Light weight Aluminum Clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Thanks F45...

Rex

by Rex

I'm going to Belgium next year for the ToF & PR sportifs which will be my first foray into cobble cycling.

What would be peoples recommendation for a new wheelset considering I'm 85kg ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Tubs or clinchers?

Rex

by Rex

Sorry, clinchers.
Shimano hub

istigatrice

by istigatrice

@Rex

If you're on a budget, I'd recommend BHS C31w rims (Kinlin XR-31T)
Sapim race spokes, brass nipples
Novatec/BHS hubs 28f/32r, 2x front and 3x rear. (you might even be able to get away with 24f/28r)

They won't be light, but they should hold up if built correctly. If you don't want to source all the parts yourself, BDOP cycling has a DIY alloy road kit, which in the 28/32 flavour should be suitable and comes in at 1730g (which would be a good estimate for the build I suggested too). I've bought the 20/24 flavour and am happy with it.

If your frame can't take wider rims the Kinlin XR-270 could also be a suitable rim, but if your frame takes wide rims I'd pay the weight penalty for wider rims+ wider tyres on the cobbles.

What's your budget, and can your frame take wide rims/wide tyres?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Rex

by Rex

Cheers for the response.

My frame can handle the width so thats not a problem.
I have Hope 24/28 hubs which I'd like to use.

I'm thinking either Pacenti or HED Belgium Plus rims at this stage.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Both rims you suggested are great too, a touch more expensive but if you can afford them I wouldn't hesitate.

I'm not sure what the stiffness is like on the new Pacenti rims, so hopefully someone else will be able to chime in here, but I'd be more inclined to recommend a 28/32 build for those rims given your weight/cobbles. Maybe someone more experienced with this rim can chime in?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Rex

by Rex

I'll have a chat with my wheelbuilder (MelodyWheels) and see what he says.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I would do a 24F/28R with the Kinlin XR31T that the BHS rim by the way with hubs of your choice and CX-ray spokes. You could use a 20F/24R set.

I did PR quite quickly this year on a 24F/24R disc brake wheels. I am 82kg. The wheels held up the rider did too.

If you have clearance the Challange strada Bianca tyres (although I have not tried fitting them to these rims yet) make the cobbles doable at pace They just soak up the lumps and bumps. Use Latex tubes and 55psi front 60 psi rear. They are 30mm wide which is why you need clearance.

Multebear

by Multebear

Rex; you Can easily get away with 24/28. My weight has fluctuated between 81kg and 92 kg and have done several 1.000 km on Kinlin xr19 rims. They are narrow and 406 grams each. And I haven't had any troubles at all. Actually I just rebuild the wheels with other rims because the kinlin ones were worn out. They were at 380 grams when I junked them. You will be safe with the heavier kinlin or pacenti rims.

Rex

by Rex

Excellent thanks guys.

Really surprised you ran your pressures that low. I haven't given that much thought tbh.
Did you get any pinch flats?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have done 3600km on these tyres at this pressure and not one flat. The tyres are not even worn out. I ride on crappy road and hit plenty of holes. These tyres made easy work of the cobbles. Some sections felt comfortable but that is a relative term when compared to the carefor or Arenberg sectors.

The XR31t rim is not narrow and 406g that is a different rim. The XR31t is 490g and 31mm deep 24mm wide. Ideal for cobbles. Actually is is my favourite rim full stop at the moment.

fishey334

by fishey334

Hey Guys

Im new here and Im guessing this is the place to be for lightweight allu clinchers. So yeah Im after a custom build and quite frankly im not too fussed about the hub. Will likely put on a Chris king of some sort.

So I would like some advice on what Chris king hub to get and then of course rims and spokes. Im about 70kg myself. would like it to be around 1200g at most if possible Thanks

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

CK hubs are a waste of money in my book. nice looking reliable hubs but if you simply want reliable hub there are many cheaper options.

for 1200g clinchers you have to use extralite hubs. CK hubs are too heavy to get close. clincher rims dont get much lighter than the Kinlin XR200 or the ryde pulse sprint.

To get lighter rims you will need magnesium rims and these are not exactly common.

Multebear

by Multebear

fishey334 wrote:would like it to be around 1200g at most if possible Thanks

Why on earth would you want 1200 g alu clinchers? You sacrifice much and you pay much. If you're not racing, then there's really no reason to get that low unless you just like to see low numbers on a scale and have a shitload of money to get there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com