HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:05 pm 

Who's going? I'm entered, but only have about 200 miles in my legs since April's knee injury. I'm probably going to die, and certainly won't make my original goal of sub-1hr, but I've always wanted to do this ride... and it cost a fortune to enter. Any weenies want to pace me to the top? hahaha

English Custom Steel Internal di2
Litespeed Ghisallo

Last edited by xnavalav8r on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:41 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:38 pm 

I'm not, but jealous of anyone who is! Closed to cyclists all but 1 day in the year + legendary climb = epic! Good luck xnavalav8r and anyone else who got entry!

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:38 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:43 pm 

I'm in. I've ridden it four times, but it's been five years since I've done it. It is truly epic.

An original goal of sub-1hr?! Let me know how that works out for you. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:30 pm 

When I registered for the race I had just come of the cyclocross season, was fit, and have always been a strong climber. My regular ride while living in Japan included a climb that makes Mt. Washington look like the start ramp at a time trial and I routinely did that in about an hour to an hour fifteen depending on weather and who I was riding with. But my knee injury and subsequent 3 months off the bike killed my fitness. At this point I just want to enjoy the ride and get to the top without embarassing myself. hahaha

Litespeed Ghisallo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:34 pm 

It will be an event you'll never forget. Just make sure you've got the appropriate gearing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:45 pm 

My low gear is 38/34... I think that should do.

Litespeed Ghisallo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:53 pm 

WOW! What a ride. And am I ever out of shape. I had a blast though and am convinced, had it not been for 12 weeks off the bike with a knee injury I could have been in the 1:10 to 1:15 mark. I'm not sure I could have come in under 1 hour as was my pre-injury goal. Those who did were all seasoned pros who have done this ride several times. As it was, with only 200 miles in my legs since April I managed to crawl to the top in 1:56. Sadly I had to dismount twice due to cramping calves, but my knee held up fine which was the best news of the day. I was soundly beaten by several people older than my parents, an 11 year old, and a guy on a unicycle. How humiliating. But it was a beautiful ride and I enjoyed myself despite the suffering. Maybe because it was an absolutely beautiful day...

Lessons learned: (some learned the hard way)
Get there early to send your driver up the mountain with post-ride gear/food/beverages
Get a really good warmup in
Don't stand around in staging... it could be 40 minutes until you start. Warmup until the gun goes off for your group.
Don't go out too hard, the first 2 miles are the worst until the final 300 feet.
Eat more than you think you need to for breakfast
Bring 2 full bottles... one won't get you to the top unless you're truly an elite rider
Don't overdress
Don't underdress
Your lowest gear won't be low enough (people were running crazy single ring setups with tiny chainrings <20t)
Make sure you have warm clothes waiting for you at the top
Make sure you have food waiting at the top
Make sure you have drinks waiting at the top
There is no cell phone reception at the top, so don't plan to rendezvouz with your mates via telephone
You can't get off the mountain until the last rider makes it to the top... 4+ hours this time
Bring activities for your kids while they wait for you... in car DVD players are a beautiful thing
Stop occasionally on the way down so you don't kill your car's brakes
Check the Mt Washington website to make sure they will let your car go up the mountain
Do the practice rides if you can

My 38/34 wasn't low enough for my lack of fitness. I think, when fit, it would have been perfect. I did nearly the entire climb seated, only getting out of the saddle on the steepest pitches. I only cramped when I got out of the saddle. Bummer! I didn't eat a big enough breakfast. It's virtually impossible to feed on the road without stopping. I think a different sports drink with higher carbs would have been better than my planned water and gels. I couldn't get the gels down while riding and I ran out of water. I didn't warm up enough. I went out too hard... stayed with the leaders for the first mile or so then realized they were out of my league. By then the damage had been done. I didn't know what to expect as I hadn't done any of the practice rides. I simply couldn't get there but if you have the opportunity, do so.

I'll post some pics when I get them. My wife went back to VA with the camera. I'm sure others will pop up. I'm almost ashamed to post my webcam footage... nothing but hundreds of people passing me until the final 2 miles when I finally started passing others.

Litespeed Ghisallo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:06 pm 

:lol: :lol: Ted I applaud you for being honest. Maybe next year you can post how you did it in 1 hr and change.

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:27 pm 

Thanks. In all honesty, it was not the hardest climb I have ever done. But I wasn't well prepared for it. The guy on the unicycle really crushed my spirits. hahaha

Here's an article about the little kid who also trounced me. The article is from last year. My son, who is 6 right now, has announced his desire to do this ride next year at 7 years old. I'm not sure what I think of that...

http://www.newhampshirelakesandmountain ... racer.html

Litespeed Ghisallo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:33 am 

That's a nice read!

I've decided that I'm gonna try to take it on next year (along with Everest Challenge and Mt. Whitney). After all, the world is ending in 2012 so I gotta get some suffering in before I deal with Post Apocalypse Unflinching Alien Judgement.

:beerchug: :beerchug:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:36 am 

Nico took the W!!!

Very, very nice!!!!!

Nico built my 780 gram wheelset. It's great to see a true weenie deliver the results.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:45 am 

Yeah, Nico had an amazing ride. He knew exactly how to do it... sit back patiently and then wait for people to explode. I've never seen the medics so busy... especially in a race with an 8mph max speed.

Litespeed Ghisallo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:18 am 

xnavalav8r wrote:
Thanks. In all honesty, it was not the hardest climb I have ever done. But I wasn't well prepared for it. The guy on the unicycle really crushed my spirits. hahaha

Here's an article about the little kid who also trounced me. The article is from last year. My son, who is 6 right now, has announced his desire to do this ride next year at 7 years old. I'm not sure what I think of that...

http://www.newhampshirelakesandmountain ... racer.html

Yeah that made me crack up the guy on the unicycle.

It would crush my spirits and yours if it was this kid passing us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbY9dB3B ... =1&index=1

Many people over estimate their abilities including some past champions we know well. :mrgreen:

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:43 am 

Nice job Nico. A really nice person as well. Always willing to answer any questions for you.

CRUMPTON 4.40kg, 9.70lbs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:04 pm 

Here's the dude who rode the mountain on a unicycle.

http://espn.go.com/espn/apphoto/photo?s ... Id=2652285

Thankfully I am out of the frame trying to stretch out a cramp in my calf... less that 100 meters from the finish. bah!

Litespeed Ghisallo

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:04 pm 

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next