Aero postion on the road, your take?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

If you can comfortably push well over your ftp on rollers, then IAB is a doddle (with the aforementioned caveat for blustery conditions and potholes). People who look like they're constantly fighting the bike will probably end up fighting the tarmac.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

Does anyone know that weight of these bars LTD, TEAM, Pro without the hardward for the aero attachments. I think they would be a good aero drop bar without the aero attachments and if you need them you could always add them back on but I am guessing the weight of these stripped down and used for just an aero drop bar would be close to 300g

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

KWalker

by KWalker

Zipp makes several sub 200g carbon bars that have tops like that and do not have the attachments.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

BmanX

by BmanX

I want the aero option from time to time but just not all the time. so would like to find out what the weight is if possible without all the other stuff. When it is time to go aero just add it back in.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

HillRPete

by HillRPete

BmanX: If you used a bar with airfoil tops, like they come from FSA, Zipp and others, and occasionally added a (modded?) Cinelli Spinaci, that would avoid the weight penalty in detached mode, and not look quite so overwhelming.

BmanX

by BmanX

I had the Cinelli Spinaci and was going to open them up for my 26.0 bars so that they could be closer to the stem but even on a 26.0 bar I could not open them up enough as there was not enough material to do this. I have a few other ideas I will kick around for a bit.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

tried to do it on my vukasprint top (unwrapped) it was slippery as heck.. no thanks

HillRPete

by HillRPete

PoorCyclist wrote:tried to do it on my vukasprint top (unwrapped) it was slippery as heck.. no thanks

I've been considering using Surfers' Wax for the next race.

BmanX

by BmanX

The Zipp VukaSprint is my first option for a nice aero drop bar but there is no good options for adding aerobars when needed.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

JamieL

by JamieL

wassertreter wrote:
PoorCyclist wrote:tried to do it on my vukasprint top (unwrapped) it was slippery as heck.. no thanks

I like this position a lot but on my Zipp SL it was pretty slippery when it got wet. I got some griptape from a local skate shop and cut out a couple of small rectangles and stuck them on the bar cos i didnt like the look of tape to the stem.
It was a bit hash at first but after about 6months the grain has worn down so it's pretty compfy.
haven't tried to peel the griptape off yet though to see what it is like underneath.

fordred

by fordred

karmaportrait wrote:Image

:noidea:

That's ugly.. haha

KWalker

by KWalker

JamieL wrote:
wassertreter wrote:

I like this position a lot but on my Zipp SL it was pretty slippery when it got wet. I got some griptape from a local skate shop and cut out a couple of small rectangles and stuck them on the bar cos i didnt like the look of tape to the stem.
It was a bit hash at first but after about 6months the grain has worn down so it's pretty compfy.
haven't tried to peel the griptape off yet though to see what it is like underneath.

You could easily cut a chainstay protector in half and use that, like the Lizard Skins one.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

griptape?! isnt' that like sandpaper....ouch!

BmanX

by BmanX

I love the looks of these and they would be a great drop bar but no options for aero extensions when needed. I do like the idea of using a grip tape for riding with mid arms on the flats.

BIG DADDY B FLOW

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Or you can go 'pro' style and copy what Sky were doing at the Tour of Beijing ITT w/ road bikes...
Attachments
tob_froome_action_c_tim_de_waele_600.jpg