Spoke Tansiometer Park TOOL TM-1

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kavitator

by kavitator

How with this simple tensiometer get really correct spoke tension?

Park tool said you must release it very gently...but if you little move it datas are little lower than from first readings (22 in first...21 or 20 in second if it is moved slightly)

And its mechanism at scale (white plastic "roller")...if you little lift it from downside when its mesauring spoke also drops slightly (friction of mechanism?)

On how long it must be recalibrated?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bricky21

by bricky21

Yes the park TM-1 can give a slightly inconsistent readings just like every other measuring device know to man. I don't rely on the tool to tell me when tension is exactly a certain number. After a while you get a feeling for when the spokes have enough tension in them to keep from going slack, so an absolute tension number is not all that important. Even tension between all of the spokes is the key, and that is where a simple tool like the TM-1 comes in handy. Just try and use it the same way for each spoke and you'll be fine.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Use the tool as a guide after you have tensioned the spokes. Use it in the final tension to get everything close.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

kavitator

by kavitator

Everything for perfect wheel.

i like nice round circle graph from wheel

thanks for tips

also i found this intresting theme about perfection tesntion

http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/opt ... 780-3.html

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Check out some of the youtube clips it helps to actually see it
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

kavitator

by kavitator

OK what is with conversion table?????

On internet new (wich also include 1.4 roun steel spoke - superspoke sapim) is little different.

Like for 1.5 round steel spoke:

MY original white blue conversion table has

readings 20....129kg

new on internet on park tool site:

readings 20.....148kg

Is different series of tensiometers out?

So i keep with my original conversion table?

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I have the TM-1 meter and it came with a conversion table which is the same as the one on line here http://www.parktool.com/documents/ee5fb ... a74bf0.pdf

How old is your meter? I got mine last year.

I would guess you can use the conversion chart you have with your meter since it was made for your meter.

Contact Park tool and ask them your question.

bricky21

by bricky21

The chart that Stella linked to is not the same chart I got with my TM-1. I have the white and blue chart that you have which converts 20 to 129 k (1.5 round). I have to believe that the new chart is from some sort of new method of calibrating or adjusting how much the tool can deflect :noidea: As Stella suggested you should send an email to Park and then let us know what they say or copy and paste there response back here :thumbup: .

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

What I got in the box that the meter came in was that chart you saw on-line plus a small gauge to check spoke diameter size. That's the chart I use to tension the spokes to unless the rim manufacturer specifies otherwise.

kavitator

by kavitator

i have tensiometer for about 2years.
I have blue white table. Maby different spring is used in new one.
Yesterday i emailed to parktool .

http://shrani.si/f/2Y/13n/MwHfihp/img3678.jpg

is it 2009 series?
http://shrani.si/f/2/R3/1NcBULzr/img3679.jpg

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Mine is 2010 but it's exactly like the 2009 series.

That's why I said to use the table that your meter came with it's could be a different tension spring being used.

Although 100kgf is 100kgf not which way you look at it.

woz9683

by woz9683

They've changed the chart at least once in the past couple years. I got one in 2010 with the older chart, and a buddy got one last year with the newer chart. The units are functionally identical though (slightly different blue anodized color though), just the chart has changed. The two charts give different conversions, and the two units give different readings, but the bottom line for me is as stella-azzurra said: as long as the tensions using my meter are nice and even across all spokes at the end of the build I don't really care if the actual tension is 100kgf or 120kgf.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kavitator

by kavitator

I just get the ansewer from park Tool.
-------------------------------------------
Hello
We have made a shift in the method we use to determine the charts, using "hydraulic dimensions". This allows for a better fit of the TM-1 across all spoke sizes and it did shift some charts slightly. We recommend the new charts for all TM-1's.

-----------------------------------------

So better to use new conversion table chart