HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 128 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:56 am 

lock this down for f__k sake this is so pointless. wear a helmet or dont it's your dissison dont expect any real compensation when you get hit thow its up to a rider to make sure he/she is as safe and visable as they can be. you can't rely on but's and if's. :smartass:

We go against the odds, against the grain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:17 pm 

The headless! They don't wear helmets. :roll:

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:17 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:57 pm 

sastre wrote:
lock this down for f__k sake this is so pointless. wear a helmet or dont it's your dissison dont expect any real compensation when you get hit thow its up to a rider to make sure he/she is as safe and visable as they can be. you can't rely on but's and if's. :smartass:

Do you work for Addison Lee?

It is up to all road users to stick to the law and not run other road users over. I take it you wear a full face motor cycle helmet when you cycle?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:01 pm 

I only wear a helmet for racing. I ride every day, race Sunday. Suppose I'm lucky to be alive?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:56 am 

Just got back from a short break in Paris. Absolutely nobody wears a helmet for commuting, getting around. I live in London and commute 10 miles a day without a helmet. I always wear one when out on my road bike doing proper riding. I do like to push it a bit when commuting but I'm not going round corners at full pelt or decending at 50kph. In many years of commuting I've never come off my bike where as I've come off quite a few times when training.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:41 pm 

A helmet won't save your life or save you from serious head injury in a catastrophic incident - you're toast with or without. It will give you some protection from minor situations - and that's a good reason to wear one. Ninety nine times out of a hundred your ride will be incident free. Put a lid on every hundredth ride.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:46 pm 

Farro4049 wrote:
A helmet won't save your life or save you from serious head injury in a catastrophic incident - you're toast with or without. It will give you some protection from minor situations - and that's a good reason to wear one. Ninety nine times out of a hundred your ride will be incident free. Put a lid on every hundredth ride.

not true...a bike shop owner over here got run over by a car. The tire went over her helmet covered head. She experienced some brain trauma, but has since made a near full recovery. She is planning a return to racing soon.

Helmet saved her life. PERIOD. But do as you wish.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=125962

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:32 pm 

Look. Everybody should wear a helmet. It saves lives.

However, NOBODY should tell another person that they must wear a helmet. I am definitely Pro-Choice when it comes to helmets even though I wear one myself and encourage others to do the same.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:21 pm 

Rodrego Hernandez wrote:
sastre wrote:

It is up to all road users to stick to the law and not run other road users over. I take it you wear a full face motor cycle helmet when you cycle?

and they sould'nt use mobile's or read wile driving but they do. what i ment was you can't relie on others to be consernd about your safety as much as they are about them selves.

how did i guess there was going to be an over reaction.

We go against the odds, against the grain

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:53 pm 

sastre wrote:
Rodrego Hernandez wrote:
sastre wrote:

and they sould'nt use mobile's or read wile driving but they do. what i ment was you can't relie on others to be consernd about your safety as much as they are about them selves.

how did i guess there was going to be an over reaction.

Yeah, but that is different. Using a mobile phone and texting while driving is NOT comparable to wearing a helmet. Using your phone while driving puts other people at risk. Not using a helmet only puts you at risk.

Therefore -
It should be against the law to use a mobile phone and drive.
It should NOT be against the law to ride without a helmet.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:34 pm 

True, but each dead and seriously injured person costs a lot of money for society. You are still hurting your society even if you are the only one getting hurt

I don't get what some people has against helmets. They are the cheapest safety measure there is for bike riding. And a very good safety measure too. I wouldn't have been able to walk away from my last few crashes with only scrubs and a stiff neck if it hadn't been for my helmets. If you wear your helmet you will probably save the medics work that they could otherwise use on people who really needs help.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:21 pm 

hna wrote:
True, but each dead and seriously injured person costs a lot of money for society. You are still hurting your society even if you are the only one getting hurt

You're wrong. If societal costs are your concern, you should make a law that makes it illegal to wear a helmet. Why? Because not wearing a helmet makes you far more likely to die in an auto-cyclist accident than wearing a helmet. So a dead rider doesn't go to the hospital and get treated in the ICU for long periods of time eating up taxpayer money.

I don't know why you can't just treat everybody with decency and respect those that wish to have a choice in regards to wearing a helmet.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:28 pm 

The pro-helmet lemmings are hilarious.

I trust that each of you advocating helmet wearing are wearing a motorcycle helmet? It would be a shame if you were wearing something not really up to the job of preventing serious injury at speed.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:21 pm 

bones wrote:
hna wrote:

You're wrong. If societal costs are your concern, you should make a law that makes it illegal to wear a helmet. Why? Because not wearing a helmet makes you far more likely to die in an auto-cyclist accident than wearing a helmet. So a dead rider doesn't go to the hospital and get treated in the ICU for long periods of time eating up taxpayer money.

I don't know why you can't just treat everybody with decency and respect those that wish to have a choice in regards to wearing a helmet.

The costs of a dead person is far greater than an injured one ;)
At least if the injured person isn't chronically damaged. Which is more likely without a helmet as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:25 pm 

hna wrote:
bones wrote:
hna wrote:

The costs of a dead person is far greater than an injured one ;)
At least if the injured person isn't chronically damaged. Which is more likely without a helmet as well.

No it isn't. The cost of staying in the hospital for over a month is greater than the cost of a funeral, which everybody is gonna have at some point.

You want to wear your helmet. More power to you. I also always wear my helmet. The difference between you and I is that I respect other people's CHOICE to do so. You do not.

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:25 pm 

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 128 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next