Anyone still have a steel bike?

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

[quote="Tinea Pedis"]

My latest steel addition.

quote]

Nice to see you sticking with the pink theme there Nick
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

My latest acquisition (pre-makeover) - one for the croweaters out there - an early 1950's (we think) Super Elliott as raced by local rider Fred Papps. Lots of modern kit on it so not period correct and in desperate need for a repaint but featuring Super Elliott's distinctive ornate lugwork. Really looking forward to doing a bike with the fancy 40's and 50's paintwork with scrolls, script and feathering.

Last edited by dadoflam08 on Sat May 06, 2017 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tp1kenobi

by tp1kenobi

jockeywilson wrote:This is my eddy merckx, made with Columbus slx I think.

Great looking bike. +1 on the deltas

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Timo - amazing vetta. What downtube lever is that? I'm building a trek madone (2006) with a campag 10sp right shifter and a downtube lever (had to use dura-Ace as can't find a campag or light equivalent. Likewise had to use a oem left hand brake lever as can't find a campag record one.

Timo

by Timo

campagowlo wrote:Timo - amazing vetta. What downtube lever is that? I'm building a trek madone (2006) with a campag 10sp right shifter and a downtube lever (had to use dura-Ace as can't find a campag or light equivalent. Likewise had to use a oem left hand brake lever as can't find a campag record one.

Thanks "campagowlo", it's also from my spare parts box - originally used on my Merlin, it's a Campagnolo Syncro shifter with a carbon lever made by BTP mounted with a Syntace titanium bolt. The brakelever came from the "Campagnolo TT" range and is basically an Ergopower without the shifting mechanism.
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

Timo

by Timo

Not in the same league as my Vetta but here nostalgia reigns supreme:

in 1990 I was 17 years old and my dad agreed to match half of the price of the racing bike I desired. I worked all summer at the local supermarket and saved all my earnings. I was over the moon when we finally went to the local bike shop to order the bike I had been admiring in a brochure for months: a purple & seafoam green Peugeot Izoard, Reynolds 501 with Shimano RX100 7sp components. 25 years later all that remains are an out of focus photo and a pic of me riding it down an Austrian mountain road in 1991.

A few months ago I came across a Peugeot Altus 531 in the exact same colors and in the exact same size. I could not resist and bought it on impulse. Same colors, better tubes, cool seatpost and saddle but unfortunately the 105 group with the awful light grey finish.

I replaced all the Shimano parts for Campagnolo, added 3ttt stem and bars and wheels for tubular tires...

And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

dadoflam08 wrote:Nice to see you sticking with the pink theme there Nick

Is a big part of our team's scheme - but worked out well for me ;)

leicaman

by leicaman

Tinea Pedis wrote:Love those Wilier Superleggera's. And the Rusby (not heard of them before, but want to look more at them).

My latest steel addition.

Beautiful bike. I was very tempted to go with a Stinner when I first started looking into getting a custom steel bike. They are creating some of the most beautiful bikes out there at the moment.

Timo

by Timo

Wingnut wrote:Looks really nice Timo, love the left shifter. Beautiful colour for the frame and stem too...how do you compare it to the feel of the Merlin Ti?

With the rims going through all the stages of applying layers of glue I could not wait so I put in wheels with Record hubs, Sapim spokes, Open Pro ceramic rims and 25mm Veloflex clinchers and went for a spin. The Vetta is definitely on par with my Merlin: the geometry is exactly the same because I asked Antonio to replicate the angles and measurements of the Extralight and Bart to use the angle and length of a Syntace F99. The frames deliver comparable ride comfort and I hardly noticed the slight weight penalty from the steel frame, steel fork and steel stem compared to the titanium, carbon and aluminium from the Merlin. Perhaps I would if I took it to the hills or mountains but since my Merlin is permanently at the house in Burgundy no doubt this Vetta will become my favourite ride in the Amsterdam area for long comfortable rides :thumbup:

To compare: same spot but two-and-a-half years apart my Merlin in 2014 and my Vetta in 2017...

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Excellent...I did the same with my bikes, copied the same dimensions of my Merlin Extralights....it's nice to have bikes of similar dimensions but different materials to get a true comparison and enjoy their qualities...

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

Timo - two beautiful bikes you've got there! Both of them are pretty perfect in my eyes [emoji1360]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

hmai18 wrote:Image

What frame manufacturer is this please guys?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+