Let's See Your Time Trial bike

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

engi

by engi

Stoo wrote:Image

Stoo, sorry to quote an old photo, but I have a question on this position. IIRC, UCI at some point were trying to outlaw praying mantis type positions by imposing restrictions on aerobar dimensions/positioning. I realize your position is not a full on praying mantis, but the intention, I believe is the same - to "ball up" as much as possible. I've been trying to achieve the same thing but am not able to angle my ski bends up enough with the current cockpit...planning to change that out :D
Anyway, two questions for you.
1. When you examine your bike setup (aerobars, specifically) against the UCI rulebook, do you feel that it complies with the spirit of the regulations?
2. In the quoted photo, are you using regular ski bends, but flipped 180deg? Meaning, what is normally the forward end is being clamped at the basebar?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Been busy with the drill today.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

mrlobber wrote:
CrankAddictsRich wrote:Shiv TT is finally done... for the most part. So pumped to finally ride and get to race it in a few weeks.

Looking totally fast, almost oldschool-Tony-Martin style! :thumbup:

Only old skool Martin never rode ski bend.

Stoo, angled arm rests are UCI legal?

engi - Stoo can correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe that pic is from when his bike was set up to be UCI legal.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Tinea Pedis wrote:
mrlobber wrote:
CrankAddictsRich wrote:Shiv TT is finally done... for the most part. So pumped to finally ride and get to race it in a few weeks.

Looking totally fast, almost oldschool-Tony-Martin style! :thumbup:

Only old skool Martin never rode ski bend.

I think he was referencing the almost totally hidden cables/wires.

engi

by engi

Tinea Pedis wrote:

Stoo, angled arm rests are UCI legal?

engi - Stoo can correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe that pic is from when his bike was set up to be UCI legal.

Thanks, Tinea Pedis. Looking at Stoo's pic on the previous page, where he says it is UCI legal, it appears to me that the extensions are protruding even higher/farther. Could just be the angle difference between the 2 photos. :noidea:

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Tinea Pedis wrote:Stoo, angled arm rests are UCI legal?

assuming it is only because t.martin currently has angled arm rests (?)

dominikk

by dominikk

My budget TT bike ...

Riding Paniagua - The Future of cycling!

jens

by jens

Tinea Pedis wrote:...

The angle doesn't matter for UCI. The rule is 10 cm rise. In this photo, it looks to be about 3X that.

jens

by jens

“For road time trials and individual and team pursuit on the track, a fixed extension may be added to the steering system; in this instance, the height difference between the elbow support points and the highest and lowest points of the handlebar extension (including gear levers) must be less than 10 cm."
Last edited by jens on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Which gives the next question, with sloping elbow pads which point would you measure your 10cm envelope from? ;)

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

CarlosFerreiro wrote:Which gives the next question, with sloping elbow pads which point would you measure your 10cm envelope from? ;)

I'm guessing that even the UCI officials don't have an answer as it seems like compliant vs. non-compliant depends on who is measuring the bike... wasn't there a situation at this years TDF, where someone's bike was measured just before the start and it was non-compliant (I want to say it was Uran) and he had to start on a back up bike, which was compliant. I can't believe that these guy's would be altering their bikes constantly and wouldn't be rare of what is compliant vs. non-compliant and I can't believe they'd have one bike set-up with one fit and the spare would be a different fit. I'm guessing that the bikes were the same and the difference between one being good and one being bad was user-error with the jig/measuring system... and the guys probably are close to the edge of what's being in.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

nathanong87 wrote:it's nice to get back on the road quickly via etap installation. my legs , back, shoulders, arms were NOT READY

You're in Maryland??? Doing the Delaware State TT?

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

CrankAddictsRich wrote:

You're in Maryland??? Doing the Delaware State TT?[/quote]

yup born and raised maryland-er here! haha retired from racing this year, so this bike is on coffee bike duties for a while

are you racing DE states?

prebsy

by prebsy

stay outta my state ONG =P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

nathanong87 wrote:
CrankAddictsRich wrote:

You're in Maryland??? Doing the Delaware State TT?

yup born and raised maryland-er here! haha retired from racing this year, so this bike is on coffee bike duties for a while

are you racing DE states?[/quote]

Yup.. coming down to race the River Towns TT (DE State Championship) on saturday.