Taking a big step down in bikes

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

aserota

by aserota

Hi all,

I'm seriously considering selling my S-Works SL3 and getting myself a Specialized Allez 2012. I currently cycle around 6-7,000 miles a year with just over 5,000 of those coming from my daily commute through London.

My bike is kept in the office during the day but I am regularly out in the evenings and don't feel happy about keeping it locked up outside for long periods of time. The other option is to run another bike for my commute and then ride my S-Works at the weekends, which seems a waste to me.

My current bike is running Ultegra 6700 with Fulcrum 4 wheels. The Allez would run ultegra 6600 with 6700 brakes and I will get some fulcrum 5 wheels as well. Has anyone taken this sort of 'backwards' step and if so how have you found it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

I would just build up a cheap hack, maybe a FG/SS, and use that for commuting. Either buy a cheap used bike or cobble something together. I'm sure you could get a perfectly good commuter for under £200.

elviento

by elviento

It's very difficult to take a step down. Do as the Major orders, just get a beater for commuting and keep your SL3 for more serious riding. Life is short. Ride something nice, damnit.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Many have said that the new Allez is not as big of a step down as you'd think.......I honestly don't think you would be able to tell the difference (Same geometry, same fork, etc.) with the type of riding you do. The Allez 2012 is basically an aluminum Tarmac, similar to how the CAAD10 is an aluminum Evo.

I'd go for it. I would bet you don't end up regretting it. :beerchug:

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

It'd depend on how well you can sell your bike and what sort of deal you can find for your new one.

There'd have to be a nice difference to make a downgrade worth it, but often with sell old buy new it either takes forever or doesn't really work in your favor.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

LittleSprinter

by LittleSprinter

I'm in the process of taking a "step down". I've got a Specialized Tarmac SL2 and switching either to a CAAD10 or a Gaulzetti, granted, I'd make the argument that this isn't really a step down, but for me it is just getting a bike that is more realistic for my budget, riding and racing habits now. I used to ride and train quite a lot and then entered to the real world with a full time job and limited to really only racing some crits and going out for the weekly evening group rides and am a grad student and can't justify a full carbon rig any more.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The equation is N+1 = X
Not N = X

:roll:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I bought a planet-x kaffenback to commute on. It's got guards, 28mm tyres, and sometimes a rack. It also serves winter training duties.

I don't get bothered about the beating it takes on London potholes, or riding in horrid weather and not cleaning it for weeks.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

djm

by djm

I'm currently riding my Canyon Ultimate AL and it was a definite step UP from my old Cervelo S3..

I do have the Aeroad to fall back on.

tinchy

by tinchy

Im currently building up a planet x superlight alu frame using spare parts I have lying around. Im really looking forward to going back to something that isnt flash, just a good, solid bike.

SSB

by SSB

I thought about downgrading too... I'll be working 70-100 hour weeks this summer and won't nearly have as much riding time as I did. I had an accident with a car recently and I get the chance to start over. Just a few days ago I gave some serious thought to ditching my S5 and moving to a CAAD10. I bought the S5 before I had secured such a job, and since then I couldn't help but think I bought "too much" bike, but damn did I enjoy every minute I had with it. I like the CAAD10 too, but it just wasn't as exciting as the S5 to me. So therefore, I think that could make the argument for riding something nice as I'll make the most of the less time I have on the road.
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PJCM

by PJCM

Re leaving the bike outside for long periods of time, is your concern theft or exposure to the elements?

If it is the former, the Allez you are considering is not a significant downgrade and would still be very attractive to thieves.

I have a dedicated commuter fitted with mudguards, the toughest possible tyres and an 8 speed system that gets minimal care with chains that are cheap to replace. It is ridden in all weather, can be left outside without being appealing to thieves and gets me reliably to and from work whilst still being fun to ride.

However, on weekends I really look forward to getting on my good bike. It is faster, kept in prime condition and also provides a break from a machine that I mentally associate with going to work.