HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:37 pm 

In case any other Edge 510 owners are having problems losing ride data, or all data on your device for that matter, Garmin has finally acknowledged there is a serious problem: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.ph ... g-All-Data : "Garmin is aware of this issue that some of you are reporting where the Edge 510 seemingly loses your data and settings". They are testing a fix. Hopefully it won't introduce a number of other problems, but I guess it can't get much worse.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:57 am 
Administrator

It happened to me with my 500 too if I did not after a ride stop the unit and then reset the data which it would then save. If I would just stop the unit and turn it off when I went to download the unit it would sometimes drop the ride data. This may help with your issue.

-First one over the cliff wins!

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:57 am 

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:13 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not sure I understand. I usually Stop the timer, then Save the data, thereby resetting the timers etc to zero. A while after the device says "Ride saved to history" I turn it off.

Losing a ride once in a while is just the smaller problem. The current firmwares 2.9 and 3.0 also randomly deletes all other data. I have lost all Activities (just gone from the folder, with one oddly named file left). Another time I lost all Profiles, Settings, and Bike data, and even after a master reset, the device was completely messed up. I had to re-format the filesystem, and have the device re-create the default data and folder structure to get going again.

I can only hope Garmin's next revision takes care of this serious file system corruption bug.

BTW, I love how Garmin added the word "seemingly" to the sentence "Garmin is aware of this issue that some of you are reporting where the Edge 510 seemingly loses your data and settings". If it's only seemingly lost, then I guess it's not entirely as bad as it sounds.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:19 pm 

That is why I upload my rides to three different online services (Garmin, Strava, Cycling Analytics), save files from my Edge 510 directly to my desktop computer hard drive and then an external hard drive and upload to my laptop to analyze with GoldenCheetah.

Enought redundancy and backups built in that I am not worried about losing my data.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:23 am 

I do the same. But then I also backup the entire file system, as it was a pain to set up everything, bike profiles, pages etc, when the whole device got corrupted.

I have also lost all data points in a single ride 3 different times, as have many others.
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.ph ... the-middle
Only start and a few points before stop were recorded, but averages and totals etc were all correct. So now I run iPhone Strava as a backup on longer rides - a big hassle.

Fortunately, f/w 3.10 is out now, which fixes the deleted files problem. Hopefully it also fixes recording reliability, and other file system corruption issues.