the pros on Lightweight list

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kgt

by kgt

And you know better (than him) which wheels are better (for him)... lol

Leroni

by Leroni

funny discusion, all the time pro's have a free choice you still see a few riders still use that old fashioned wheel.
Always the same reply's that is aero as a brick, and that there are better wheels.
I do not want to be rude but have those guys/girls ever rode them?

When i have time for spare i act as a mechanic for a team, at a race this year i made a promise to a pro-rider
took my personal Meilensteins to a race, the bag came out the van and more than 1/2 the team was surprised to see that kind of wheels.
When i start working his bike, his yaw dropped, started smiling, shivered of excitement that he was aloud to ride them.

After the race he bought me a couple of whiskeys to drink on his win that day. He thought i wrenched a rocket on his bike.
When i rode home with the manager off the team his phone rang, the wheel sponsor was not happy i can tell you all
Later in the season he called me that he got signed pro-tour, they told him that it was not allowed to ride that wheels during his contract, not even the worlds.
sponsors pay 365 days a year.
So it is not strange that Viviani them used, there is still magic in those wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

de zwarten

by de zwarten

My opinion:

World's are a criterium race. It's nervous, you need good positioning. Lots of curves / accelerations compared to an A->B race.

So pros will benefit from very light wheels, stiff wheels AND reasonably aero. Aero is not the biggest concern for them. World's are a tactical race in the last 10-20 years with very few all-way-out escape moves succeeding. So you have to be patient, you have to sit in the bunch, and accelerate hard in that bunch. For the full 230-240 K. In the last lap, you have to be fresh. If you are fresh and you have strength, you can win. The few marginal gains with a more aero bike / wheels don't matter that much at that stadium.
Lightweights are still ideal for this.

Just my opinion. :D

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I was talking to a friend the other week who is the general manager of a top Pro Tour team. They are sponsored by Shimano and ride Shimano wheels. He likes their wheels though he said, between us girls, he prefers Enve or even better, Lightweight. He then told me just how many wheels they need as a team for the year. It's a big team and they have full campaigns all over the world. I forget the number of wheels needed but it was very large. He said teams expect their sponsors to give them equipment for free, and it's just too expensive for companies the size of Enve and Lightweight to play that game. He said sometimes an individual will buy the wheels themselves and cover up the logo, but it's strongly frowned up by the sponsor,

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

yet another topic of discussion when hiring a pro: your're a great rider, but can you ride on our sponsor's equipment?

lippythelion

by lippythelion

From micky's website:

Can he still be considered a pro?
http://www.ciclismo-espresso.com/2015/1 ... -como.html

Vagabond

by Vagabond

His bike is ridiculously too small for him. There is no way that's a comfortable set up.
Colnago e Campagnolo

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Vagabond wrote:His bike is ridiculously too small for him. There is no way that's a comfortable set up.

He's been a pro rider for more than 15 years, do you actually think he's not comfortable on his setup?

Have you seen him in the Cipressa and Poggio after nearly 300km? Do you think he would climb that fast with something else than leg pain?

I agree it looks silly small but he has short legs and arms and quite some belly so might not be flexible.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

lippythelion wrote:From micky's website:

Can he still be considered a pro?
http://www.ciclismo-espresso.com/2015/1 ... -como.html

Who is it?

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Luca Paolini

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

lippythelion

by lippythelion

Cut down Lampre Merida bottle :D

Edit, sorry, just seen a similar comment in the pro thread :oops:

pastronef

by pastronef

our dear Pete Kennaugh on lightweights

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFEIE64SjIM/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

pastronef wrote:our dear Pete Kennaugh on lightweights

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFEIE64SjIM/

Shouldn't that be in the 'Juniors on Lightweights' thread? ;-)