Best Clinchers for $1500>$2000?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattlawro

by mattlawro

Hi Folks:

After the disapointment of my cracked Supersix frame, ive decided to rebuild my CAAD9 for this season.... will post soon... sram blk red, sisl, Ive sold my 303's and am in the market for a new set of clinchers....

I want clinchers because for me tubulars arent an option for my club rides and sportives. I want a wheel I can use for climbing and training without worrying about durability... :shock:
im considering:

1) Reynolds thirty two's
2) DT Swiss RRC's 32mm
3) Zipp 101
4) Hed Ardennes FR

Whats the WW reccomendations?

jdp211

by jdp211

How much do you weigh? Riding style? I'd go for a hand built option. Maybe a Stan's build or A23 rims on some DT190s would be pretty solid.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

terminus

by terminus

Reynolds 32 are best here, Zipp 101 are good but not worth its price, also my fav clinchers Dura-Ace 7900 C24, can get ~$1000

they are surprisingly aero: http://www.rouesartisanales.com/wp-cont ... -table.jpg

and amazing build quality: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/a-l ... el-factory

Horacio

by Horacio

Any interest in Reynolds 46'S?

Ghost234

by Ghost234

Shimano wheels are either absolutely amazing or pure crap. Many of my friends have had theirs warrantied multiple times. They had no hassle dealing with Shimano during the warranty process and spoke very highly of it. MY shimano wheels have been absolutely astounding. Zero issues, completely solid, very smooth. In the 3 years I've ridden mine I've only had to true them once - and that was because I hit a massive pothole so hard that I nearly went over the bars (even then it was a very light true).

Outside of that, I can speak very highly of Fulcrum racing zeros/ones.

Dustin

by Dustin

Aluminum clinchers begin and end with 101s.

Fulcrum 1s or 0s come in second.

Nothing beats a Campy hub, but Zipp is close (although, it will require more maintenance). The downer for Fulcrum is spokes that are $$$$. I didn't think that I'd ever sell my Fulcrum 1s. But I did as soon as I rode 101s (CAAD9, Red, SI SLs).

mattlawro

by mattlawro

I hear a lot of good and bad reviews for the 101s, my own experience with 303s put me off because for everyday riding the rear hubs needed servicing regularly.
I'm 6'3 and weigh between 92-95kg.

js

by js

Hi Matt,

I'm 6'4" / 82kg and had built up a pair of HED Ardennes rims into my 'ultimate, do-all wheelset'. I'd spent the previous few seasons on Reynolds and had tried using their carbon clinchers (DV46c) as my everyday wheelset, but found that the rims simply aren't up to it. As soon as you need to do one descent in poor weather, or in a crowd of not-so-good descenders (sportives), you will need a new rim. Fortunately, I lived in the prairies at the time, but even still, the experiment only lasted a few months before I needed to buy a proper everyday wheelset.

The one issue with the HED wheels is that the hubs are crap. Gorgeous bearings to start with, but worse then the Zipps for durability.

Having been impressed by the DT Swiss 240s hubs on my Reynolds wheels, I built my HED's with these and I've been very happy. The only caution that I'd provide is that I chose to build them 20/24 to keep the weight down (1440g as memory serves), and as a rather aggressive rider (I often 'skip' my rear wheel cornering in races), I do bring the rear wheel out occasionally, but it trues up easy enough and holds true well... until the next crazy attack in a corner!

(Un)Fortunately, I'm back into a sponsorship situation now and looking at selling my Ardennes, as I can't use them for a season and I need to move around A LOT. If you want to go new, I'd recommend a build similar to this (even using another trusted hub if you have the funds), with a consideration for 28h rear if you're particularly hard on equipment - 20h front should be fine.

I'm very confident in saying that clinchers do not begin and end with the 101's... these are lighter (~85g less each rim), stronger & more durable. In my opinion, that makes them better too.

Dustin

by Dustin

Curious...how can you claim the HED/ DT is a "stronger" wheel when you can bring it out of true while attacking a corner?

For what it's worth, I raced 101s last season, but am currently on HED C2 clincher built with White hubs and Aerolite spokes. 20/24.

js

by js

I think it's stronger because it has more spokes (some of which are heavier) , it's laced two-cross on both sides and the rim doesn't lag or wander when sprinting. 20 spokes with a radial DS didn't work particularly well for me in a much stiffer/stronger 808 rear build and during my rather extended test ride of the 101's, I found the same thing - up-hill attacks especially would result in brake rub.

I'm not claiming the 24-spoke, 2-cross rear is indestructible in any way, but in my experience/opinion, it's stronger then the 20-spoke, radial DS of the 101.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

I'm currently in need of a new set of wheels as the current mavic sle might be going to a new home. Where I live it's not very flat and has a decent climb here and there which is more where I prefer to ride.

I'm not sure which route to take, either the aero wheels again or some light climbing wheels.

My list consists of

Mavic cosmic SLR aero
Mavic R-sys climbing
Bontrager aeolus 3 D3 mixed

What are peeps recommendations?

Thanks
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Assuming tubs, why not zipp 404 or 303 having shopped around a bit...

Reasonable weight & should be just on your price line.

That's what I'd go with anyway..

Beancouter

by Beancouter

What about 202's? They have tested well and give something of a compromise between deep section aero and climbing wheel?

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

forgot to say need to be 11spd ready.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

LouisN

by LouisN

With your white and green 5 Series, only one choice: Bontrager Aeolus 3 D3 :D !!!
When you say mixed, you're thinking 5 rear ?

The more I look at them, the more I want...

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com