The Canyon love thread

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

sennder

by sennder

Hello forum,

I've been eyeing the Endurace CF SLX 8.0 di2 since launch in the States, and with the recent price drop, I'm ready to go for it. However, sizing is still a bit confusing for me.

My height is 168cm. I currently ride an old Trek with H2 geometry 52cm size. That mean a reach of 379mm and stack of 547mm. My current stem is 100mm and handlebars are 400mm. At 72cm or so saddle height, I find my current setup very comfortable.

For the Endurace, the suggested size is XS (370mm reach, 532mm stack, 80mm stem and 380mm handlebars). However, I feel that the saddle to bar drop will be a little too much for my preference, especially since my non-endurance geometry Trek has a higher stack. Further, the handlebars might be too narrow.

In comparison, the S size (376mm reach, 557mm stack, 90mm stem and 400mm handlebars) feels like a better alternative. I'll get a cm more of stack and a cm shorter reach (due to the shorter stem).

Could anyone with experience with this bike advise me on the sizing?

Thanks
Sennder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jimmerjohn123

by jimmerjohn123

sennder wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:08 pm
Hello forum,

I've been eyeing the Endurace CF SLX 8.0 di2 since launch in the States, and with the recent price drop, I'm ready to go for it. However, sizing is still a bit confusing for me.

My height is 168cm. I currently ride an old Trek with H2 geometry 52cm size. That mean a reach of 379mm and stack of 547mm. My current stem is 100mm and handlebars are 400mm. At 72cm or so saddle height, I find my current setup very comfortable.

For the Endurace, the suggested size is XS (370mm reach, 532mm stack, 80mm stem and 380mm handlebars). However, I feel that the saddle to bar drop will be a little too much for my preference, especially since my non-endurance geometry Trek has a higher stack. Further, the handlebars might be too narrow.

In comparison, the S size (376mm reach, 557mm stack, 90mm stem and 400mm handlebars) feels like a better alternative. I'll get a cm more of stack and a cm shorter reach (due to the shorter stem).

Thanks
Sennder
I’m pretty much in the same exact situation as you are. You have to be careful about sizing up in a canyon due to their VCLS seatpost. The unique design means there is a minimum saddle height because the seatpost can only go in so far before disrupting the VCLS design. Due to this, I cannot size up to the S and the XS would be a bit awkward as you pointed out.

Unfortunately I have had to come to the conclusion that Canyon isn’t going to work for me.

EDIT* upon further research, the minimum seat post isn’t an issue for you. I would say give it a try, it sounds like sizing up could work for you.

sennder

by sennder

jimmerjohn123 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:16 pm
sennder wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:08 pm
Hello forum,

Thanks
Sennder
I’m pretty much in the same exact situation as you are. You have to be careful about sizing up in a canyon due to their VCLS seatpost. The unique design means there is a minimum saddle height because the seatpost can only go in so far before disrupting the VCLS design. Due to this, I cannot size up to the S and the XS would be a bit awkward as you pointed out.

Unfortunately I have had to come to the conclusion that Canyon isn’t going to work for me.

EDIT* upon further research, the minimum seat post isn’t an issue for you. I would say give it a try, it sounds like sizing up could work for you.
Thanks for the encouraging words! The minimum seatpost height was something I did look at. I suppose I'll give S a try, and exchange it for an XS if it doesn't work out. Their return policy says store credit for returns within 30 days (if used).

Does anyone have experience with Canyon returns?
EDIT: In the US, specifically

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

Hi Canyon riders, Im looking to possibly get the Canyon Endurace CF. My hight is 174cm, inseam is at 31.5. According to their site, small is my size. My old bike was a Cervelo RS which isnt far off from the Canyon Endurace cf. Just wanted to be safe and check in with you all:)

thank you

hidefguy

by hidefguy

i'm about 177cm inseam about 32. Didn't know whether to buy a Medium or Small. Canyon USA let me go to their sales office and sit on a bike (couldn't ride no pedals) and basically size it up without riding. Ending up purchasing a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX in size small.

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

thank you, I just found a size calculator on their site as well. Looks like Small is my size as well.

dcorn

by dcorn

Ordered an Aeroad 8.0 Di2 Disc on the 20th, just arrived yesterday morning. I'm 180cm with a 32 inseam and bought a Small, so I think I'm going to need some yoga to fit with the low stack height. I just didn't want to be too stretched out like I was with my 56cm Tarmac.

One annoyance on the build: The Di2 wires from the shifters to the stem junction box are too long and the aero cover and my garmin mount won't fit. Hopefully I can get some shorter wires from Canyon, but that means I have to remove the bar tape to install. This should have been noticed in the factory :?

Last edited by dcorn on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slake21

by slake21

dcorn wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:25 pm
My pics won't upload :(
use imgur.com

dcorn

by dcorn

To fix the above problem, Canyon told me the Di2 wires should have been coiled up under the bar tape towards the ends of the bar to leave room for longer bars in the future. I was able to do it, but not too comfortable with how tightly the wires are bent and smashed under the tape. I'll keep it like this for now, but I ordered shorter wires to go from the shifters to junction box to hopefully prevent having to bend up the wires. Then I can keep the stock ones as spares.

Canyon did offer up to $40 reimbursed if I wanted to take it to a shop to get this issue fixed, so at least they recognized it was a mistake. And offered me some swag, so I wonder what that will be...

Since I got the wires situated, I was able to install the Canyon Garmin mount and it's completely off-center when tightened down. Not sure how that can even happen. I just can't win.
Last edited by dcorn on Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dinesh2988

by dinesh2988

Finally ordered the Aeroad electronic frameset in size XS. Delivery date canyon gave me is for mid march, now the same frameset is available for delivery for mid feb. Anyways i am not in a hurry to build this.
Have a pair of DTSwiss ARC 62.. Just confused on what groupset should i go for .. eTap or Di2 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcorn

by dcorn

I would have gone with Etap (then I wouldn't have any wiring problems), but on the fully built bike it was 3 GRAND more than the Ultegra Di2 version. All the same parts other than shifters and brakes. Sram must be charging Canyon a fortune for the pleasure of their groupset.

dinesh2988

by dinesh2988

dcorn wrote:To fix the above problem, Canyon told me the Di2 wires should have been coiled up under the bar tape towards the ends of the bar to leave room for longer bars in the future. I was able to do it, but not too comfortable with how tightly the wires are bent and smashed under the tape. I'll keep it like this for now, but I ordered shorter wires to go from the shifters to junction box to hopefully prevent having to bend up the wires. Then I can keep the stock ones as spares.

Canyon did offer up to $40 reimbursed if I wanted to take it to a shop to get this issue fixed, so at least they recognized it was a mistake. And offered me some swag, so I wonder what that will be...

Since I got the wires situated, I was able to install the Canyon Garmin mount and it's completely off-center when tightened down. Not sure how that can even happen. I just can't win.
What kind of mount will i need for the Wahoo Bolt on my Aeroad integrated handlebar ?
I have already 2 bikes with Wahoo Bolt mounts already and don’t wish to go with Garmin again... any workarounds ?

slake21

by slake21

dinesh2988 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:12 pm
What kind of mount will i need for the Wahoo Bolt on my Aeroad integrated handlebar ?
I have already 2 bikes with Wahoo Bolt mounts already and don’t wish to go with Garmin again... any workarounds ?
there are some aftermarket mounts like this or this one

dinesh2988

by dinesh2988

slake21 wrote:
dinesh2988 wrote:
there are some aftermarket mounts like this or this one
Thanks men ... Ordered the REC-Mount from Amazon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dcorn

by dcorn

dinesh2988 wrote:
I was able to quickly modify the Canyon Garmin mount to hold my Wahoo Bolt.

All it takes is two holes drilled in the mount to turn the insert sideways, and slight trimming of the insert where the ears go in. Seems that wahoo made the ears on the Bolt sliiiiiightly wider than Garmin ears so it doesn't fit unless you trim a little off the mount to open up the spot where the ears go in.