the pros on Lightweight list

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

micky

by micky

Bart Wellens

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Auk

by Auk

Good to see Bart back at it.

airsoft510

by airsoft510

Tom Boonen

jipperd

by jipperd

I know Tom always rides a bike that is rather small for his size, but this CX bike, seems redicolous small, but it might be from the camera angle.
Btw Tom on specialized shoes, that's something new, usualy he only uses Northwave, picture only or shoe swap coming up for Tom?

pieterp

by pieterp

He is already for quite some time on Specialized shoes.

When I see him at local rides his cross bike does seem to fit him well.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

:D
Attachments
museeuw_ADA.JPG
museeuw_LWs.JPG

Timo

by Timo

majklnajt, please do not ignite the LW/ADA controversy again.
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

OK, sorry, I wont! This was the last time!

Tugboat

by Tugboat

Hayden Roulston...

Nice bike... you ever take it off any sweet jumps?
2020 Canyon Speedmax CF | 2018 8bar Mitte | 2016 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX | 2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon | 2016 Cannondale F-Si Carbon | 2017 Scott Scale (singlespeed)

Epic-o

by Epic-o

Jose Hermida:
Attachments
lw.jpg

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

What exactly is this thread about now? Back in the day when it started, LWs were the lightest wheels out there. Now, they aren't. So this isn't really a WW thread anymore, is it mods? I have no problem with LW, but we could just as well start a thread about 'Pros on Edge, mavic, Di2.... whatever...'

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Its still a relevant thread since a lot of pros are using lightweights they paid for in contravaention to the team wheel sponsor.
Plus its fun to see them used for CX!
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Hey, RTW, do me a quick favor and take a look at the first page of the "road" section here on WW. Count how many threads are actually about light parts. Now, count how many threads are repetitive, or how many people need to use the search function.

Now that you've got that image, let's get back to this thread: Lightweight wheels.

Years later, they are *STILL* the ultimate in production wheels. Just like THM Carbones... still the bull's balls, still the king of the hill.

Yes, other wheels have been built since then... but those that are lighter are all customs. Lightweights are still available off-the-shelf so to say, and still lighter. If you're in Europe, they're also easily serviceable (North America and other continental issues not withstanding).

Lightweights: still very aero, still incredibly stiff, still incredibly light.

I think this thread is still relevant.

Besides, we're still waiting for the supposed "Lightweight Killer" in the form of Reynold's RZR wheels to see how they last... or even come out of the oven. Other companies have attempted to go as light, as aero, and as stiff in a production wheelset. Lightweights are still the most desired.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Lightweights are still the most desired

Are they? That's very authoritative of you.

@ Coloclimber, how does using them in contravention of team sponsorship make them any more or less relevant?

NorthWestDork

by NorthWestDork

Considering pros whom I assume have the option to use a free, high quality wheelset, it is a bit unique that so many would choose to spend a good amount of money for a non-sponsored wheelset.

Though who knows, maybe it is an elaborate sponsor scheme to make it look like these pros are actually spending out of their own pocket. With that said, I'd buy a set of lightweights in a heartbeat if I had the money.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com