Light weight Aluminum Clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Snowstorm

by Snowstorm

I know a lot of people seem to ask about lightweight aluminum clinchers from time to time. So, I thought I would post my most recent build here.

Me: 6'4" 195lbs. Sprinter and generally suffer on the climbs. I was looking to build a cheap, light, and reliable (yeah....I know) aluminum clincher wheelset for the road races.
Budget: $500 (all-inclusive)

Build:
Stan's 340 Alpha Rims (24H/28H)
Bikehubstore.com Superlight Hubs
Sapim CX-Ray Spokes
Brass Nipples

Total weight: 1230 grams (verified on my luggage scale and a Park scale at my LBS). More weight could obviously be saved with a lower spoke count. A 20/24 build would be sub-1200 grams.

Total cost: $502. This includes all shipping, labor and tax. The wheels were built by a very experienced wheel builder at my LBS.

Thoughts: I am sure there are cheaper options out there, but this is the cheapest and lightest that I could put together that would be reliable at my weight.

I debadged the rims because the graphics that came on them were hideous
Last edited by Snowstorm on Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rainbowstripes

by rainbowstripes

Will be nice to know how those go for you....if you don't rip them apart....your builder is good.

Snowstorm

by Snowstorm

rainbowstripes wrote:Will be nice to know how those go for you....if you don't rip them apart....your builder is good.

Haha. Well these are not going to see any crit work, so I am hoping for at least some longevity. Although I put down a pretty good sprint (wattage-wise), I really haven't been too hard on wheels over the years. However, I generally am riding 50mm+ deep carbon wheels. I fully anticipate a noticeable decrease in stiffness if I get on it.

weaverdcivw

by weaverdcivw

I'd love to hear your feedback on the rear wheel when you get some rides on it. I'm the same weight and also put down some decent power. Rebuilding my rear wheel in a couple months (same spoke count and hub as yours) and have been mulling over using this rim. I'm using a 28h xr200 in the front and that's light/stiff enough for me. The rear will either be that Stans or an xr270, depending on how soft these end up being. I've been having a hard time tracking down feedback on these rims amongst the heavier folk.

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi Snowstorm, very nice ... do you think it would have been ok to do a 28H rear and 20H front for your weight?

MrMojo

by MrMojo

Nice build there at a good price. I've just gone for a similar build, not received yet but hoping for about 1175g to 1200g max. They've cost £700 from Just Riding Along in Sheffield. I'm about 172lb's and not a sprinter :wink:

Build:
Stan's 340 Alpha Rims (20H/28H)
Tune Mig70 Mag170 Hubs
Sapim CX-Ray Spokes
Alloy Nipples
2021 Colnago Master
2020 Colnago C64
2017 Colnago C60
2017 Colnago V1-R
2014 Cipollini RB1K
2008 Colnago Extreme C
2005 Colnago C50
2001 Colnago C40
1996 Colnago Tecnos

quattrings

by quattrings

Can people stop referring to their opbjects of minimal mass as Lightweight?
It is light weight, not lightweight and definatly not Lightweight, as this is something different entirely.

Thank you.

Nice wheels none the less.

jbf

by jbf

I will look forward to your experience with the rear 28H. I have built front wheels with the Alpha 340 with great success. I have held back from using the BHS rear with the Alpha 340 due to the combination of flange spacing/low max tension seemed to provide NDS spokes with too low tension for my taste.

weaverdcivw

by weaverdcivw

quattrings wrote:Can people stop referring to their opbjects of minimal mass as Lightweight?
It is light weight, not lightweight and definatly not Lightweight, as this is something different entirely.

Thank you.

Actually, Lightweight is correct. It's the beginning of a topic so the L should be in upper case. And light weight is correctly spelled as lightweight. See:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona ... 1327719297

I suppose you could nitpick at the capitalization of aluminum and clinchers but, who cares.

bricky21

by bricky21

:goodpost: :thumbup:

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

Soul S2.0
1330g
$500./shipped
210lb rider limit
I've only read good things about them.

Rim: N'litened Alloy rims. Machined braking surface with wear indicator.
Bearings: Japanese High Grade Stainless Steel sealed bearings.
Hubs: SOUL Prodigy hubs, 2 sealed bearings front + 4 sealed bearings rear.
Spokes: Double Butted and bladed 2.3mm X5 CrNi stainless steel spokes.
20 radial laced Front + 24 2 x cross driveside, radial non-driveside Rear.
Nipples: Brass, Aluminium (Black)
Skewers: 90g Lightweight Hollow Chromoly Axle (included)
Weight: 580g (Front) 750g (Rear), 1.330kg pair ( weight without skewers)
Weight Limit: 95kg/ 210lbs

http://bikesoul.com/2009/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=10

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

Snowstorm wrote:I know a lot of people seem to ask about lightweight aluminum clinchers from time to time. So, I thought I would post my most recent build here.

Me: 6'4" 195lbs. Sprinter and generally suffer on the climbs. I was looking to build a cheap, light, and reliable (yeah....I know) aluminum clincher wheelset for the road races.
Budget: $500 (all-inclusive)

Build:
Stan's 340 Alpha Rims (24H/28H)
Bikehubstore.com Superlight Hubs
Sapim CX-Ray Spokes
Brass Nipples

Total weight: 1230 grams (verified on my luggage scale and a Park scale at my LBS). More weight could obviously be saved with a lower spoke count. A 20/24 build would be sub-1200 grams.

Total cost: $502. This includes all shipping, labor and tax. The wheels were built by a very experienced wheel builder at my LBS.

Thoughts: I am sure there are cheaper options out there, but this is the cheapest and lightest that I could put together that would be reliable at my weight.

I debadged the rims because the graphics that came on them were hideous

I'd call those a "peace of mind" wheelset because you know EXACTLY what you got.

:thumbup:

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

weaverdcivw wrote:
quattrings wrote:Can people stop referring to their opbjects of minimal mass as Lightweight?

Thank you.

Actually, Lightweight is correct. It's the beginning of a topic so the L should be in upper case. And light weight is correctly spelled as lightweight. See:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona ... 1327719297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suppose you could nitpick at the capitalization of aluminum and clinchers but, who cares.

I'm sorry, but no. You're missing something absolutely vital in your argument: CONTEXT.
In this forum, Lightweight (whether or not it is beginning a sentence) as one word references the brand Lightweight by CarbonSports, Ltd. That is the context of this forum. When we see "Lightweight" as one word, especially capitalized, we look for products under the Lightweight brand. You can search plenty on this site, you'll find this has continually been an issue.

As you also pointed out, "light weight" as two separate words is acceptable - so please just change the thread title and we'll all be satisfied. Thanks.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

weaverdcivw

by weaverdcivw

prendrefeu wrote:
weaverdcivw wrote:

Thank you.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona ... 1327719297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sorry, but no. You're missing something absolutely vital in your argument: CONTEXT.
In this forum, Lightweight (whether or not it is beginning a sentence) as one word references the brand Lightweight by CarbonSports, Ltd.

No, it's called proper spelling.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weaverdcivw

by weaverdcivw

I'm pretty sure a wheel company did not invent the word "lightweight".