new shoes- bontrager RXXXL

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

howler

by howler

Just picked these up and thought i would post weight/photos for those interested.

Fit is fairly similar to specialized, for me at least. Good and tight around heel, flat and reasonably wide across mid foot (and fairly roomy through toe box). These are not as wide as sidi megas through mid foot but a little wider than equivalent giro factors that i tried on. My foot is too wide for normal sidis FWIW.

Trouble is, they are listed as size 44 which is, in bontrager sizing, equivalent to US size 11 not US size 10 as is usually the case for size 44 shoes- so they may be a bit too big for me :-x Getting new insoles tomorrow so hopefully they will be ok.

Material feels similar to high-end shimano shoes- quite a thin micro fiber, but in this case its basically one piece for teh entire shoe (heel cup and toe are separate pieces). Heel cup is a plastic material that is perforated, presumably to save weight (or add ventilation maybe?). Top of heel fabric (silvery bits in photos) is a type of one-way metallic material (slides when pushing down, but becomes very rough when pulling up) that I have seen on other high-end shoes. Buckle is lighter than sidi but seems to work well- clicks just not as solid-sounding a sidi. Most interesting to me is the lack of tongue in the shoe (see pic below)- looks more like a diving shoe. Fit feels like foot is being wrapped around the arch rather than just pushed down which i prefer. Carbon sole seems much thinner than my old sidis and shimanos (though these were lower level shoes). Sole seems pretty stiff but havent had the chance to ride them yet.

I now just hope i can get them to fit!

Right shoe- no insole, 239g

Left shoe- no insole (but including small tag), 243g

2 x insoles: 33g

No tongue in shoe- outer just wraps over arch.

Insoles following trend- moderate arch support with metatarsal button.

Purdy

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

Nice. I have the LTD shoes and they are amazing. Bontrager changed their sizing this year so everybody will wear a size smaller than they used to. They are more true to size now.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I just got my wife two pairs of these shoes. Our local shop is blowing out the 2011 versions for US$30.00. I would have bought some for myself but they were already out of my size.

jipperd

by jipperd

Nice shoes!

A question, you've compared them to the Specialized shoes, does these Bontrager shoes have the same slightly angled sole (BG) or is Bontrager using a 'flat' sole?

Thanks.

howler

by howler

@Fisherfreerider- thanks for info about sizing! Wish id known before i ordered!

@xnavalav8r - $30! unbelievable! The 2011 models are still over $250 here down under.

@jipperd- as far as i can see, there is no varus/valgus wedge built into these shoes- they're flat, no angle to sole.

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

Got my walkable edition shoes today.

howler

by howler

very pro! 8)

hansonator69

by hansonator69

howler wrote:very pro! 8)

+1.

Really great looking shoes :)
Slam your stem.