Light weight Aluminum Clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

tigoose wrote:hi ,anyone tell me where the stans rims are made or who makes em?

They are proprietary, but I've heard that Sun makes them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertg

by robertg

I own Sun Ringle 29er mtb wheels and the rims say licensed by Stans, they have bead socket technology, and they even come with Stans sealant and tape.

BobSantini

by BobSantini

excremanwu wrote:
2ndgen wrote:Soul S2.0
1330g
$500./shipped
210lb rider limit
I've only read good things about them.

Rim: N'litened Alloy rims. Machined braking surface with wear indicator.
Bearings: Japanese High Grade Stainless Steel sealed bearings.
Hubs: SOUL Prodigy hubs, 2 sealed bearings front + 4 sealed bearings rear.
Spokes: Double Butted and bladed 2.3mm X5 CrNi stainless steel spokes.
20 radial laced Front + 24 2 x cross driveside, radial non-driveside Rear.
Nipples: Brass, Aluminium (Black)
Skewers: 90g Lightweight Hollow Chromoly Axle (included)
Weight: 580g (Front) 750g (Rear), 1.330kg pair ( weight without skewers)
Weight Limit: 95kg/ 210lbs

http://bikesoul.com/2009/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rear Hub : C to L Flange 48mm. C to R Flange 17.5mm. L Flange circle dia. 39.5mm. R Flange circle dia. 59mm
in the light of the flange distance, i guess it should be for 2:1 lacing...however i am wrong

I was tempted by those wheels but I was put off by the apparent enormous L/R tension discrepancy.
In their blurb they say the hub is designed to use equal length spokes left and right.
I wonder if the spoke gauges are the same both sides.

I just don't see how these wheels can be reliable in the light of my received understanding of the requirements of spoke tension. In order to keep the NDS tension above 70 to 80 kgf the tension in the DS spokes must be 187 to 216 kgf. Those rims don't look to be capable of taking that sort of tension.
I don't understand it. :noidea:

However if they were laced 16:8 that would go a long way towards evening up the L/R tension.
r o y g b i v

HarryS

by HarryS

Ive ordered a set of these wheels a few days ago, Ill let you know what they're like and possibly measure them with a tensiometer when they arrive.

tigoose

by tigoose

snowstorm, hows the wheels holding up?

davej35

by davej35

Lightweight is a specific term. On the other hand, the term "light weight" generally speaking, can be used for any light item in the market.

tigoose

by tigoose

Snowstorm im still interested in how your wheels are performing. any more to report on?

jbf

by jbf

tigoose wrote:Snowstorm im still interested in how your wheels are performing. any more to report on?

I am also interested in how they are holding up. I have a set of the BHS hubs on the shelf and the correct size spokes on hand. I am waiting for some more input before I spring for the 340 rims. Let us know ...

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

You guys do realize that there are more than a few folks on here who have built BHS hubs + CX Ray + 340 rims and have been riding them for 1,000's of kms already, right?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

jbf

by jbf

prendrefeu wrote:You guys do realize that there are more than a few folks on here who have built BHS hubs + CX Ray + 340 rims and have been riding them for 1,000's of kms already, right?

Yes, and I've heard lots of complaints from several of them. I am currently riding a 340 on the front, 28H 2X. I built it last year and has held up fine. As an amateur wheel builder I put alot of time into my builds, so verification from the 195 lb OP is the best verification I can find if the mis-matched tensions of the BHS rear hub mate to the low tension 340 rim. My guess is that if built with care, it will hold up fine.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

152lbs (currently), 20/24 build with a 16:8 rear drilling, came out to a bit under 1200g.
9,853km logged so far on that wheelset specifically between last year and now. I don't know the total amount of climbing but I'll have to calculate that, whatever it is the number is very high. Maximum speed this year has topped at 51.2mph, it's only March. Wheels don't feel flexy, they feel plenty stiff. "Like on rails" no, but stiff enough for my needs. There is no break rub on the front nor rear while climbing. Never had to true the wheels despite some of the world's worst roads and construction zones in the city.

Hope that helps. :noidea:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

tigoose

by tigoose

prendrefeu wrote:152lbs (currently), 20/24 build with a 16:8 rear drilling, came out to a bit under 1200g.
9,853km logged so far on that wheelset specifically between last year and now. I don't know the total amount of climbing but I'll have to calculate that, whatever it is the number is very high. Maximum speed this year has topped at 51.2mph, it's only March. Wheels don't feel flexy, they feel plenty stiff. "Like on rails" no, but stiff enough for my needs. There is no break rub on the front nor rear while climbing. Never had to true the wheels despite some of the world's worst roads and construction zones in the city.

Hope that helps. :noidea:

With all due respect you ain't a 190lb sprinter by the sound of it. the op only has 4 more spokes out back so the durability of these/his/her wheels would certainly look as though it may be limited. i hope not so my interest is growing by the week for an update.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Also interested :)

getting dropped

by getting dropped

I have built a set for a strong Masters Cat 1 crit & road racer who has used them for a year as his race wheels. He has had no trouble with the wheels at all. He typically weighs 175lbs at the start of the season and is a sprinter/all around rider. Specs: 28H Rear BHS hub, 2X DT Revolution NDS, DT Comps DS with brass nipples, 24H 2x front DT Revolution with alloy nipples. The wheels are still going great - I haven't had to re-true them for him yet. He is running them tubeless with ATOM tires and Stans sealant.

If he weighed closer to 195lbs I would be a bit more worried about long term durability and would recommend higher spoke counts depending on how gentle the rider is on equipment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Razor

by Razor

jbf wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:You guys do realize that there are more than a few folks on here who have built BHS hubs + CX Ray + 340 rims and have been riding them for 1,000's of kms already, right?

Yes, and I've heard lots of complaints from several of them. I am currently riding a 340 on the front, 28H 2X. I built it last year and has held up fine. As an amateur wheel builder I put alot of time into my builds, so verification from the 195 lb OP is the best verification I can find if the mis-matched tensions of the BHS rear hub mate to the low tension 340 rim. My guess is that if built with care, it will hold up fine.

I have the exact same hubs, spokes, 24/28, alloy nipples but laced to Nio30's. They roll really nice when up to speed, very fast and smooth feeling. I have the exact same lacing, rim, spoke/spoke count, nipple configuration but laced to Tune Mig 70/Mag 180. Both wheels feel stiff laterally, I am 170 and mash big gears.

The biggest issue I have with the BHS hubs (I am assuming it is a hub issue considering all other things being equal to my Tune built wheels), is that they accelerate nicely in low climbing gears but if I am cruising along at say 23mph and apply pedal force to increase speed, they feel sluggish initially but ok a few strokes later. Annoying more than anything. My Tune don't suffer this effect at all, maybe it is the Tune bearings that are the difference. I have some old Real-Design Supersonics, they are better than the BHS hubs in this regard even though the rims are heavier. Not sure what the deal is but I am happy with the BHS wheels as my back up/rain/crit wheels.