NYC place to watch Paris-Roubaix?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Hi Guys,

I am living about 50kms from Roubaix, but the sunday of the race I'll be in NYC...

So what is a good (or best) place to watch the race? Any sports bars broadcasting live or other options?
Any advice on bicycle shops I have to visit in Manhattan is welcomed. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roobay

by Roobay

de zwarten wrote:Hi Guys,

I am living about 50kms from Roubaix, but the sunday of the race I'll be in NYC...

So what is a good (or best) place to watch the race? Any sports bars broadcasting live or other options?
Any advice on bicycle shops I have to visit in Manhattan is welcomed. :thumbup:

Personally id try the Rapha store, they always post on twitter that "please come down and belgian beer on tap" might be full of poseurs but the atmosphere will be good
Failing that try most of the Irish sports bars they are very accomodating and normally have multiscreen viewing
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Thanks, I'll go for the Rapha store. As a true Belgian, it won't take too much effort to impress all those posers with my drinking pace. :beerchug:

freemyheel
Shop Owner

by freemyheel

Sorry for the hijack, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what tv channel Paris-Roubaix will be on? I use cablevision/optimum at home and at my store...last year I think it was on Universal Sports, but I don't think that exists anymore.
Thanks!
K.P.A.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Bring your laptop and watch it on http://www.steephill.tv/
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

jdp211

by jdp211

should be on nbcsports (formerly VS/US) this year

Esterhas

by Esterhas

Anyone know of any places in Philadelphia to watch both Flanders & Roubaix? My hotel is quite cutting it in the television department.

Cheers

critracer26

by critracer26

http://www.bxlcafe.com/ had a viewing party last year for roubaix with drink and food specials. Not sure if they are this year. It's usually advertised on nyvelocity.com

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Thanks.
Next question: I would like to know if I could join a Sunday morning group ride (somewhere between 8-11AM) starting somewhere near the South side of Central Park. I thought to have read that Central Park is bicycle zone between 6-10 AM, but if there is a group doing around 40 miles (20 miles/hour) on another route, I would like to join them...I fear Central Park will be filled with kids and families cycling.
Last edited by de zwarten on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I hate to break the bad news to you, but I don't think the areas surrounding Central Park are exactly idyllic deserted country roads.

de zwarten

by de zwarten

I know, I know.
If there is anybody here from NYC that would like to have some bicycle parts from Urp you won't find cheap in the US, let me know and I can bring it. (nothing that has to be ordered, only stuff I can find in a big shop in Belgium like clothes, small parts, tubs etc.).

chocy

by chocy

From Central Park, for 40 mile ride you could ride up to George washington Bridge and take the river road and 9W up to Nyack.
This is the most popular route for the roadies in New York. There are group rides but most of them are member based. But, if you find people who are riding at similar pace there can be some pace lines formed spontaneously for the route check out my garmin route of what I just described.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/128264075

I am doing grandfondo NY training ride every Sunday but those are only for people who signed up.

Hope this helps!
------------------------------------------------
My Colnago EPS http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=83064&start=45

joestralia

by joestralia

You should not have any problems finding a bar to watch the race while in NY. However, I would choose a smaller place where beers maybe cheaper. I'm from New Jersey just across the river from NYC and would suggest going to Hoboken where there is no shortage of bars with huge TV's. With that said, there is also no shortage of rude Jersey A'holes . Perhaps try some great American microbrews that are available. My personal favourite is Dogfish Head's "Raison de Tre". Or try a Fat Angel.

I agree with chocy's route. Even if you go on your own, you should not have much problems finding the George Washington Bridge and crossing to NJ and riding "9W". You will see lots of cyclists; just ask for directions.

I've spotted Lance Armstrong ride Route 9W!

Visit Bunburry's cafe in Piermont, NY or The Runcible Spoon in Nyack, NY. On a nice day, the bike racks are full and all tables occupied!

If you're feeling good and want to ride further, go to Bear Mountain and ride up Perkin's Drive, which is a nice steady uphill. It's about 4.5 miles. Going downhill is even better, but watch out for wildlife, especially crossing deers or even ambivalent squirrels!

Warnings: NYC isn't so bike friendly, watch out for aggresive drivers. You can also get a ticket for running a red light! The same can be said about the towns in Bergen County, NJ, and Rockland County, NY. But don't let that discourage you. Thousands of us live and ride in this area.

Peace ~ Joe

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Thanks Joe and all others.

I first felt disappointed I would possibly miss out on the race, but now I feel like it's a chance to experience some of the bike culture in NYC.

I'll do my own little Paris-Roubaix anyway next thursday having a reconnoissance between the pro riders (from Orchies to the Carrefour de l'arbre)...
And I will do the tour ride in June again with all cobblestones. :D

critracer26

by critracer26

"I'm from New Jersey just across the river from NYC and would suggest going to Hoboken where there is no shortage of bars with huge TV'"

You don't live or stay in Manhattan and go to Hoboken for a bar. That's top 5 oddest things i have ever read on this forum.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com