HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 1133, 1134, 1135, 1136, 1137, 1138, 1139 ... 1586  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:44 am 

OGE hasn't yet demonstrated that they have the strength or know-how on the team to support a GT contender, while SKY have shown repeatedly that they can do it. Sure, OGE have experienced riders like o'grady and plenty of young firepower to control a bunch, but they haven't actually done it in a grand tour yet. bit of a paradox...

If i were Porte and I wanted a GT win to my name i'd be sticking with SKY - maybe he can win a tour with OGE, but it's far more of a gamble. With SKY he knows he's making his attempt under optimum conditions. Surely it's no more complicated than that.

TP: i agree - i remember hearing quotes from people who should know that Richie was of no interest to OGE at their inception because had better development opportunities elsewhere (and i'm sure the sentiment went both ways) but that once OGE were matured somewhat he would be sought after as their GC contender. perhaps once he has won a tour with SKY (he should have a decent chance at the vuelta this year as many have speculated) he may be more willing to ride for a weaker team if there's more money on the table and he is given the opportunity to be 1st in the pecking order rather than 3rd or 4th as he is at SKY.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:33 am 

Tinea Pedis wrote:
No, opportunities. You read the article yesterday? Even before that it should have been apparent there are not enough GT's to cater for the talent Sky have on hand.

Obvisouly it's true but that's why they have been dominating so far.
Let's take an example which isnt from Marmite-land :mrgreen: ; Santambrogio last year was with BMC but then decided to have a cut in his paycheck and go for his own chances with a smaller team.
Did it work? Yes. Would every pro do it? Im not so sure.

Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:33 am 

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:39 am 

Was it spinwax complaing about classic bars position on the random cyclist?
We should send a complain letter to UCI to fix that.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:54 am 

micky wrote:
Let's take an example which isnt from Marmite-land :mrgreen:

:?

Vegemite is where it's at. Marmite :shock:

micky wrote:
Santambrogio last year was with BMC but then decided to have a cut in his paycheck and go for his own chances with a smaller team.
Did it work? Yes. Would every pro do it? Im not so sure.

That example would stack up better if there would have likely been a pay-cut for Richie, which I highly doubt.

Also, why are we behaving like this is a new concept in sport? Hundreds of athletes have done what Santambrogio did and what we some thought Richie might do. You don't even have to be short of success to do it - Gary Ablett Jr (who I do not expect you to know, but arguably the best active AFL player) left his star-studded Geelong Cats team to start with an entirely new team (ala Green Edge 2 years ago). Simply because he wanted the challenge.

Point is, athletes moving teams for bigger opportunities is nothing new. Whatever Richie has been offered clearly constitutes a bigger opportunity for him than moving did - only issue is in cycling, there is a finite number of those big offerings a team can dangle in front of a rider. Hence why the Colombians are now restless.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:14 am 

Marmite - isn't that KIWI?
I don't know why this subject is even coming up.. Porte never said he was considering leave Sky, he never said he was interested in joining any other team. In fact, from what I recall on the interweb, on websites or on TV, I've never seen any thing what so ever about Porte and his contract.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:30 am 

There is a Kiwi and English version of Marmite. Neither are any good.

And of course he's said nothing, he's a quiet guy in addition to be being 100% professional is his dealings. The chatter is on popular speculation given the needs of OGE, Richie's nationality and our national desire to see an Aussie rider leading an Aussie team at the Tour de France.

It can't be based on anything else, as there hasn't been anything else said to base it on.

Post subject: "PRO" Cycling Discussion
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:21 am 

Unless Porte got a fat offer from BMC or maybe potentially Cannondale, no other team could offer a strong pay check combined with GT firepower and opportunity to be sole GC leader that Sky can.

Re:BMC- Cadel has got one good tour left and TvG doesn't cut the mustard in my book. I'd rather have Porte.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:23 am 

Fiery wrote:
Evans too mentioned that there is some some gear they are using this year that is simply not finished and ready - and he said it commenting on Wiggins' Trentino bike toss. What equipment do BMC and Sky share?

I was thinking along the same lines. Evans was surprisingly candid about the equipment issues.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:28 am 

Leviathan wrote:
5 8 5 wrote:
I enjoy reading The Secret Pro.

I found it pretty annoying - Lots of "I know something but I cant tell you what/who/why". Tease.

Problem is he wouldn't be The Secret Pro if he revealed too much. Revealing small tidbits is part of the charm.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:04 pm 

I don't think Santambrogio really went to Farnese-Vini for more opportunities, but maybe because BMC kept benching him for his involvement in the Mantova Investigation. Farnese just hired Di Luca back so they probably have a less strict attitude about riders racing when they're under a major doping investigation.

TP- You are right and I am wrong. Not sure what you want me to say, but others clarify what I thought I had read from Bobridge. Either way, there are a lot of Australian pros who have not felt the need to go to Green Edge and even when you take nationality out of it why would they? OGE has some good results, some promising riders, but it hasn't materialized into a major force yet. It definitely has the potential to, but I bet a serious GC contender does not want to wait around for that. The way I see it now OGE is basically like Sky was at their inception, but Sky managed to turn it around a little quicker with a GT win in their 3rd season, and a GT podium in their 2nd. OGE is not likely to do that.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:18 pm 

TP - even though I know what you are trying to say, and I agree, I don't think Gary Ablett jr is the correct comparison haha

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:21 pm 

Christ, I give up :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:24 pm 

In my mind its a double edge sword..
OGE came in to the pro ranks when a lot of the guys they probably would have loved to have on their books were already tied in to current contacts. Out of Goss, Renshaw & Cav who were obviously out of contract, Renshaw had already signed with Rabo so it was down to Cav and Goss. No brainer for Gerry to sign an Aussie. The rest are the best of the unsigned riders who weren't opposed to joining an Aussie start up team.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:28 pm 

KWalker wrote:
The way I see it now OGE is basically like Sky was at their inception, but Sky managed to turn it around a little quicker with a GT win in their 3rd season, and a GT podium in their 2nd. OGE is not likely to do that.

I pretty much agree with this but think the teams do have slightly different goals - e.g. Sky have been rather poor in the classics but OGE won a monument in their 1st season.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:33 pm 

With a rider who had left Sky ;)

Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:33 pm 

Go to page Previous  1 ... 1133, 1134, 1135, 1136, 1137, 1138, 1139 ... 1586  Next