cool gadget (cycle computer / smart phone)

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

OrPe

by OrPe

Just ran into http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android.

Wow ! super cool solution for smart phone cycling apps.

Oren

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Interesting. Although one of the things I most enjoy about the cycling app I have installed on my iPhone is that there is no clutter on my bars. Also, I enjoy not seeing my average and current speeds all the time, so I don't end up "racing" myself.

:wink:
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

crohnsy

by crohnsy

Sadly no ANT+ or Bluetooth 4.0 :(

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Powerful Pete wrote:Also, I enjoy not seeing my average and current speeds all the time, so I don't end up "racing" myself.

:wink:

Yes, better not get disappointed during the ride. :D
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Arky

by Arky

The motoactiv is an ant+ android device that can serve as a watch and/or as a dedicated bike computer. It automatically uploads via your android phone or wifi. This is already done, with many steps ahead.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

@stella, absolutely (no more pride here!)... and I find it ruins my ride as I end killing myself to "raise" average speed for no good reason... :mrgreen:
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Chirobike

by Chirobike

Minoura looked at the e-paper before. I think there were some prototypes already made for cyclocomputers. Not sure why they didn't make it to market.

As far as apps, nothing for Android/Google yet. Something promising I think is Casio's new G-shock phone w/CDMA service. I suppose they could make it for any carrier. It's very, very durable and 'if' they would install the Bluetooth 4 receiver (or/and ANT+) it would be perfect as a combo cycling head unit cellphone. Powermeters have to start using bluetooth and/or Ant+.

The G-shock phone is already engineered to be waterproof, vibration proof, extra thick screen glass...yadda yadda. Just need a mount, app. and compatible sensors....no extra dongles or waterproof cases for delicate iphones.

Currently, and I have both, ibike & Wahoo have the best iphone headunit cases for cycling. They work fine (although not with my powermeter) with most Ant+ sensors. The cases are bulky and require extra mounts. That's fine but not going to be a great solution by any stretch. I ended up having to go back to Garmin 800. :(