HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:03 pm 

did anyone get fitted there in the past, how was your experience/level of satisfaction with the fit.
might be going in this friday
thanks

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:03 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:57 am 

Hey just curious but where do you ride out of? There's a new shop opening in Summit New Jersey I will be riding with if your in the area. Also about High Gear, I don't know if you have been in there before, the manager seems to know his stuff but the whole staff comes off as arrogant. I don't use them for fits but a couple of the guys I ride with have complained about how they where set up there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:06 am 

I've heard positive things about high gear, but then again, they were my n00b friends buying their shiny cannondales. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:12 am 

I got fit there years ago when I was just starting out by Eric. Decent fitting, not quite the level of a Retul or Dartfish.

It's a good shop with good customer service.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:04 am 

If you want a pro fit, go to Cyclesport in Park Ridge NJ. The fitting will take a couple of hours. Mind you, all fittings are not the end all and there are minor tweaks that you might make as your fitness and flexibility changes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:17 am 

Thanks everyone for adding your opinions. Cyclesport in Park Ridge would be a great option, but thats over 60 miles from me, I have two small kids and this would almost required that I take a day off, which is possible if you guys think that they are that good. What worries me is that going back for any touch ups will be a pain.
Here are my options from few local shops near by:

Martys in Morristown, BG Fit system, by Jesse, $ no sure
Cycle Craft in Morristown, by Mike, $300.00
High Gear, by Eric $150.0 and up
KNAPPS CYCLERY, Retul, $250.00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:28 am 

I just want to add that my fit is not to race, my 2005 scott cr1 team issus i just causing me to much pain, and I dont feel like Im comfortable on it any more, not to mention that I dont feel like my pedal stroke is where it use to be. cant ever get comfortable on my seat (that could be different issue) I do ride with the High Gear guys once in a while on their A ride on tuesdays, so I guess the fit is semi race, but ball park would be good, if I can get the balance of speed/efficiency/comfort I would be in heaven=)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:33 pm 

Knapps is a solid shop (I'm typing this from my work desk a mile away from them). Been in High Gear only once, know many of their racers, seems like a great shop but no informed opinion, only general good impression. Also consider Pure Energy in Lambertville - sells almost exclusively high end stuff (Parlee/Lynskey/etc. and Arounkone , the owner/manager, does a great fit. Had him build two Lynskeys for me (R430 and ProCross) and fit perfect on both.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:06 pm 

I would drive the extra to go to mike sherry at strictly bikes in fort lee. I cheaped out the first time and still have issues 2 years later. Do it once and do it right the first time even if it's a long drive.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:54 am 

digitalnorbs wrote:
I just want to add that my fit is not to race, my 2005 scott cr1 team issus i just causing me to much pain, and I dont feel like Im comfortable on it any more, not to mention that I dont feel like my pedal stroke is where it use to be. cant ever get comfortable on my seat (that could be different issue) I do ride with the High Gear guys once in a while on their A ride on tuesdays, so I guess the fit is semi race, but ball park would be good, if I can get the balance of speed/efficiency/comfort I would be in heaven=)

I'm on the same boat, so please post back as soon as you decide! I have a lot riding pain in my lower back and have been researching fitters as well to cure this problem.

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:54 am 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:47 am 

I had a bike fit with Eric at High Gear Stirling about 2 months ago (Cannondale Synapse HiMod) and was very pleased with the experience. He did a very thorough job fitting me and he worked with me to come up with several options to improve the fit of the bike. We ended up raising the saddle about 1/2" and moving it forward slightly to compensate for the rearward movement as the saddle was raised. In the next month I will bring another bike there to have the fit matched to the Synapse as the adjustment resolved some knee pain issues.

I have bought several bikes from High Gear and have gotten excellent after-the-sale service with several warranty issues.

Joe Donahue
Gillette, NJ