Let's See Your Time Trial bike

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

HakeemT

by HakeemT

My TT bike on a ‘budget’.
Started out as the stock standard 2016 P2 - upgrades include saddle, bars and extensions, quarq pm, and sram shifters and derailleurs.

An older HED disc (10 speed body is just wide enough to fit 11 speed cassette with the lock ring filed down!) and Zipp 404 front are used for the occasional race.

Interestingly I ran into a bit of an issue complying with the UCI reg.

I had no intention of upgrading the stock 105 derailleurs and DA shifters. But after I changed my arm/hand position with the 50 degree extensions, the shifter measured 14cm from armrest in its most vertical position (ie shifted into largest rear sprocket ). Even though you’d almost never be in that gear (especially when racing), and your hands would be lower as you’d definitely not be holding only the top of the shift lever, I wanted to make sure to stay within 10cm (UCI reg).

Sticking with the extensions meant either DI 2 or SRAM (or campag) r2c-style shifters which you ‘lock’ into their highest rested position. Since this was supposed to be a ‘budget’ TT bike I ended up with the cheapest option - SRAM. I then had to move the extensions 1.5cm back to stay within the 80cm rule. In the end a slightly compromised position but until I gain 40 watts at threshold I will finish 3 minutes down on Tinea Pedis anyway...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NickJHP

by NickJHP

fordred wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:03 am
NickJHP wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:38 am
Me on my (now fairly elderly) Cervelo P3. The photo was taken at a mid-winter TT with the temperature only just above freezing, hence the Assos Commander suit and full finger gloves:

Looks like u need bike fitting, or a change of frame.
Why?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

NickJHP wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:01 am
fordred wrote:
NickJHP wrote:
Me on my (now fairly elderly) Cervelo P3. The photo was taken at a mid-winter TT with the temperature only just above freezing, hence the Assos Commander suit and full finger gloves:

Why?
Big air scoop with your hands pointing down- rotate your extensions up somewhat from horizontal, if its possible with those bars.
I suspect the what looks like a slack seat angle makes it look too long a bike for you- maybe come forward some, and rotate your hips.
Oh and the head. shrug it.

I dont think its too big, just poorly set up.
Official cafe stop tester

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

jekyll man wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:09 am
NickJHP wrote:

Big air scoop with your hands pointing down- rotate your extensions up somewhat from horizontal, if its possible with those bars.
I suspect the what looks like a slack seat angle makes it look too long a bike for you- maybe come forward some, and rotate your hips.

Agree... based on the pic,its hard to determine if the bike is justa shade too big or if its just not as optimised as it could be, but you're definitely giving up some when it comes to aero... I'd even say that based on the pic, you'd be just as fast on an aero road bike, except for the disc wheel.

Marin

by Marin

I think some posters have no idea about areodynamics or fit beyond what they see on TV.

Based on the logic above this guy probably also needs a fit and his bike is the wrong size:

Grill

by Grill

Marin wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:43 pm
I think some posters have no idea about areodynamics or fit beyond what they see on TV.

Based on the logic above this guy probably also needs a fit and his bike is the wrong size:

That Obree picture doesn't tell the whole story as he was racing in a CTT event under CTT rules and was trying not to get DQ'd (he had a hge target on him). He would not have had such a strange position had the 3cm rule not been in existance (or no longer taken into account as it is now). Also note that he has no base bar and the brake is on the extension (this is no longer allowed due to his use of it). Pretty sure he crashed in this race too.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Marin wrote:

Quite possibly he did what he did despite his position, and not because of.

And Grill i'm 99% certain is correct, he did fall off in this event (national 10), and also countless other times too (search the web for champions- boardman vs obree)

jekyll man

by jekyll man

My new weapon...

ImageUntitled by jekyll man, on Flickr

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Marin wrote:

If you can't see the differences bwteen the poster above and that Obree pic, that is laughable.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

jekyll man wrote:
NickJHP wrote:
fordred wrote:
NickJHP wrote:

Why?

Really? It doesn't seem to have slowed me down too much - with that bike setup as you see it, I won an Australian national vets TT title, and also several state tltles.

Grill

by Grill

NickJHP wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:49 pm
Really? It doesn't seem to have slowed me down too much - with that bike setup as you see it, I won an Australian national vets TT title, and also several state tltles.
So you make good power, but it says nothing as to your CdA (which I would wager is quite high). There are many aero sins there, but if you're happy with it then fine.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

NickJHP wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:49 pm
jekyll man wrote:
NickJHP wrote:
fordred wrote:

Why?

If you're winning and you're happy with it, that's great, but that doesn't mean you can't go faster.

Multebear

by Multebear

@NickJHP I agree with the others. There's something wrong with your position in order to minimize your frontal aera. And I cant imagine, that you position agrees with the UCI 75 cm saddle to bars rule.

I know it's not fair to compare with Toms textbook position on a tt bike. But look how the back of his helmet is flush with his back. It doesn't get any more aero. And the helmet makes for a huge amount of drag, if it's not hidden away.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Coming into winter time here so I got plenty of time to play with fit.

New pads from 51 speedshop, and angled wedges from Adaptive HP. I flipped the extensions to get higher. Currently sitting at 13cm above the centre of the pad, so need to get the saw out.

caddis

by caddis

^ 10 cm measurement is taken from the inside edge of the pad.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com