Bluetooth and ANT+ readings... how much is too much?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

warp

by warp

Hi, all!

While I have used meters for a long time, it hasn't been until recently that I started noticing some inconsistencies across sensors that I would like to understand.

I can see the readings on some sensors jumping up and down in an "unnatural" manner. For example when you hold a cadence and the reading says that cadence went up and down from one second to the next... or worst, with Heart Rate. Neither cadence or heart rate change one or two units in a second when in steady conditions.

Here's a snip of a ~30sec of two Bluetooth devices (Wahoo Tickr HRM and Wahoo Cadence sensor). Note the spikes from one second to the next.

But then, there may be inconsistencies across how a sensor sends a signal over two different protocols.
Here's a plot of a Giant Power Pro reading cadence over Bluetooth and ANT+ (Bluetooth paired to a Wahoo Kickr and on the same ride ANT+ paired to a Garmin Edge 520). Note the discrepancies across both protocols.

The question is... is this normal?
How much is too much of a variation?

Thanks for any pointers.

Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com