Aero postion on the road, your take?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

@HillRPete: That setup is crazy looking, I look forward to hearing how the TT goes! It seems like that stem is a smart way to hit the lowest cda while still keeping in line with their requirements for a traditional "road" setup.

It is kind of interesting, if you simply imagine the drops cut off those bars then the position is similar to the bullhorn bar equipped "funny bikes" of the 80s TT scene.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

i just bust out laughing. But in a good way. illest man illest.

KWalker

by KWalker

God what I would pay to see you race a criterium with that setup.

Props for even finding that stem.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

kbbpll

by kbbpll

My boys go numb just looking at it.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

TheKaiser wrote:It is kind of interesting, if you simply imagine the drops cut off those bars then the position is similar to the bullhorn bar equipped "funny bikes" of the 80s TT scene.

Difference is I'm putting my hands next to the stem, and the forearm horizontally, hoping to get a tighter tuck.

nathanong87 wrote:i just bust out laughing. But in a good way. illest man illest.

Cheers man, guess when you're lacking power you have to be inventive.

KWalker wrote:Props for even finding that stem.

It's from a trial bikes store, BMX durability. Quite the boat anchor. Guess it's supposed to point upwards usually.

kbbpll wrote:My boys go numb just looking at it.

I would have that issue on a flat saddle, even with the regular setup, riding in the drops. But putting the sit bones on the Aspide's wings really relieves the perineum. This saddle just seems to fit my bottom curvature perfectly, when running the centre part horizontally.

Update: have ridden the setup in earnest now, on a regular workout of mine -- 3 laps of a 12k loop with some slight rollers, but you can ride all in the same gear if you get out of the saddle once. Seems to be a bit faster than riding in the drops. Reach is good, a few cm less drop would keep the forearms horizontal, they are pointing down a bit now, in committed riding position. Guess it's good to go for the event.

BmanX

by BmanX

OR you could have just used your standard stem and used these bars.

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

KWalker

by KWalker

Do any of the people employing these solutions in this thread race? So many people concerned about such marginal (maybe not even so) gains if not.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

LouisN

by LouisN

Actually I like some of Hillrpete's idea, and would probably do something like it for my daughters.
But only for TT events. I too can't imagine using that setup with a bunch :o !!

I their category, they have to use road bikes setups in their TT's.

I'm planning to try 17° and 30° stems (or adjustable, but it's heavy !!!) , but also using a second seatpost/ saddle combo, with a short TT saddle and 0° setback seatpost for their TT events, bringing the hips higher and further forward.

Louis :)

KWalker

by KWalker

^This is exactly why people use clip ons and just get a second post/saddle to slide in.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

LouisN

by LouisN

I know but at their cat.(U14) they're not allowed to use a clip-on yet :? ...rules....

I didn't see any U16 lower their front end yet...most of them just throw on clip-ons. Their positions are wayy too high IMO.

Louis :)

HillRPete

by HillRPete

KWalker wrote:God what I would pay to see you race a criterium with that setup.

Setup is strictly TT, for obvious reasons.

BmanX: well, as said, the idea is to grab the bars next to the stem, minimising frontal area. The bars you posted make a difference only in the hoods and drops position. Also, my setup is temporary, keeping it only for the week of the TT event, and swapping the stem is just a matter of re-doing seven bolts. The stem was just like €30, so the expenses are bearable for a one-off too.

So here's the checklist of low hanging fruit:
Position - check
Bucket helmet - check
Aero jersey - check
Overshoes - check
Aero gloves - lacking. hope it's warm enough not to need any
(re-)shave legs - day before event
Bottle+cage only on seattube (as it is a round tubed frame) - todo
Glue tubs instead of tape - todo (pondering)
Are the bib numbers adhesive? - enquiry sent
Clean bike :mrgreen:

KWalker

by KWalker

Have you done a single roll down or Chung test to prove that any of these changes are optimized. I can almost guarantee your bars are too low for TTs even in terms of reducing cda
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

HillRPete

by HillRPete

KWalker: first I want to underline that this is all about fun and tinkering for me. I'm neither going to be last nor near the podium regardless of my setup. The only test I've made was riding my 12k loop, which I have a good backlog of runs of. With the "TT" position I did three loops in a row (my regular 1x40min-ish workout), the second and third picked up by the segment (slight detour on the first one). Both of the timed loops were within 1s of each other, and over 30s faster than my previous best. I think it is safe to say that the position is an improvement over riding in the drops.

I think the other changes (overshoes, aero jersey, etc) are low risk, so I'll just use them on race day. The bucket helmet is the biggest unknown, but it is fairly obvious that my regular one is not ideal at the steep pitch angles of a TT position.

The bars are a bit lower than ideal, though, I have to agree with that. Something around 20° - 25° degrees of negative rise, and 16-17cm would seem to be ideal. It's too late now, but maybe I can enter the odd roadbike TT next year, with an even better setup.

Many thanks for all your input. Will do a workout including the helmet today.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

KWalker wrote:Have you done a single roll down or Chung test to prove that any of these changes are optimized. I can almost guarantee your bars are too low for TTs even in terms of reducing cda

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I haven't gone through the whole thread, but has anyone bothered to mention that low does not equal fast? Best position is to shield the rest of your body w/ your arms. Praying Landis was banned for a reason, it's really fast. Put some TT elbow pads on the top of your bar, put it higher and hide behind your arms.