Who does not wear a helmet ?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

apLe

by apLe

I never leave for a ride without helmet. Never.
18' R5 coming soon...

taina

by taina

Have your cake and eat it too. Wear a helmet for crash protection. To keep your head visible for crash prevention, pull locks of your hair through the helmet vents. Or better yet, sacrifice a little aero and grease your hair so you have rigid spikes radiating from your helmet. Just kidding.
Saura mon coeur que mon cul poise.

adapted from Rabelais

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

i never wear one

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Your entire livelihood, all of the money and time that has been invested into your life, all of your experiences, thoughts, and capabilities are contained in one single part of your body: your brain. Your brain happens to be contained in a structure which is susceptible to damage, especially within the circumstances that we create by doing what we do which is beyond the speed at which evolution has developed our bodies.

Are you saying that, despite all of that, despite the hundreds of thousands of monetary units that your parents have invested in your upbringing, despite all of the care and time given to your life by the people that care about you, despite the millions of years that every single one of your ancestors have survived and worked towards giving you life so that you may continue to enjoy and experience all this life has to offer, you are unwilling to wear a helmet because it:
a) cramps your style
b) ruins your hair
c) makes your head hot

?

Really??

Wow.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

KB

by KB

hallelujah brother ... repent sinner ... the end is nigh

owl

by owl

I never really wore a helmet often until I got run over by a car. I always wear one now.
Owl

motorthings

by motorthings

that's it, i am getting a long platinum blonde wig and gluing it over my helmet so I can have the best of both worlds.

artray

by artray

btompkins0112 wrote:
artray wrote:
btompkins0112 wrote:Helmets are meant to protect the most important/essential part of your anatomy........the fact you don't feel compelled to wear one serves to suggest that your brain isn't really doing much for you.........ride-on! :smartass: :noidea:

If you took the time to read my thread , I mentioned I was cycle courier in london for a couple of years, I always felt safer knowing that I was more visible with my big mop of hair weaving through the traffic rather than sinking into the background. Riding in a urban landscape, being seen is vital and I had less crashes/accidents than my helmet wearing co workers. The horrific Deaths that have occured in London have been due to Lorrys crushing cyclists and no helmet is going to help in that situation.
It is my choice and I think a safer option in my case to ride without a helmet in the city. Riding up the Mt vontoux or Alp de huez in the summer, it gets very very hot and I make my choice to climb without a helmet as it's way more comfortable , so that is the choice ,right or wrong that I make . My brain works very well thanks , unlike your unoriginal cheap moronic jibe
. :beerchug:

Notice the :smartass: face......bit of hot-head are we? (Sarcastic Pun intended).

You put your opinion out there and asked for our opinions.....be careful what you wish for. Did you only expect responses that supported your "moronic" decision to ride sans lid?? If you have always felt safer/cooler without a helmet and aren't going to wear one regardless of the comments received, then why did you waste our time by asking??

In the end it is your decision what to do in your life........ :beerchug:[
You can have your opinion , But don't call me an idiot because you do not agree with me . Make your point without being an ar%ehole . :wink:

quattrings

by quattrings

I don't always wear one. I know I should though :oops:

Like Sjoerd I also go by some rules.
You'll never catch me riding mtb without one. I do go on easy solo rides, commute trips (rural area) and hot training days without.

I do notice a higher sense of "awareness" when I'm not wearing one. I'm always on the lookout for potential dangers.

Keep a lid on it! :thumbup:

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

artray wrote:You can have your opinion , But don't call me an idiot because you do not agree with me . Make your point without being an ar%ehole . :wink:

Fair enough.....I apologize if my rather dry sense of humor offended. btw, I never called you an idiot, I simply pointed out that the decision you are making might lead people to think such.......many an intelligent person has been caught making a poor decision.

Back on topic......I am interested in the lusterous mane in question! It must be something if it garners such attention!!

:beerchug:

artray

by artray

prendrefeu wrote:Your entire livelihood, all of the money and time that has been invested into your life, all of your experiences, thoughts, and capabilities are contained in one single part of your body: your brain. Your brain happens to be contained in a structure which is susceptible to damage, especially within the circumstances that we create by doing what we do which is beyond the speed at which evolution has developed our bodies.

Are you saying that, despite all of that, despite the hundreds of thousands of monetary units that your parents have invested in your upbringing, despite all of the care and time given to your life by the people that care about you, despite the millions of years that every single one of your ancestors have survived and worked towards giving you life so that you may continue to enjoy and experience all this life has to offer, you are unwilling to wear a helmet because it:
a) cramps your style
b) ruins your hair
c) makes your head hot

?

Really??

Wow.

Read my thread again ,you Obviously did not. I made a valid point about being seen and how I feel I am more visible to other road users in london traffic. when I worked as a cycle courier I had less accidents than my work mates
who wore helmets. By the way your reply his way out of proportion . If you think that much, why on earth would you step outside , nevermind ride a bike .

artray

by artray

btompkins0112 wrote:
artray wrote:You can have your opinion , But don't call me an idiot because you do not agree with me . Make your point without being an ar%ehole . :wink:

Fair enough.....I apologize if my rather dry sense of humor offended. btw, I never called you an idiot, I simply pointed out that the decision you are making might lead people to think such.......many an intelligent person has been caught making a poor decision.

Back on topic......I am interested in the lusterous mane in question! It must be something if it garners such attention!!

Maybe we should start a new thread, "Is it safer to wear your hair long or wear a helmet while riding the mean city streets?"

Nice one :thumbup:

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

prendrefeu wrote:Your entire livelihood, all of the money and time that has been invested into your life, all of your experiences, thoughts, and capabilities are contained in one single part of your body: your brain. Your brain happens to be contained in a structure which is susceptible to damage, especially within the circumstances that we create by doing what we do which is beyond the speed at which evolution has developed our bodies.

a) cramps your style
b) ruins your hair
c) makes your head hot

?

Really??

Wow.

Free to make his own choice. Read up on all the research and you'l see that helmets aren't a great help. There is even research that car drivers give non-helmet wearing riders more room space on the road but that doesn't mean that no one should wear one.

If it makes you feel safe and happy, wear one. It's your choice. As is the choice not to.

kgt

by kgt

Rodrego Hernandez wrote:If it makes you feel safe and happy, wear one. It's your choice. As is the choice not to.

No this is not a matter of choise! It's a matter of responsibility and maturity. End of story.

chipomarc

by chipomarc

if you are going out on a training ride on low traffic roads then please do the euro-pro thing and do NOT wear a dumb looking piece of Styrofoam strapped on your head. I see way too many large FREDS out on their expensive carbon bikes nowadays when they really should be out on the golf course.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com