The CAAD Build Thread...

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

quattrings

by quattrings

2ndgen wrote:
quattrings wrote:
2ndgen wrote:...

I suppose those are vinyl wraps on the DA shifters? I've been playing with the idea of doing something similar. Was it easy and did you remove the lever?
Gonna try it first on my 105's and source some 7800 DA's in the mean time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380166141540?ss ... _500wt_832" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best place I've found for it (yes, carbon fiber vinyl wrapping tape).
It was super easy to do and I did it without taking off the levers.
Next time though, I'd take them off.

What helped a lot was having a hot air gun and an Exacto Knife with a fresh blade.
I used alcohol to clean and decontaminate the shifters then used the hot air gun
very lightly to dry them and to warm the shifters up a bit. It takes patience and there
are areas I could've done a better job of trimming, but there was a learning curve.

But damn they look good. Much better than the shifters alone.

I'm going to do the front derailleur next and then I'll add some to the rear derailleur
to tone down the silver some, but I'm not going to for complete coverage; just some.

I'm gonna have my fork (2009 slice) wrapped and hopefully they have enough leftovers to do the shifters in the same black gloss (twice if it works on the 105's).
colour.
That enigma sticker is quite a nice touch too. really personalizes it. You just need a hollowgram with some green bolts to match :wink:

@ devinci,
Never replied to your thread but that is one sweet machine! Very agressive position and I love the traditional WCS.

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

devinci wrote:Check out the caad link in my signature for my caad9

It now has a few upgrades (sisl srm) might update the pics soon.

Your's is one of the threads that inspired me to start this thread. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

quattrings wrote:I'm gonna have my fork (2009 slice) wrapped and hopefully they have enough leftovers to do the shifters in the same black gloss (twice if it works on the 105's).
colour.
That enigma sticker is quite a nice touch too. really personalizes it. You just need a hollowgram with some green bolts to match :wink:

Look at my build...don't you think that if I could put a Hollowgram on that sucker I would have by now?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=85393

If I were to have any regrets about buying my particular '09 CAAD9-7, it would be that I didn't wait to get the BB30 '10 version. BUT, I also didn't see the sense in it at the time since the CAAD10 was coming out the year after the one year run of the BB30 CAAD9. For me, it was actually a toss-up between my 9 and a 10. A deal came up I couldn't refuse (the BBQ CAAD9 in my size in my color literally 20 minutes from my house brand new in the box from an LBS for $750.) so that pretty much sealed it for me. Plus, the 10 wasn't going to be available until the following year.

If I knew then what I know now, I would've gotten the '10. HOWEVER, i have no regrets in not getting it.

But yeah...if I could fit a Hollowgram on my CAAD9 without much increase in weight from any adapter that I had to use, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I've calculated my Ultegra SL/Praxis/Dura-Ace 7800 BB set up to weigh about 773g. There is a potential for a 190g drop + whatever has to be done that will add weight to the set-up. Right now however, I believe that my crankset is within Dura-Ace and current Red crankset range.

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

quattrings wrote:That enigma sticker is quite a nice touch too. really personalizes it.

I think you just gave me the name for my bike. :thumbup:

mattlawro

by mattlawro

New season looming, decided not to buy a super6 this year and rebuild the Caad.

Parts brought.
Sram Red Black groupset.
SISL Black
New wheels.....

I might even weigh the parts this time :lol:

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

mattlawro wrote:New season looming, decided not to buy a super6 this year and rebuild the Caad.

Parts brought.
Sram Red Black groupset.
SISL Black
New wheels.....

I might even weigh the parts this time :lol:

Can't wait for those pics. :mrgreen:

Here's mine...

Last edited by 2ndgen on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

Posted recently on RBR, but saw this thread so, here it is.....
Bought as a built-up 10.1 and rebuilt to as shown. I think the only thing 'stock' on it is the seatpost clamp.
14.06 lbs as shown including pedals, Quarq, cages.

2015 Specialized Crux Pro
2013 BMC TMR01 custom build
2013 Cannondale F-Series 29'er, Carbon 3
2012 Cannondale CAAD10-1 custom build, 14.06 lbs
1980 Palo Alto custom build

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

80g the easy way...

7390g before removal of tape, gel & aluminum plugs
7310g after removal of tape, gel & installation of carbon plugs
80g gone tonight (and for free!)

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Very nice build!!! Inspiration for me for sure.....wish my CAAD10 was the matte black. May have to send her to the anodizing shop next winter!

fastrow23

by fastrow23

Gearhead65 wrote:Image

Where did you get this Garmin mount? Custom made I assume?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

So, I have a question:

Is this thread now more of a "Post your CAAD" thread, or more of a "any problems you encountered while building your CAAD" thread ?

If the former, I think a thread (maybe even this one, moved) would be perfect over in Gallery.
If the latter, it seems like not many posts about the issues that may or may come up whilst building a CAAD, no?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

prendrefeu wrote:So, I have a question:

Is this thread now more of a "Post your CAAD" thread, or more of a "any problems you encountered while building your CAAD" thread ?

If the former, I think a thread (maybe even this one, moved) would be perfect over in Gallery.
If the latter, it seems like not many posts about the issues that may or may come up whilst building a CAAD, no?

It's an "anything you want to post" thread.

People can post their CAADs (built up or stock).
Build sheets are definitely always welcomed.
Problems & questions can be posted.
Rumors of future CAADs can be shared.
Discussion of past models can be enjoyed.

And many issues have/do come up.
That's the purpose of this thread, to centralize the discussions.
Think of it as a CAAD Owners (and potential CAAD owners) club.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me how it goes as long as CAADs are the topic, I'm in.

:mrgreen:

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I guess it could go either way then, no?

Your call, I just think it deserves a place of honor among the other brand/model-specific threads over in the Gallery section. They seem to be covering all that stuff over there quite well, especially the Colnago thread.

Best of luck. :thumbup:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

prendrefeu wrote:I guess it could go either way then, no?

Your call, I just think it deserves a place of honor among the other brand/model-specific threads over in the Gallery section. They seem to be covering all that stuff over there quite well, especially the Colnago thread.

Best of luck. :thumbup:

Thanks.
I just go where they tell me.
The thread was moved here by the Mods from the Road Cycling section...I had no say in the matter.

:)