in good (like new, almost) and relatively new condition, and I get it for 20%-35% off online cost=seems like a fair deal.
(i.e.$3000 Wheelset new==$$2000-$2100 used (very good condition and 1-2years old)
That seems fair...but many want it for $1200 (in my experince :noidea: :| )==about 58% off online NEW :(

That means I should get a used set of Lightweights Standard III (new=$4500) for $1890 (1-2 years old in like-new condition) :shock: .
No one is going to do that, nor would I expect them to.

But this will always be the case (the seller wants top-dollar and the buyer want an incredable deal)

I guess it seems like I offer a fair price and all I get is "low-ballers".
But, what are you gonna do?
Last edited by carbon2329 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

carbon2329 wrote:And 99% of the offers are offering 25%-40% of its purchased cost
and I get it for 20%-35% of online cost=seems like a fair deal.
(i.e.$3000 Wheelset new==$$2000-$2100 used
In the interest of confusion reduction, I believe you meant "off", rather than "of", in these 2 instances.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I have switched to selling on Ebay, craigslist is too stressful for me.

Most cyclists are nice but where did these people come from.
"will you take $500 I pick up now" hmm NO!
Lots of flakers too, and you have to drive to meet them and gas cost money too.

I still have my old frame with ISP and can't be sure to sell it Ebay or craigslist.

roca rule

by roca rule

I do not understand it either, these are used parts, with no manufacturer support, and with questionable condition. I mean why would somebody sell if it is in good condition? When I sell on Ebay I base my price around @50% retail or what I paid for it and add or subtract according to condition, or how rare is the part. The beauty if buying some used parts is that you can buy them and tried them. If the part you bought is not to your liking, just sell at a minimal loss because it was already a devalued part.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

claus wrote:...

And once I offered $220 for Look Keo Ti blades (craigslist again) telling the seller that they are available online for that much: no reply.

It puzzles me that you would even contact someone for used pedals when you could buy new ones for your offered price. I hope you bought the new ones.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

carbon2329

by carbon2329

HammerTime2 wrote:
carbon2329 wrote:And 99% of the offers are offering 25%-40% of its purchased cost
and I get it for 20%-35% of online cost=seems like a fair deal.
(i.e.$3000 Wheelset new==$$2000-$2100 used
In the interest of confusion reduction, I believe you meant "off", rather than "of", in these 2 instances.

Sorry for the poor typing:
-1st "of" is correct" (if the item was $100, I get offers of $25-$40)
-2nd "of" corrected to "off".
Tough crowd :D

So, what would seem like an appropriate & fair price for an item that is "Used & in good condition", that is 1-2 years old?
-60% off online retail
-50% off online retail
-40%....
-30%....
-20%....
(of cousre, it depends on if you are teh buyer of seller :) )

But if you are impartial what would be everyones opinion?

My opinion would be 30% ("give-or-take")

(i.e.$2000 frame-"new"===$1400 "used in good condition") (1-2year old....how old will play a part in price of course)
Last edited by carbon2329 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

phourgenres

by phourgenres

Yeah, it's like that on here and slowtwitch forums too. Some guy who is trying to unload 5 giro ionos for 100/each, when you can get them for 90 on competitvecyclist. I feel like calling him out. If he has five helmets, then he might have bought them there to turn a profit.

Oh yeah, I couldn't find the look ti blades for 220 online with a search. If you have a link, let me know. thanks.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-LOOK-KEO-B ... 460238e0fd

Hope this helps.

Not $220, but close.

(I'm not affiliated, just did a search)

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

carbon2329 wrote:So, what would seem like an appropriate & fair price for an item that is "Used & in good condition", that is 1-2 years old?
-60% off online retail
-50% off online retail
-40%....
-30%....
-20%....
(of cousre, it depends on if you are teh buyer of seller :) )

But if you are impartial what would be everyones opinion?
So, is there still warranty coverage and is that coverage valid for other than the original owner? That varies by the item and its age.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com