Light weight Aluminum Clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mtnbkr

by mtnbkr

Snowstorm wrote:I know a lot of people seem to ask about lightweight aluminum clinchers from time to time. So, I thought I would post my most recent build here.

Me: 6'4" 195lbs. Sprinter and generally suffer on the climbs. I was looking to build a cheap, light, and reliable (yeah....I know) aluminum clincher wheelset for the road races.
Budget: $500 (all-inclusive)

Build:
Stan's 340 Alpha Rims (24H/28H)
Bikehubstore.com Superlight Hubs
Sapim CX-Ray Spokes
Brass Nipples

Total weight: 1230 grams (verified on my luggage scale and a Park scale at my LBS). More weight could obviously be saved with a lower spoke count. A 20/24 build would be sub-1200 grams.

Total cost: $502. This includes all shipping, labor and tax. The wheels were built by a very experienced wheel builder at my LBS.

Thoughts: I am sure there are cheaper options out there, but this is the cheapest and lightest that I could put together that would be reliable at my weight.

I debadged the rims because the graphics that came on them were hideous

What lacing pattern is your rear? Is the NDS spoke tension sufficient?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Snowstorm

by Snowstorm

mtnbkr wrote: What lacing pattern is your rear? Is the NDS spoke tension sufficient?

Yeah, sorry that picture is not exactly clear. The rear is just 2x. Honestly, I don't remember the exact NDS tension. Used one of the spoke charts for the DS and then dished it.

As far as an extremely subjective measurement....all of these spokes seem ridiculous tense (DS and NDS). Almost to the point of me wanting to go have all my other wheels in the house checked to make sure they are in the correct range.

tigoose

by tigoose

well done so far snowstorm. i like that you went 'outside the square' with a build i'm guessing most would'nt recommend for your weight.
i'm very interested in the durability too.
btw do you get any rubbing on the pads when standing etc?

mtnbkr

by mtnbkr

Snowstorm wrote:
mtnbkr wrote: What lacing pattern is your rear? Is the NDS spoke tension sufficient?

Yeah, sorry that picture is not exactly clear. The rear is just 2x. Honestly, I don't remember the exact NDS tension. Used one of the spoke charts for the DS and then dished it.

As far as an extremely subjective measurement....all of these spokes seem ridiculous tense (DS and NDS). Almost to the point of me wanting to go have all my other wheels in the house checked to make sure they are in the correct range.

I trying to decide if I'm better off doing 28H 2x with the uneven DS to NDS tension or 24H 16/8 with close to equal tension. I'm lightish, 150lbs, but I am a sprinter. I want something that will not be flexy.

quattrings

by quattrings

Seem to have stirred up the brown stuff again. :P

It's just that the first thing that came to my mind when reading the title was: Carbonsports are making Alu clincher now ? :shock:
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one :p

That said... Carry on

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

mtnbkr wrote:I trying to decide if I'm better off doing 28H 2x with the uneven DS to NDS tension or 24H 16/8 with close to equal tension. I'm lightish, 150lbs, but I am a sprinter. I want something that will not be flexy.

If this is the hub with the crappy DS offset, you might be best off lacing it 1x heads-in on the DS and 3x NDS.

weaverdcivw

by weaverdcivw

rruff wrote:
mtnbkr wrote:I trying to decide if I'm better off doing 28H 2x with the uneven DS to NDS tension or 24H 16/8 with close to equal tension. I'm lightish, 150lbs, but I am a sprinter. I want something that will not be flexy.

If this is the hub with the crappy DS offset, you might be best off lacing it 1x heads-in on the DS and 3x NDS.

This is real close to what I planned on doing when I rebuild my 28h BHS hubbed rear wheel in a couple weeks. 1x heads in DS 2x NDS. 3x a better option on the NDS or more or less the same?

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

3x maximizes the torque transfer of the NDS, and you shouldn't have a problem with spoke-head interference with 28h. On the DS I'd use CX-Rays with short butts on the J... it varies, so check. Alchemy can custom cut some if necessary.

EDIT: You could probably get away with round spokes too, but I'd avoid crossing them at the fat part if possible. Also bend them inward a bit when tension is light. A rubber hammer right at the J works well.

Snowstorm

by Snowstorm

tigoose wrote:well done so far snowstorm. i like that you went 'outside the square' with a build i'm guessing most would'nt recommend for your weight.
i'm very interested in the durability too.
btw do you get any rubbing on the pads when standing etc?

No rub at all standing (but I don't keep the pads as close to the rim as some....I would call my brake setup average).

rruff wrote:If this is the hub with the crappy DS offset, you might be best off lacing it 1x heads-in on the DS and 3x NDS.

This is a good idea. If I start to go through spokes or find myself constantly truing these wheels, I will re-lace with this pattern. Spoke clearance would not be a problem at all.

Jameslee92

by Jameslee92

Any flex complaints? I was contemplating these, then read some flexing complaints from 170+lb riders. I'm in the 160 range but thinking cautiously is steering me to look at some Boyd's with 24/28 count.

Thanks.

excremanwu

by excremanwu

2ndgen wrote:Soul S2.0
1330g
$500./shipped
210lb rider limit
I've only read good things about them.

Rim: N'litened Alloy rims. Machined braking surface with wear indicator.
Bearings: Japanese High Grade Stainless Steel sealed bearings.
Hubs: SOUL Prodigy hubs, 2 sealed bearings front + 4 sealed bearings rear.
Spokes: Double Butted and bladed 2.3mm X5 CrNi stainless steel spokes.
20 radial laced Front + 24 2 x cross driveside, radial non-driveside Rear.
Nipples: Brass, Aluminium (Black)
Skewers: 90g Lightweight Hollow Chromoly Axle (included)
Weight: 580g (Front) 750g (Rear), 1.330kg pair ( weight without skewers)
Weight Limit: 95kg/ 210lbs

http://bikesoul.com/2009/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rear Hub : C to L Flange 48mm. C to R Flange 17.5mm. L Flange circle dia. 39.5mm. R Flange circle dia. 59mm
in the light of the flange distance, i guess it should be for 2:1 lacing...however i am wrong

Rokkala

by Rokkala

I just got some Stans 340 alpha wheels delivered, extralite hubs and cx-ray spokes in 28/32 as I wanted to ensure they stayed stiff!

Weigh in at 1245g with rim tape and stickers

Snowstorm

by Snowstorm

Rokkala wrote:I just got some Stans 340 alpha wheels delivered, extralite hubs and cx-ray spokes in 28/32 as I wanted to ensure they stayed stiff!

Weigh in at 1245g with rim tape and stickers

Nice! I will be curious what you think of the stiffness. I have now logged close to 400 miles on mine and I honestly don't have any negative things to say. No brake rub and they feel laterally stiff when climbing out of the saddle.

tigoose

by tigoose

hi
anyone tell me where the stans rims are made or who makes em?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Stans owns the rights/design to their own rims. They are not available under any other brand.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.