On the road today...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tonytourist

by tonytourist

BMC Development Team rider Tyler Williams
:thumbup:

Routier

by Routier

That's an amazing photo airwise, it should be on the cover of a bike brochure :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wojchiech

by wojchiech

if you look hard enough in the third photo, you can see lick observatory on top of mt. hamilton

Last edited by wojchiech on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

twigstim

by twigstim

Beautiful pictures woj. Riding california seems like such a fairy tale experience for me. I've lived in NE my entire life and definitely see a drastic change in scenery in the near future. Your photos help potentiate this craving.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

wojchiech wrote:Image
The horror, the horror. Is this Mt. Hamilton Road? What mile marker? How much of it is like this? Are the significant potholes (missing chunks of pavement, or whatever you want to call it) only above the snow and ice line (where there has been snow and ice this winter)?

wojchiech

by wojchiech

HammerTime2 wrote:Is this Mt. Hamilton Road? What mile marker? How much of it is like this? Are the significant potholes (missing chunks of pavement, or whatever you want to call it) only above the snow and ice line (where there has been snow and ice this winter)?

It's actually Mt. Umunhum Rd, which is right next to the Santa Cruz mountain ridge, and on the other side of the bay area valley. I hinted that you could see Mt. Hamilton observatory from one of my photos. That road is closed to motor vehicles, and is technically on private property as you get closer to the summit. Mt. Umunhum was actually a radar station for the air force during the cold war, and there was actually some nuclear waste up there (hence why it's closed, and why the roads are in such bad condition). During colder storms around here, there is snow near the top (and anything above 2,000+ feet most of the time), but it doesn't last long and usually melts within a week.

There is actually a restoration project that has been recently approved that will completely renovate the area (and hopefully the roads), and make it more tourist (and cyclist) friendly. Right now it's not so friendly - I was actually sternly reminded by a gentleman working up there that I was on private property when I was near the top, and politely obliged to go back down past the public preserve property line. :lol: :beerchug:

You can read more about the restoration project here: http://www.openspace.org/plans_projects/mt_umunhum.asp
Last edited by wojchiech on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Thanks. Crisis over given that's not Mt. Hamilton Road.

KWalker

by KWalker

Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Routier

by Routier

twigstim

by twigstim

KWalker wrote:Image

Is this a climb in the DC area?

Sworksxtc

by Sworksxtc

ImageImage

Went for a 50 km before 6 inches of snow hits Calgary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats how I ROLL!

Dalai

by Dalai

As the Race director for this years Warburton Race weekend, I wanted to meet with the previous Race Director to make sure I hadn't missed anything in the planning.

For Victorians - it will be a great weekends racing.

Mt Donna hillclimb on the 23rd March http://www.vic.cycling.org.au/?ID=49440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hilly road race out past Powelltown on the 24th March http://www.vic.cycling.org.au/?ID=49439" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since I was in Warburton, why not squeeze in a quick ride...

First Mt Donna Buang (16.8km at 6.4%) repeats of the year in preparation for the States trip later this year. Only time for two repeats today... Ended with 70km total and 2138m vert.

Wasn't used to it being warm on the climb given my previous repeats were through winters past, so didn't apply sunscreen. :roll: Also enjoyed sitting in the river after the ride, also something I would never consider mid winter!

Routier

by Routier

I think you should go back and take a photo from the top of that tower :wink:

KWalker

by KWalker

twigstim wrote:
KWalker wrote:Image

Is this a climb in the DC area?

Not really. Its a closed climb called the Pinnacles that is off of Skyline Drive just West of Sperryville, VA.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Dalai

by Dalai

Routier wrote:I think you should go back and take a photo from the top of that tower :wink:

Did back in June 2011... As it was freezing that day (Four degrees celcius on the summit) I ended climbing up and down in my cleats! No way was I going to walk up the steel structure in bare feet...

View from the tower.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com