BBC Reporter Blasts Cyclist as Non payers of road tax

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Roobay

by Roobay

i like people... i just can't stand assholes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shinyboy

by shinyboy

Absolute bollocks.................if I had a quid for everytime I heard this stupid argument

They seem to forget that, as well as having a bike, cyclist's might also be car owners.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Quite possibly this question was set up to allow the interviewee make his point.

HarryS

by HarryS

Id be happy to pay a nominal rego fee (ie. Less than $50/ year) to end this arguement once and for all and get some real, undisputed rights to the road. As a motorist I do get annoyed being held up behind cyclists and as a cyclist I hate the feeling of impeding traffic, so registration would lessen my concern about that.

ave

by ave

>Quite possibly this question was set up to allow the interviewee make his point.

Indeed, it might be.
I guess it's a common idea shared by many non-cyclist motorists. So yes, worth bringing it up.

sungod

by sungod

the reporter is just asking the question ignorant fools ask, but he'd do better to explain the facts than play the fool with a staged question

in trhe uk, there is no such thing as "road tax", it's vehicle excise duty

ved is paid on the basis of emissions level, get a low emissions vehicle (<=100g/km), pay zero ved, just like a cycle, i.e. cycles are taxed on exactly the same basis as cars

roads are paid for out of general taxation, as i pay more tax than most of the fools do, surely they're ones that should get their slow ugly stinking cars off of my roads!

jsinclair

by jsinclair

Its related to an incident in Australia a little while ago but still worth the read:

http://davidjohnstone.net/blog/2012/01/ ... ber-plates

NS

by NS

Drivers of new efficient cars, the mini diesel off the top of my head pay zero VED they should get off the roads too. I'd love too see the fuss when they start using bridle paths and shared footpaths and cycle paths

If I'm perfectly honest though I can't remember the last time someone said that to me but I don't enter into debate with motorists when out on my bike, it's counter productive easier to just ignore any beeps or shouts
Last edited by NS on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sawyer

by sawyer

Regular cyclists in the UK are in fact more likely to be car owners, and road-tax payers, than the general adult population.

I would be very confident about wagering that in addition regular cyclists on average drive less, and use public transport less than the average adult population.

Cyclists subsidise drivers and public transport users.

BBC is often not that well informed and I consider this reporter owned! :up:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

NS wrote:Drivers of new efficient cars, the mini diesel off the top of my head pay zero VED they should get off the roads too. I'd love too see the fuss when they start using bridle paths and shared footpaths and cycle paths

If I'm perfectly honest though I can't remember the last time someone said that to me but I don't enter into debate with motorists, it's counter productive.

While taxes for road use in the United States are largely taken through State & Federal taxes (income, sales) every once in a while the same pseudo-argument comes up: that cyclists aren't paying for the roads. And, per usual, the counter-argument comes up: that since road works are expensive and are mostly to repair the damage caused to the roads by heavy vehicles, taxes should be proportionate to the total weight of the vehicle minus the occupants (otherwise people will be claiming discrimination against heavier people, which is most of the US population).

Anyway, the dust-kicking quickly dies down when the motorists arguing in the first place realize what actual costs they'll end up paying per mile compared to a cyclist.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

And I'd also wager that, on average, recreational cyclists are significantly higher tax payers. So in actual fact, we pay more 'road tax'.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

sawyer

by sawyer

MattSoutherden wrote:And I'd also wager that, on average, recreational cyclists are significantly higher tax payers. So in actual fact, we pay more 'road tax'.

Certainly in the south east I'd join you in wagering that. Very much so. Don't know what the demographic looks like elsewhere though suspect it's also a bit higher taxed than the average.

So let's put all non-cyclists on notice that we're their paymasters. :mrgreen:

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

sawyer wrote:Don't know what the demographic looks like elsewhere though suspect it's also a bit higher taxed than the average.

Based on uk income distribution, median pay is about 20k. I can't see many people being able to shell out for high-end bikes as a hobby on that kind of wage.

I'll get some "I pay *your* road tax, mother^%&*.." jerseys ordered. ;)
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

sawyer

by sawyer

HarryS wrote:Id be happy to pay a nominal rego fee (ie. Less than $50/ year) to end this arguement once and for all and get some real, undisputed rights to the road. As a motorist I do get annoyed being held up behind cyclists and as a cyclist I hate the feeling of impeding traffic, so registration would lessen my concern about that.

I'm happy to sign-up to this "pay for what I get" principle ... and given I paid north of £40,000 tax last month for example, I'm due back rather a lot from my motoring compatriots ... .

campbellrae

by campbellrae

^^^ Could be tempted by one of those jerseys 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com