Aero postion on the road, your take?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Rush

by Rush

What has this rider done with the thumb switches on his Campy shifters?

BTW - I'm thinking about some clip-on bars for my road bike again, for long solo rides on the flats. I used to ride with Scott's back in the mid 90's, and I've just come across the Cinelli Spinaci. However I'm fairly sure these won't fit any modern handlebars which have a larger clamp thickness (31.8 mm) unless they taper rapidly to the 26.8 diamter that the Spinaci use.

I suppose the modern equivalents are the Deda Carbon blast:

smck

by smck

They're the new style thumb shifters for the new Record EPS electronic gruppo and I hope they switch over to the standard Record because as they are now its still a bit awkward to shift from the drops.

As for the aero position itself, I am a big believer in it. Just like getting out of the saddle when climbing, I find that getting down in that position allows me to use a slightly different set of muscles. Also I find I can push a bigger gear with the same effort. I'm a skinny climber but when I'm needed on the front to push the pace I get down in that position, and when the speed goes over 50kph it helps me grind out a bit more speed at 80 rpm rather than trying to spin my legs at 100 rpm, if you get what what I'm saying.
"Je pédale, donc je suis" - René Descartes (I think :D)

2011 Canyon Aeroad CF
2012 Canyon Ultimate Al

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

These are the closest thing that I have seen that look good and low.

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

have you seen/tried the ControlTech Aero Cockpit?
They have a full carbon version.
AFAIK it may the lightest option for that particular style.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

BmanX

by BmanX

Yes I have seen it. I am think I should send this picture to Berk and see what he can come up with.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Dozer

by Dozer

BmanX wrote:What I would like to see is a hybrid of these bars. Top section of the aero basebar and drops of their drop bar. I think this would make a killer aero drop bar. What I like is that you could use a "COMPUTER MOUNT" to fill in the holes and actually mount your power meter on the end but maybe have it stick out just a bit more than normal so you could ride on the top of the bars and have something to hold on too. I actually posted this in another forum and someone from felt did reply.

What I asked for was a computer mount to fill in the holes for the aero extensions for road riding, shortie aerobars for ITU racing and some slightly longer extensions for grand fondo riders. The ITU and longer distance riders could add armrests if wanted but I think the tops are flat enough that you would not have too.

I was told that this was a 1%er request as only a very small portion of people would want something like this but if 3T can offer the Zefiro and it is in their line, I do not see why someone else could not improve on it and offer what I am suggesting.

A very cool bar that is aero drop bar that is technically OK to use in UCI, ITU and normal riding.

I agree. I'm picturing an integrated stem/bar set up where the stem tube keeps going forward and you have a single tube up front to grip your interlocked hands over. The area where the stem meets the bar at 90 degrees could be blended and could provide a bit of a pocket for the forearms to rest in - nothing dramatic - just a small formed pocket. Then on the ends it would look like standard bars, but maybe with the end of the bars down in the drops slightly less long. The whole thing shouldn't weigh much more than a conventional bar/stem yet would allow for that aero position with the safety of something to hold onto.

Hummmmm, maybe need to draw that up and see if someone here would be willing to tool it up.

Finbar

by Finbar

Something like this?

Used to good effect by Dave Zabriskie.

http://www.3tcycling.com/products.aspx?p=Zefiro

KWalker

by KWalker

I was talking to someone about this last week as I'm fairly good at TT efforts, but don't have the cash or the need for a full blown TT rig right now. Also, changing my setup completely for a race is a huge pain in the ass since I often only have 3 hours between a TT and the next event and don't want to be switching everything out.

I was directed to John Cobb's site, which is kinda sparse but if you look at many of his videos you can figure out how he manages to get riders super low on a road bike. I ended up using an old seatpost and one of his demo saddles and all I have to do is use something like the Deda clip ons shown above (I forget who makes mine) and I can get a very good position with just 10 minutes of wrenching. The good thing is that handling doesn't completely go to shit and my hip angle also opens up so I lose 0 power in that position.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

davidalone

by davidalone

have used the position before, in a TT.

I have to say it works, and is defintiely faster tahtn the drops. but it's alot more demanding on your core to get a stable pedaling platform.

dbow

by dbow

personally, i find the 3t Zefiro LTD is a great option...the aero bars are easily removed and the drops are about 290 grams without the extension and hardware. (and yes, before you mention it, I have spacers, but a decent drop)

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

Stop pansying about fellas and go all out for the aero position; adopt the hands clasped behind the back aero tuck!

As a more serious aside, I found that using some pipe insulation solved the arm slipping problem and gave me padding. It's very cheap, widely available and as it's got a split down the length, I used to carry it on my top tube and move it across to my bars when needed.
Dimples: Laminar flow separates more easily from a surface than turbulent air. Delayed separation reduces drag. A groove perpendicular to the flow triggers laminar to turbulent conversion. A spinning object uses dimples so an edge always faces the flow.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Pondering to enter a moderately hilly 40k TT in fall. There's a "road gear" classification, so let's revive this thread. As with many small events here, the road will not be closed, only the intersections will have "managed" traffic. The route is a loop with quite a few turns, and the surface isn't perfect everywhere.

For all those reasons, and the length of the event, I'm skeptical about the "ghost aerobars" for this course. Usually I like to ride in the drops a lot, so that would be one option.

Another possibility I've been thinking about is to use a downwards pointing stem to get the handlebars as low as possible, and put the hands on the top of the bars, left and right of the stem. Not just rest the wrists on the bars, but grabbing it, for better control, and lean forward all the way.

Do people think that would be beneficial over riding in the drops?

fa63

by fa63

Another possibility I've been thinking about is to use a downwards pointing stem to get the handlebars as low as possible, and put the hands on the top of the bars, left and right of the stem. Not just rest the wrists on the bars, but grabbing it, for better control, and lean forward all the way.

I think it would be beneficial, as long as you can ride in that position comfortably for 40k. Otherwise, be like Merckx and just stick to the drops.

pastronef

by pastronef

fa63 wrote:

I think it would be beneficial, as long as you can ride in that position comfortably for 40k. Otherwise, be like Merckx and just stick to the drops.

I saw Tony Martin during his breakaway when he won last week, holding his garmin (mounted not on the stem, but with a barfly front mount)
I must try it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

fa63 wrote:I think it would be beneficial, as long as you can ride in that position comfortably for 40k. Otherwise, be like Merckx and just stick to the drops.

Thanks, I'll try that, and also start with some training for the back muscles. Neck too, so I can keep my head up. (Pondering borrowing an aero helmet, which are allowed. Only TT bars and disc wheels are not permitted for the "road" classification).
Hopefully I can find a stem that's low and long enough to let me work my knees behind my elbows, so I don't have to flare them out. Ritchey has a 25°WCS stem, and a 30° Comp one, but they are only 110 and 120mm respectively. Probably not enough room for the forarms. Deda Pista isn't as low, but 140mm could do the trick.

Anyone thinking it'd be nuts to put a small patch of velcro on the inside forams, back at the elbows. So they slightly stick together and one can relax a bit better for breathing. Just a very small snippet, obviously, so it comes apart again easily.